2nd Gen JCW Maintenance Question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Mar 16, 2017.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So today Is the day I need to change my oil. While doing so I'll also be doing the spark plugs since I just go the car and rather do them all at once. So in my misadventures and about to do the spark plugs. I try to remove them and the socket keeps spinning. I try a size bigger and a size smaller and it keeps spinning no matter the size. I keep reading around and find different answers but can't find and exact one. Which brings me to my questions. My car is a 2009 Mini JCW

1. Are the Dealership spark plugs a 14mm or a different MM/(saw) and are they a 6 or 12 point socket.

2. And before I have to make another run to my part store and rather confirm it. Is the oil filter a 27mm socket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You need to use a long reach 14mm, thin wall, 12 point socket..... Outmotoring sells them...
    http://www.outmotoring.com/bi-hex-magentic-spark-plug-socket.html

27mm oil filter socket...

Suggestion
    Only use oem or Mann oil filters.... Never aftermarket.. Pay attention to the large "O" ring on the filter housing... Apply a light coating of oil so it doesn't roll up when you reinstall the housing or you will rediscover the oily fountain of utes is located in your engine bay....

And of course, only synthetic oil...

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #3 Qik, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    :cornut:

4. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks you. Finally finished everything up. After having the right tools. The general maintenance on it was easier than most of the vehicles I have owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jamaica2G

Jamaica2G New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Gardener of Gingiva
    Orlando, JAX, FLL
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm just getting into the Mini maintenance since the factory maintenance program is gone.

If driven hard, how often will the automatic transmission fluid require changing? I occasionally autocross the wife's JCW when my car is not working. The brake pad notification came on, I believe it was followed by another soon after (wife's car, she sees it daily). In resetting the pad light, I think I may have reset both notifications. I'm going to change the engine oil and brake fluid regardless, however we are approaching 50k miles and I don't want to take a risk. Thoughts?

Are auto transmission fluids every 45-60k or more like 75-100k?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Adrian

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    MINI says the ATF is a "lifetime" fluid, tho they never say who's lifetime! :biggrin5:

I changed mine at 60K, however, even that is a bit of a misnomer, as draining the pan only gets you a small percentage of the fluid, most of it is in the torque converter. So I drained, it - refilled it 4 times, to try and dilute the used fluid with as much new fluid as I could.

There is a procedure for doing this you need to follow.....

Bring the temp up tp 90-100*F, remove the drain plug, then remove the standpipe and drain fluid. Reinstall the standpipe and add fluid - warm trans up again to 90 -100, and add fluid till it just dribbles out, install plug. Run transmission thru the gears several times, then repeat......

It's a good idea to keep track of how much you drain out and add that amount till it's time to do the final check. Warm to 90-100, remove drain plug. Fluid should just dribble out - if it does, you're good to go. If it doesn't, add fluid till it does.

7. Jamaica2G

Jamaica2G New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Gardener of Gingiva
    Orlando, JAX, FLL
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's interesting.... life time ATF. Is that the same for manual transmission MINIs?

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    No NEVER. I change mine every 3 years because I am OCD. :Thumbsup::ihih::lol:

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Look up a guy that goes by Genik here on MA. He's a whizz at MINI maintenance.