1st Gen JCW no compression after head replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lumlumty, Oct 16, 2017.

1. lumlumty

lumlumty New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Real Estate, Kitchen and bathroom design
    Montreal, Canada
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

The timing chain on the car recently broke without any warning while I was accelerating from stationary. I was perhaps driving at 20-30 km/hr when this happened.
    The garage replaced the cam sensor and the cam sensor with no progress. They then opened up the valve cover and determined that it was the chain that was the culprit.
    So car the garage has done the following
    changed the timing chain
    TPR2 head was purchased with new cam and adjustable cam gear with new gaskets and APR head studs. The garage then claimed that the valves were leaking.
    I had the head checked by a local engine rebuilder and they reseated the valves and seats after the garage claim the valves were leaking. Forward to today there is still no compression.
    Do any of you have any ideas?
    I have been without a car since the end of July. At this point I will be storing my car by the time the car is all fixed I think.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's Thumper parts for you. Sorry for your luck.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Does this shop know what they are doing? There is no compression on any cylinders? Zero or just low? If there is no compression then I would say that the timing chain is not timed correctly. If it was too far off then they may have bent your valves. If you know the bottom end is good (pistons and rings) then they need to recheck that they installed the chain correctly and have everything timed right.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    I was thinking about this some more. You bought the head new? This was with new valves and seats. If someone sent me a head that I had to take to a machine shop to redo I would send it back, like over night give me my money back. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but if they did that bad of a job on the head you don't want it on your car. I would not want to be driving down the road and one of the seats come lose. I have built many a engine and only one did I use a machine shop that did not do their job, it cost me a lot of time and money.

So some one does not know what they are doing either the person that built the head or the shop that installed it.

I guess the only other thing I can think of is somehow the head gasket got screwed up but no compression on any cylinders. something smells like a dead pole cat.

Let us know what happens, it may help another mini owner.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well Thumpers parts have always been crap because he does everything my hand. I would not use any of his parts even on
    a Yugo

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Actually Dave, he spent 200+ at the shop to find Nothing wrong with the Head, and had the shop re-seat the Head anyways.. then reinstall the head and still NO compression.

7. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The cam phase will cause no compression in all cylinders.. he said the original problem was the cam .. I would check that before dissing on the already checked head work. BUT... this site will never change as long as the trolls are still here !

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Go back under your rock, no body wants your crappy handmade parts.

9. JrTr

JrTr New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you check the cam as suggested ?

10. SeanKidd

SeanKidd New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Check the rocker shafts, if you install them backwards, the lash adjuster won’t get oil and self adjust.
    Ask me how I know

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List