1st Gen JCW Troubleshooting Air Conditioner Problems

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Blasbo, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone point me in the direction of an air conditioner troubleshooting guide? I have an '05 JCW with automatic climate control and approximately 146,000 miles. The air conditioner has always worked fine until last Friday. I was on the interstate going about 70 mph and the control set on 68 F. Within a few seconds hot air started blowing out. The ambient temp was about 90 F. I turned the control to LO and got a few more seconds of cold air and then nothing but hot. The A/C light does light up.
    I searched the forum and looked in my Bentley manual, but I can't find a guide to diagnosing problems.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Since you stated that you more cold AC after a control adjustment I am guessing the compressor is still functioning.

Those symptoms are consistent with a catastrophic refrigerant loss. You could stick a gauge on it real quick and will likely see a pressure close to zero. If so then you need to take it to a shop to let them locate, repair, and then re-charge.

3. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. It did act like I just lost all the refrigerant at once. In the past when I've had similar problems it's always been a slow leak where it gradually got warmer.

I think I have a gauge to check it, If not I will purchase one.

I hope your guess about the compressor is correct. :smile5: I've been researching and replacing the compressor is some big bucks!

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #4 ZippyNH, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    One highly politically Incorrect way to check to see if it is empty...(possibly even illegal)
    The valve is similar to that on a tire on the low psi side...
    A quick push...you get nothing...you know you blew a line or had a big failure...if it puffs...then you can get a refill kit with a guage, and check the psi.......once you know it is full (a good starting point) you can then check for blend door issue or maybe an a expansion valve/ oriface issue...
    If it empty, be 100% sure you change the dryer once you fix the leak, then pull a full vac on the system...it is worth the $$...skipping this step can result in shortened compressor life and terrible cooling performance.....

5. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I like it. Quick and dirty. :D I will try it and go from there.

6. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Give it a visual check to make sure the compressor is turning. The clutch and/or field coil can have a problem and not let the compressor engage.

7. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ZipppyNH
    When I got to the car I couldn't remember if I was supposed to push high or low valve and if the A/C was supposed to be running or not so I did the following:
    1. Pushed the low side without the car running - no gas escape (normal, right?)
    2. Pushed high side without the car running - gas escaped (system is pressurized, right?)
    3. Started car and A/C and pressed low side - gas escaped (compressor is compressing, right?)
    Next step is to put a pressure gauge on it and see what it reads.

8. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Rawhyde, it did look like the compressor pulley was spinning although it was hard to be sure looking down from the top.

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...I'd check it with a guage/refill kit...make sure it is full...I'd assume since you found gas in the system, you did not have a castrospic failure like a chafed line or split condenser that let the gas out...I've seen this happen once...looked like a small fog cloud around the car..it was parked, and the ac was running...
    If the psi is too low...a pressure switch will shut off the compressor...but I would expect the temp to slowly go up in that case....not rocket up...
    When started after sitting, did the ac work? Even for a few seconds?
    You said you set "lo" so I am assuming you have auto climate....
    The the climate system in the mini works is the heater core is full flow, always on...that is why that general area can be hot all the time....and a set of blend doors, open and shut to give the right output temp,....wondering if the system got messed up somehow...an actator failed,etc...
    Some of the tools floating around can read error codes from the bcm... These codes are not typically found with a regular odb2 reader....a jammed bled door, etc would leave info...

10. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Got a gauge, static high and low side both 105; both 115 with A/C on LO.
    Took the splash guard off and with it up on ramps from underneath I could see the pulley was not turning.
    According to this video [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CqN8jE520"]Diagnosing A/C clutch coil using a R50 Mini Cooper - YouTube[/ame] the clutch coil is out.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    When this happend I replaced the clutch magnet. I didn't even have to take the compressor lose to do it.

12. Blasbo

Blasbo Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a source for the clutch magnet? I've heard MINI only sells the whole compressor and I'd like to make sure I get the right thing.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I bought a compressor from a local junk yard for $100.oo and took it off it. I kept the compressor incase I ever need it. but you can get them off Ebay.

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Clutch-Coil-fits-Mini-2007-2008-2009-2010-and-more-/261417127484?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACooper&hash=item3cddacce3c&vxp=mtr]A C AC Clutch Coil Fits Mini 2007 2008 2009 2010 and More | eBay[/ame]

When I did mine I took the front bumper off and swung the radiator out of the way it makes it easer to get to.

14. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I noticed this was a old thread, but one thing I have found with my "auto"-climate control is occasionally it will stop blowing cold. Turning it to cold changes nothing. I have found that if I turn the setting to a high temperature, then start backing it down to cool, I get cool air again, and the issue goes away for several months. Just a suggestion if diagnosing.

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had my friend who owns his own shop and works on everything use his machine to fully drain / recover the AC. He did all the stuff he does on other cars and added a dye incase I have any leaks and recharged the system.

I have not had an issue in 4 years. :Thumbsup: