MoM Donuts - We gotta Move Locations

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Nathan, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The current location has gone down hill to the point that many at the June 20, 2015 gathering feel it is time to explore other options.

Criteria for new location:

• Available parking for the variety of cars in our little rolling car show.
    • Donuts

Locally to me there is Destination Donuts, they have awesome Donuts. Parking however, yeah, not so much.

Your ideas please...

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    A Tim Hortons seems to work well for us. Donuts, coffee, breakfast and things like oatmeal for the health conscious. Parking seems to be an issue at most because Saturday is a busy day for them. Being on the outskirts of town also is convenient for going on drives. Just some food for thought.

3. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I think exploring would be fun. Just set a different location every month. I mean for crying out loud! It's 1 day every month! I know I'm not an elder in this hodgepodge of a car enthusiasts club but I feel Tim's is getting a bit stale with me. I'd enjoy a change of scenery.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,659 / 2 / -0
    I feel any Tim Horton's is going to give us lousy service. It's a rare Tim Horton's that works well at anything. But any breakfast place IE donuts is going to be very busy on Saturday morning. The fact that we need a good parking lot for the rolling zoo-a-thon of cars makes it tough. I agree a place on the outskirts works for those who like to take a drive after donuts, I know this matters to some & not others. I've toyed with the idea of buying my sustenance at Panara & taking it to Tim's where I'd buy my coffee & kick tires. Let me know what you guys figure out. So many questions so few answers.

5. sethat46

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    How often do we drive any way? And when we do a drive, what's an extra 10-15 minutes getting out of town? I'd say stick to breakfast joints. I know you all love donuts and all but I think we need some variety. It would be interesting if we could actually go to a metropolitan area and people drive by and say "oh! There is a club of minis!" Or a "club of car enthusiasts like myself." And that's how we boost our numbers. We need recognition and then we can maybe have a full house when we go on drives like the river run where our club would get more notice than just 4 or 5 of us. I think for the most part if people aren't on our forum they have no idea we are out there and we only meet once a month in a secluded area of town.

Now, I know this isn't a topic on boosting numbers but it's a common theme or complaint of some that we just are a club of non-participants. If there was a club for anarchist we'd be closest. I'm using the word club very loosely. But we need to push to get ourselves out there. Maybe even!!!! And this is a big even! We could set up volunteer days or something where we actually do something for the community? Yea, it's a stretch I know. But things are stale and I think we need ideas.

Sorry for the rant.

6. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    You and Nick should stop whining about non-participation and do something about it. IMO, you are not going to change the mindset of the majority of the regulars here, so if you want something more formal you are going to have to create it. Yes you may lose people, but you have to decide what you want out of a "club".

Not sorry for the rant, tired of the whining

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #7 Metalman, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    If we grow big.... I'll direct traffic
    If we grow really really big we can do valet parking and I'll park the cars...
    If we grow humongous.... I'm outta here....

Any mom and pop place will probably have parking issues... You almost need to stick to a national chain... Or some strip mall with a large lot....

The new Giant Eagle Grandview Yard in on 3rd has a large new parking lot.... The Giant Eagle has a Cafe at one end with outside seating and sun umbrellas and on one corner of the lot is a new Panerai's... As a possible suggestion... They also have chefs that do speciality to order cookin...

https://www.marketdistrict.com/store-locator/store-details?number=1639

It's also centrally located and relatively easy to catch the freeway...

8. sethat46

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Not whining. Do you read that as whining? Read it in a different "as is" tone with an open mind. I'm just throwing ideas around bc it seems as if many of our qualms are spurred from disinterest. It's not just me and Nick FYI. I love MOM and am happy with most everything. I'm just really trying to get our motors turning... Meaning we don't have to just meet over food. We can play and have fun together outside of our cars too!

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't think of that as a rant Seth. it's your opinion. That is what we need. We have become stale. Like a Tim Horton's TimBit that rolled into the back corner of MoM's MINIvan, 6 months ago.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Also is near Cars & Coffee, so one could swing by there too to see if there is anything interesting.

11. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Even if it is not whining, my comments still stand. Do something about it. If you want something bigger, don't rely on the current activities. I see MINIs at a lot of the other things I go to, but very rarely people from MoM (there are some exceptions).

12. sethat46

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. However, my main focus right now is 1. Getting a new job and 2. Getting my car to run correctly. I'll try and cut out some time and maybe Nick and I will come up with some sort of action plan while we work on my suspension. Thank you for lighting a fire in my ars.

I do like that giant eagle idea. Maybe all we need is change of scenery.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #13 wmwny, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    I am REALLY out of the loop here...well, the "Columbus-let's-not-exert-ourselves-and-go-outside-metro-Cbus" guys' loop. For me, it's almost 100 miles just to get to New Albany.

I really enjoyed the drive to Der Dutchman as it shaved about a third off the drive for me. But, it's expensive and really crowded on Saturday mornings unless you get there REALLY early and not just straggle in. Way too many normal participants had "other things" going on, so not a lot of participants even showed up. I have seen that these "other things" usually arise whenever a donut run goes outside the city.

I suggest that you change the "club" name as well, from Mid Ohio Motoring to Columbus-Metro Motoring.

Like I said, I am REALLY out of the loop here, but I still make the drive over when I can. However, I think I am OUT.

14. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    The Giant Eagle idea sounds good. It is a somewhat central location. If I make it to C&C next week, I will swing over and see how busy the lot looks at that time in the morning.

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Piqua Motoring Society.....:devil:

Kinda like that...:ihih:

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The right side of the lot behind the GetGo over by the RR Tracks is usually empty.

Ferrari's welcome, there is a Fire station across the street, we are prepared.

[​IMG]

STATION 25
    Henry “Hank” Gowdy Fire Station
    739 W. 3rd Avenue
    Columbus, OH, 43202

17. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0

PMS!?!?!?

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Whatever floats your boat. I don't BIOTCH at distances. I come to New Albany when I can, but I see that a lot of members cannot be inconvenienced by driving a few miles out of THEIR way for a once a month get together outside the "realm". They always make up some lame-arse excuse to get out of coming.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We know it is borjkored. Suggestions, discussion, and humor are the solutions.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,659 / 2 / -0
    The whining could be the superchargers.... :wink:

When do we drive? I do whenever the mood strikes, I love to drive into the country for lunch & sightseeing. Folks are always welcome to come along, a few do but most don't. I used to put on disorganized drives once or twice a year plus Eric's Riverrun. I've stopped doing that. It is a lot of work. Mark has put on a couple of very nice brewery tours & Nick has done a few nice drives too. So yes there are drives. Lets not forget Eric's Riverrun that gets put on once a year, with only 4 MINIs this year, but lots of other makes. Want more drives Seth? Lay one out & folks may come to yours.

You guys are my friends & that's why I come to donuts. If we are now a club, elect your officer's or merge with LXM & I'll see you around sometime.

Have breakfast anywhere you want, but sit down restaurants really don't work well for a group that wants to be up & mingling with others. When this all started it was at the B&E & it did not work well for that very reason. That is why Aaron moved it to Tim's. Tim's is far from my favorite, but it works well.