2nd Gen JCW TRANSMISSION!!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Magician, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Magician

Magician New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have 32k on my 09' JCW and the clutch is slipping in high gear!! What the !!
    I've never heard of something like this.
    Is there a recall on the clutches or something of the sort?? Unreal!!
    Phil

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, it's not a TRANSMISSION! problem, but rather a CLUTCH! problem :biggrin5:

Some people have had to replace their clutches in the R56 early, most figure it's due to something the driver does as most seem to last the normal amount of mileage, around 100K.

The clutch in the R56 is so much lighter than the R53 that it's very easy to slip it and not realize it....not saying that you did anything, just that it's been the general experience.

If Valeo makes a clutch kit for the R56 I'd put one in, I've done a number of them in R53's and they work a treat!

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Are you the original owner?

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Your higher gears are where you will first notice a slipping clutch, from my experience.

Why it is slipping at 32K is the mystery. Like Qik said, are your the first owner?

CD

5. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Dual mass fw failure

Once apart you will find the dual mass flywheels inner plate, where the clutch disc mates to, will have something above .100 in-and-out movement, making the disc engaging surface a "wobbling, inconsistent surface".
    This is very typical of the DM flywheel in R56 models. The DM FW in R53 models would screech on cold take offs somethimes but they never failed as spectacularly as the second gen flywheels.
    SO you are experiencing a FLYWHEEL FAILURE that is killing your clutch. JM Turbo Coopers has an excellent lightened STEEL one piece FW that works great with a stock clutch or one of their upgraded clutches.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Never heard of a slipping clutch huh?
    Well...time to read up!!
    Sounds like you need one.
    Yup....lots of folks have burned them up in similar miles. Congratulations!!
    As the prior poster said, it may be a flywheel failure....but still...car is old enough, it gonna be your $$.
    Sorry not to be giving you sympthy, but with clutches on a higher performance car, you kind of expect them to be short lived....sure some of us go 100,000 milesor more....but guessing from the age and miles if the car, it is a weekend runabout car...so driven harder than a daily driver....so that equals shorter life.

7. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Driving habits/behavior.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Usually, but there have been some instances where it wasn't, just like MM wrote.

On the JM site they show a Valeo clutch, but no flywheel - the R53 you can get a whole clutch/flywheel kit from Valeo, it's only about $400 too!