Performance Upgrade: 2010 Cooper S

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by colinstros55, Aug 9, 2016.

1. colinstros55

colinstros55 New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick caveat, if there are threads that answer my question below, please refer me to that so I'm not wasting anyone's time!

I am looking at adding some HP to my MINI, reliably. I think 20-30 increase is what I want. What are the performance upgrades you'd recommend? Any specific brands or shops for the work? (I currently use Best Motor Werks near the airport) Any considerations I should have before discussing with a mechanic?

I've done some online research, but confess I don't know much more than the average driver, when it comes to this sort of stuff. I was thinking a good start would be to upgrade the intake and exhaust systems, but I don't want my car to sound like a lawnmower, so I really need advice on this stuff.

Thank you!

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Once you start modding you're going to sacrifice reliability. Does your car have the N14 or N18? If you just want 20-30 hp Get a tune, that'll be your easiest way to that power.

3. colinstros55

colinstros55 New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the N14 engine.

4. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    In that case, go overkill on maintenance. I recommend changing oil at half the recommended mileage. And for sanity sake run your VIN to see if you fall within the range to have your timing chain and guides swapped out by MINI. The N14 was/is notorious for having that issue. Check your oil every other fill up and top it off if needed.

5. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    +1

As a '07 N14 Driver myself maintenance is key before adding power. Make sure the engine can handle it.

That being said. Intake and exhaust will do little to increase power. They'll make more noise than power. I have both done and only because of my upgraded turbo (which I planned waaaay ahead for)

Manic can tune you for a good boost with they're stage 1 upgrade and should net you want you want. Plus it helps the car run soother and cooler, I highly recommend Manic for the N14 engine. I've run AP, DNA, and Manic and nothing has come close to the manic tune.

Back to my earlier point. Maintenance. Timing Chain, tensioner, water pump, thermostat/housing, vacuum pump, and high pressure fuel pump are all things that should be checked prior to increasing any power levels with the N14. Also If you do increase the power, do oil changes closer to 3-5,000 miles instead. If you run the engine harder the oil is going to degrade much faster. Cheap insurance.

Good luck and Motor on! :cornut:

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #6 Crashton, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    If you want faster get yourself some quality seat time & instruction. It is money very well spent. A skilled driver will outrun an unskilled one even if the the unskilled one has more pony's almost every time.

If you want more power for the bragging rights that's different. Many folks feel the need to add power for the joy of telling others how fast their car is & that's OK too.

Having a 2010 with miles on it I would be careful how hard you want to twist that engine with power adders. Yes you can add power, but there is no free lunch. It may cost you by removing the built in reliability the maker put in when the engine was designed.

Edit> As Griz says your maintenance needs to be better than the book. Make sure you have a solid base to modify. Compression test, leak down test & oil pressure checked.

You'll get more benefits by doing suspension mods.

Just my .02....

7. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry I had to :D

8. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    If you really want to upgrade your performance you should probably just trade it in and get a GTI/Golf R like several of us local guys did:D

In all seriousness, I agree with the maintenance advice offered above with what I have heard about the N14 engine. Why do you think you need an extra 20-30 hp? Are you on stock wheels, tires, suspension?

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I understand, but can you imagine removing what little is there? :smilewinkgrin: