Airbag scan tool - local?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by 03MC, Dec 19, 2016.

1. 03MC

03MC New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings folks, NE ohio mini newb here. Have owned an 03 mini, for almost a year, pretty happy with it so far.
    Unfortunately, dash airbag light just came on, and have found scanners online that say they'll work. Hoping to find someone in the Akron area that happens to have one that will work, and would be willing to plug it in, so I can see if there's really an issue, or if it's the notorious seat connections causing the headaches.

Can order one if need be, but as it seems to be use/vehicle limited, hate to spend the $ if I don't need to.

Thanks

rh

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I thought there was a recall on the seat cushion sensor. Might want to check into that. Not sure if it would cover your car the dealer can tell you.

3. 03MC

03MC New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Appreciate the response, I'd forgotten I read that over the weekend as well. From what I've seen, it was up to 10 years, 150k miles, whichever came first. Long past it on time, and it just passed 158k or so... And did call to make sure after I saw your post. Just called the dealer, they said only open item is power steering recall... So for them to check it, 120$ to plug it in, plus time and parts from there. Hate to do that if it's just the sensor bounced when I moved the seat.

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I checked my air bag recall notice, it's recall campaign #15V-205. To quote the page: "BMW AG has decided that a defect...exists in certain model year '05-'06 Cooper and Cooper S and certain '05 - '08 Cooper and Cooper S convertible vehicles."
    Check with an area dealer to see if there is one for the '03 or contact MINI directly at 866-825-1525 or [email protected]

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    take the gage apart and put a piece of tape over the light, problem fixed.:D My light has been on for years. I believe it fails operational.

6. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    get a copy of ista/d and read the airbag codes, it'll reset the codes too

7. 03MC

03MC New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, slight updates, comments welcome.... Checked in with a dealer, and they said the only recall that is still open that applies to my car is for power steering, so I need to get it in for that.

As far as the airbag light... Would go the route of taping, but... figure since I do occasionally have passengers in the car, would prefer to get any safety items fixed if it's feasible to do so.

That said... I did end up ordering a little gizmo. Did a bunch of reading, and while there are a LOT of options out there, I opted for a simple handheld, instead of anything that would require a laptop to run. And, being right around the holidays, had to consider budget as well, so ended up with a Creator C110+ (If you're in NE Ohio and need to check something, give me a yell... I'm not too selfish... should work on more than just mine.) If that was a bad buy, please let me know that too. Always appreciate someone telling me when I goof, so I don't make it worse.

Ended up with a few different codes, though I'm not sure how it works. Figured codes were codes, not bouncing back and forth between clears. Got codes 50 Power supply, and F0 Internal control unit fault.
    Cleared those, checked again, got 04 Airbag, passenger, stage 1.

Will work on it more when the windchill is about single digits....

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I have an 02 R53. Mini USA sent me a sticker to put in my owners manual that said my airbag was covered for a 100,000 miles. when I got the light I called and they said that their was no such program. I told them about the sticker they sent me and I was told they knew nothing about it. :frown2:

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I disabled the airbags because all you need are seat belts. Airbags cause more injuries then they are worth.