2nd Gen JCW Need help! Motor problems.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Amphib0410, Sep 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've owned a '09 JCW Clubman for about two years. It's got about 60k miles on the clock. Earlier this year I heard the infamous 'death rattle' and had the timing chain and tensioner replaced. Last Friday I got on the highway to head for home and the temperature warning light came on. It turned off after a minute or so. Fifteen minutes or so later the check engine light came on, so I decided to get off at the next exit, about four miles ahead. The engine died on the exit ramp with a big puff of white smoke and a strong smell of hot oil. I had it towed to the dealer and they are now telling me that the motor is destroyed and needs to be replaced. The estimate is $12k. Ouch!! I need some advice, please.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Put a used engine in it and have it done by an independant MINI shop.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Did the dealer indicate what broke?

If it was timing chain related and you had the dealer do the work, isn't there some warranty period involved?

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Smells fishy to me.

Also, Welcome to MA!

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sounds to me like you overheated it - driving 4 more miles to the exit after the temp light came on - find a used motor, whatever went wrong is now your fault, not the dealer's.

When the warning lights came on you should have stopped and called for a tow truck.

I agree, find a used engine and motor on......

Anyone wanna take any bets on whether there will be a second post from the OP?

I hate these one post "my car blew up right after the dealer worked on it" threads.....they just sound so much like trolling for business from a lawyer.

7. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm in north New Jersey. Does anyone know any good independent Mini shops nearby? The dealer can't tell me what's wrong, other than the motor severely overheated. They're definitely in the 'remove and replace' mode, rather than repair.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! why can it not be rebuilt? I would call an independent shop and get a second oppinion. But I agree I would go the used engine rout.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Call Helix they are in Philly. They are a VERY good shop. It will be worth the tow to have them do the work.

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    An independent shop that is not a stranger to MINIS will serve you well and save you a decent amount of money. Good luck with your repairs and Welcome to Motoring Alliance !!

11. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA. I wish you didn't have to look for us under such horrible circumstances. Like several others, I think your best option is to get a good used engine and either install it yourself or hire a trustworthy independent shop.

Try to get the dealership to give you some more specific diagnosis than it overheated and needs replacement. It could be rebuildable.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Give Helix a call. There is a MINI savant there, don't be put off by his demeanor or blue mohawk.

13. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of your replies. Here's where things stand right now.

First, the dealer reduced the quoted price for replacement of the motor from $12k to $8k.

I contacted an independent Mini shop (Helix) and they ballparked the motor replacement at $8k. I also contacted a local mechanic who's done some other work for me in the past (not on the Mini). He also quoted $8k, but his price was for a used motor with 21k miles on it.

Since $8k is still a truckload of dough, I called Mini USA. They offered to throw $1k into the pot, reducing the cost to $7k.

Here's what's really bothering me. About 5k miles ago (and three months before the timing chain replacement) I had the car into the dealer's shop for an oil change and brake job. They reported that the water pump was leaking and its drive belt was cracked. I had both of these items fixed. Now, here I am only a few months later with a cooked motor. It seems to me that the overheating had to be caused by either a water pump that wasn't working properly or loss of coolant - the two things that I paid to have fixed only a few months ago.

It just doesn't seem right to have to pay $7k for a repair brought about by the failure of a system I recently had repaired and for which I had such little warning. Am I missing something or looking at this the wrong way?

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Seems logical to me. How long was their work warranted for?

I can this Helix is one of MA's supporters. They may be more but they will do the best work.

15. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    MCS02 - Good question. I'll find out tomorrow when I meet with the Service Manager.

16. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    What kind of warranty comes with the engines? I think that putting 7 grand into a new engine for an '09 is questionable UNLESS it comes with a great warranty. Also, if it were me, I would go with Helix, even if it is more $. You don't get the reputation Helix has by doing bad work...

17. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I met with the Service Manager at the dealership this morning. The warrantee offered for the replacement motor is 2 years with unlimited miles in that period.

18. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's become painfully clear that I screwed myself big time by not stopping the instant I first saw the overheat warning light. Apparently just because the light went off didn't mean that the engine wasn't still overheating. The Service Manager explained to me that the light would have gone off when the coolant level dropped too far.

At this point, it seems that going ahead with the repair at the dealership is my best option. Used JCW motors are few and far between and they're not cheap. My loan balance is too high to make junking the car a viable option. I lose Mini USA's $1,000 contribution to the job if I go to an independent shop.

19. Amphib0410

Amphib0410 New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It seems like almost all online forums have a arrogant ass who's quick with opinions but not much helpful advice. Thank you, Minidave, for identifying yourself as that person here.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Well, we do get a lot of people that pop in and ask a question about some horrid thing that has happened to their MINI. We offer explanations and and sometimes advice. Yet we never see or hear from that person again.

I thank you for coming back and letting us know how the situation is being worked out. So few do.