2nd Gen JCW New Mini Owner 2009 MINI JCW With A Few Questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Dec 30, 2016.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So im about to finish buying a 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW. 75k miles well maintained in serviced. Ive always wanted a mini and glad im finally getting one. But i have a few questions. I really enjoy performance mods for my car (trading in a semi modified 2011 Mazdaspeed3). I haven't really found any clear cut things you can do to a mini. So i have a few questions

1. Is it possible to upgrade the turbo in this to something a little bit bigger without killing the engine?

2. Is there some type of accessport? I read aroud that there was but cant find a single thing.

3. Noob question I know, but is the 2009 JCW a r56? Or a different R.

4. Is it safe to out a wideband and boost controller on a JCW?

5. What are the best mods for a mini?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

You have an R56. I'm sorry I cannot be of any other help as my other MINIs are an '03 R50 and two '06 R53s.

3. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. I've got a JCW r55. I just put a Frankenturbo in it a few weeks ago and had it tuned the other day. Nice improvement-I needed a new turbo and this was more cost effective as well as a nice upgrade. I understand a different downpipe could yield some nice results too.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Cobb quit making the Accessport in 2012. but they are still available for sale if you look around. The factory doesn't support them anymore. I have one and like it. There are other companies that sell tunes now.

All JCWs have the same designation as their bodystyle, R55 JCW, R56 JCW, etc.

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Welcome. There's lots of good advice here.

I don't know if your MINI is going to be a daily driver or a weekend toy. Some mods are likely to improve power, while at the same time, degrade drivability.

I'd suggest, as you look into mods, ask people here about their experience with both performance, and drivability.

CD

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Be careful Modding a Gen 2 mini. That engine does not seem to like it when too much is done to it. There is a lot you can do to make it handle better though. If you really want to do a lot of modding to the motor you would be better off with a Gen 1 mini.

But I am a Gen1 guy so the Gen2 guys will be of more help. Welcome to MA!

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What ever you do power wise to an R56 you need to remember you need walnuts and to change your oil at 5,000 miles.

It you want to really mod a MINI buy a first gen R53 2005 - 2006.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    I don't have any second generation advice as I own first generation but I can welcome you to Motoring Alliance.

9. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    haliphics,

Welcome to MA.

I'm actually new here also and essentially have similar questions... though I'm in a little different position. I'm currently finishing an 88M5 build/restore. A mini build will be my next project. So as I find stuff, be happy to share it with you.

Regarding your 3rd question, do you have a R56, it looks like you have a R56-S+JCW based on Outmotoring's site (one of the sponsors). Here is a link to a page that shows the different models.
    http://www.outmotoring.com/how-do-I-find-out-what-mini-cooper-model-I-have.html

Questions:
    1) What type of power are you trying to get out of the car?
    2) Are you looking for bolt on or are you going to go into the engine?
    3) Street only, Weekend warrior.. other?

Frankly, I'm trying to find a page that shows all the different models, their specs, etc. Anyone know of one?

I'm curious as to the groups comments regarding modifying this engine and the issues. Personally, I've found a turbo engine is easier to get more power from (if you don't mind going into the engine) than a super charger. Does anyone know:

1) The weakness in the engine and why it doesn't hold up?
    2) What type of power will it sustain before it breaks?
    3) Any tuners who are really focused on Mini's. (Looks like

I just drove the 2016 JCW. While it was nice, the ~230HP is OK but personally think more like 280 - 300HP would make the car a bit more fun with 350 making it a hoot. That said, with front wheel drive I'm concerned about torque steer (Had a VW Corrado before and that was an issue)..

Yes I have lots more research to do!

Thanks,

wjosh45
    Soon to be mini owner... but don't know which one yet.

10. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    OK - so this had me curious, started looking for stuff for this engine. Did a quick search, here are two I found. Again, note I do not know these cars in depth yet, so really more looking for places to start looking:

Revolutionmini (Sponsor) seems to be tuning these. They have a R56 big valve head good to 35psi, tune for what they call a big turbo (I think is your JCW turbo, so not sure if this head is significantly different than yours)
    http://store.revolutionmini.com/

MiniMania (Not sponsor) - Stage 3 Tubro Kit
    http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMK1015/Mini-Cooper-Stage-3-Upgrade-Kit-R56-R57-2007-2010?gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDcc1Q12E5SufJiAlO9Tzbxo7yYK5T22ODsB4U4xwlDAgoaAnRG8P8HAQ

They also have a R56 specific page where they put most common parts: http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper_R56_Parts_and_Accessories

I would probably call revolution to get more details.

wjosh45

11. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #11 Guapish_Fliver, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    I foresee many hours of limp mode in your future. I'd plan on getting a second vehicle as a run-around if you seriously plan on subjecting yourself to this endeavor. Nothing about working on these cars is easy and the r56 will wear you down financially and mentally if your not prepared.

If your gonna try to put a big turbo on you should prolly start with Pistons and lower compression because these cars like to blow skirts off with raised boost. They run hot and are prone to detonation in general, but especially if your not shooting walnuts at the valves all the time. (Fart). The ecu is only capable of 25psi and I don't know of anyone on the forums with an actual running 300+ hp 30psi r56 that's made it past 5k miles.

Im in the process of testing unknown "sustained power" on a 47mm, it was hard to get it to make 25psi being as the intake path takes the longest route possible (8ft or so) to the throttle body and there's many spots to leak boost.

I'll consider myself lucky if my car makes it 10,000 miles. I'm at around 500 miles of hard driving currently. Not sure if I can or want to tow my little trailer with it anymore and I'm pretty sure the heat generated by the larger turbo likes to kill coils. Sometimes I'll pull up to a gas station and can't even hold my hand on the hood, the engine bay is small and the motor runs that hot. The intercooler blocks the rad, and the turbo, exhaust manifold, and downpipe all sit in close proximity in a little heat tunnel.

If you do a custom turbo, head, plumbing, this and that, it's going to be pure hell getting the car tuned right with Canned varieties. There's few people who do it and I was very lucky to have a tuner in my state (Jzw) who was able to take the car for an extended period and figure out a custom tune via data logging etc. When I spoke to rmw a few months ago he said he only tuned r53 but that could have changed idk.

The car is fun but not amazing. The torque steer isn't bad and I actually like these cars steering with the manual rack and electric assist. I'll post Dynos in a few weeks when I want to spend some more time and money on it. Wish u luck! Only run ACEA a3 b4 oil if you want to change every 5k! :Thumbsup:

Attached Files:

12. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    That photo is pretty big, it is hard to see without a lot of mouse action.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup

R56 motors are like glass and they do not like modified unless you build up the whole motor. You can not just add a bigger turbo and have more power. The motor will go boom.

14. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Good information - Appreciate it.. helping narrow thing down for me pretty quickly.

Essentially if you want real power from the R56 you start by pulling the engine. I think I remember reading somewhere this is not a BMW engine which I found odd. Have to look that back up.

If you know your going to open up the engine from the start, would you still go with a 2005 - 2006 R53 or does it matter?

What kind of HP can you get from a R53 without going into the engine and with going into the engine?

Do the new 2L hold up better for tuning (or does anyone know)..

Maybe just do an LS1 swap.. :idea:

Typically would have more research done before I even ask these questions, but since the thread was opened, ask.. and appreciate the help. I can tell already this is going to be an interesting... and painful. :donut1:

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have a 97K on my car and I am making over 250 whp. The R53 motor is strong but like anything else you have to plan what you are going to do.

R56 motors are like glass, as in you can mess with it a little but if you go for Big Power it's going to break and require a new motor.

I still have stock bottom end crank, pistons, rings. I added a 15% pulley, RMW big valve head, RMW Cam, 550cc injectors, RMW street header. RME / JAN custom tuned my car on the Helix dyno and I have been running for 8+ years with no issues.

I also have a full custom suspension and upgraded brakes because when you go fast you also need to stop fast.

16. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Dave.0 and Guapish_Fliver - Thanks for the info.. basically, if I'm interpreting this correctly if I want to modify the car for ~300hp/250whp go with 05 - 06. Even with a bottom up rebuild of the R56 it still will be very fragile... What about the newer 2.0 turbo (BMW 2 series engine I beleive).. I need to do some research on that, but $$ maybe above my range.

Dave.0 went and looked at your garage, looks like you have a very well setup Mini.. pretty much the formula. Essentially if you use the standard 20% loss theory, you are at 300 crank/250 whp. You feel that is the right HP? From my reading only the manuals can have LSD. Looks like you put a "Forge" power steering rack on and Guapish_Fliver mentioned the manual or elec assist rack. Does the rack need to be changed, or was this for some other purpose.

Also looks like you started with a JCW car, considering the work you put into it, if you purchased today would you start with a JCW or a S model? I'm seeing a few "S" models in the 05 - 06 years that look clean from around $6K - $9K depending on miles etc.

Regarding brakes, suspension etc. Fully agree most people add power but no way to stop/handle. That's not how I role, need to be able to stop coming into 10a at Road Atlanta.. =)

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I still have OEM steering the picture just shows the forge PS fill can.

18. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Dave O. and Guapish Fliver are all wet.

Dave O hates anything that isn't a series one MINI and Guapish has had a series of bad experiences with his series two MINI that have left a bad taste in his mouth. Their opinions are not representative of actual heartiness of series two MINI engines.

For the bleeding edge of N14 engine modification look at Ole' Brokenwind's threads at NAM.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/309197-oldbrokenwind-s-phoenix.html

There is a lot to read but it's worth it.

19. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So after reading everything. And exploring around.

Slapping Anything bigger than the stock turbo on is dangerous even at around stock boost or pushing the stock turbo to a little higher boost?

Also this might be dumb what what are walnuts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok #1 the NAM is full of idiots just like LXM. They know nothing about modifying a MINI motor of any generation. That is why all of us left or were banned.

Second one guy with one R56 that is "kind of" built, but is not reliable at all does not make the R56 a great motor.

Any reliable MINI making big HP is an R53. Sorry Dave if that hurts your feelings but, it's a known fact and has been proven over and over. Even big sponsored race teams that run R56 and ugly F56's rip put the OEM motor and install better "built" and stronger motors.