2nd Gen JCW Engine light on my brand new JCW

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 64vdub, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just bought a brand new 2013 JCW 2 weeks ago and it's already back at mini with a yellow check engine light on. I only have 293 miles. Is this typical ?
    I'm loving the car though.

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Small things can happen. That's why you have a warranty. Good luck!

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    2 weeks old? Take it back to the dealership.

Welcome to the world of MINI ownership. :Thumbsup:

4. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yup it's back at the dealership going on day 2 on the repair. Hopefully it will be ready tomorrow

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Just a small bump in the mini fun.

6. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    It's just experiencing a sound business practice:

Fail fast, fix it and be better.

7. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Sucks...but remember, it IS a British car......they have never really been able to build a highly reliable car brand........ever......but they sure are a ball to drive..

I have been lucky so far with my R56 JCW I purchased in February. 9K absolutely trouble-free miles, so hopefully you will get over this bump in the road and it will be smooth sailing.

Please let us know what they find out....I think it's weird it's been two days at the dealership before even a diagnostic result is completed.

8. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Going on day 4 and not even a courtesy phone call from the dealer. Now I'm really starting to get annoyed.....

9. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi. Give them a call. Don't wait for them. My .02

What MINI place is it being worked on?

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Did they give you a loaner?Who's the dealer? I smelled coolant yesterday while out running back roads. I stopped by my dealer and they immediately took the car in, put it up on the lift, checked everything, and offered me a free car wash. Some dealers are better than others. Call them.

11. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I did on the second day and the service guy had a total attitude spoke so fast about it being a possible vacuum line and turbo problem. That they are waiting on that part. And if they get time to road test I might get it back that day. Then rushed off the phone like I was annoying him. Well excuse me I'm wondering why my brand new car I just dropped a large sum of money on is still in for service. It's Habberstad Mini. And I've driven vws all my life and I have never experienced a problem or been treated like this. And yes I have a loaner. A crappy dodge dart with shot brakes. Fantastic to drive.

12. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    #12 Z06_Pilot, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

OMG, who is this dealer, so everyone in the tri-state area can avoid them....4 days, an attitude by the SA, AND a Dodge Dart as a loaner? something off the used car lot?

That is so not normal Mini dealer practice. As CHKMINI said, our dealer here treats us wonderfully well-I'm sure I don't get the same treatment as Mark as he is Mini royalty around these parts :wink: , but they are really good people. A loaner is always a Mini-always....

This sounds like a bad comedy routine: 'yea, I took my brand new Mini JCW in for a CEL and took home a Dodge Dart with bad brakes"...

I really feel for you. this is far, far from the typical Mini experience.

There is always the general manager you can talk to. Mini is a dot on the automotive landscape and a lot of their sales are word-of-mouth I would think, so a bad customer experience has a wide impact on a Mini dealer....

13. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The dealer is habberstad mini in Huntington station. This is also were I bought the car. And yes the dart is from hertz rental right next door and it terrible.

14. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if Hassel Mini in Freeport is any better?

15. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yup...
    Some dealers are great....some are just plain bad...shame....
    Any dealer (IMO) should be kissing your butt....they just deliver a car and comes back for a fix....
    Sounds like you should have a loaner... And then some...

16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Not to defend your dealer, but sometimes there is no loaner available. Quite possibly they did you a small favor renting you the Dog Fart. Also if you called or they called you when a bunch of folks were there dropping off or picking up that can cause what seems like a short snarking conversation. I wouldn't be happy about that either & I'd let the manager know.

Our local dealer has in the past told me they didn't have a loaner so I'd either have to reserve a loaner for a future time of be without a car. I'd have been happy with a rental, but it would have been on my dime.

Good luck with your repair. It sucks to have a new car back in the shop so soon. :frown2:

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I'm really sorry to hear that your having this problem. If your not satisfied with your treatment at the dealer I would call MINI USA. Also you will get a survey from mini after your service make sure you give them bad marks.

A Doge Dart? you've been put in car hell.

Yea but you have Dark Helmet. One look at it and the last thing they want is of it to be pissed at them. Dark Helmet may use the force to put the chock hold on them!:D

18. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok finally have the car back and gosh did I miss her!!!! So it was a section of collapsed vacuum line. CEL came back on during the test drive. Next repair was a pressure converter valve that had failed internally. No we are good and the car is much peppier I do have to say

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Glad it worked out for you. I guess the loaner really makes having your MINI back all the sweeter. :Thumbsup:

20. 64vdub

64vdub New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Glen Cove NY
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'll say. Lol