British Extravaganza @ Buttonwillow Raceway

Discussion in 'MidCal MINIs' started by Firebro17, May 14, 2011.

1. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #1 Firebro17, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    16th Annual British Extravaganza presented by VARA
    Saturday and Sunday June 4 and 5, 2011
    Vintage Auto Racing and Car Show

This event is always well attended and is always a great time. If you've nothing else to do for the day, or the weekend, I'd highly recommend the excursion. Buttonwillow Raceway is located just west of Interstate 5, at the Lerdo Highway exit. From the Fresno area, take Highway 41 south to I-5 at Kettleman City. Take I-5 south to the Lerdo Highway exit. Go west on Lerdo Highway approximately 3/4 mile to the entrance of the facility. Remember this is June! It may be warm and you should plan accordingly.

Below is an overview of the information you may find helpful if you plan to attend the Vintage Racing and Car Show at Buttonwillow. This information was obtained from the VARA website. To access the Car Show Registration Form, simply go to the VARA website and locate the form. Print the form, complete and mail or FAX it back to VARA.

Entry Fee: $35.00 - Includes $10.00 gate fee, track drive at lunchtime Saturday and Sunday, Saturday evening BBQ

Late Registration Fee: $45.00 after May 28th

Checks may be made payable to: Vintage Auto Racing Association

For More Information: 1-800-280-VARA (8272)

2. HIBSFAN

HIBSFAN New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok,
    This is a terrific motoring event! Old British cars, new British cars, and some others too! I don't know if my MG will be ready for this trip...I may have to take the backup car...
    I hope that all the Mid-Cal people can come out and support Steve P. Come on Steve, let's whip the evil BMWs this year:Thumbsup:

3. western kingbird

western kingbird New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    John, I can only make it on Sunday, What is the sched. then ?
    also, what's the exact VARA website ? Thanks, Fred

4. Fast33

Fast33 New Member

May 4, 2011
    Driver coaching
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a fun event!

5. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #5 Firebro17, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    Fred...

It's at Vintage Auto Racing Association - Home Page

As far as the schedule, I'm not sure as to when our class will be out on Sunday. Typically though, the program begins around 0800 and ends by 1600.
    Jon.

6. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jon
    This looks like fun. I might do a Sat run and just come over and check it out. Can you just pay 10.00 the gate and watch the races?

7. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    YES! And, if you guys hang out long enough, there's a BBQ in the evening. Not sure on the cost but I'll check with Steve and post the details... Hope you can make it!

8. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok let me get this right. For 10.00 you can show up and watch. For 35.00(45.00 if late) you can run the track at lunch? Do you need a helmet?

I am going over on Sat. Can I bring my 10x10 pop-up for some shade?

9. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. The extra fees (above the 10.00 gate fee) are for the car show. And yes, the track drives are at lunch and no helmet has been required in the past... As far as the canopy is concerned, if you would like to bring it, you're welcome to. The shade is minimal there and what little we have available is covering the car. If you meet up with us at our pit, we will have an extra pop-up as well..... Hope you can make it and call me when you can for more specific details.

Jon.

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    At the British Extravaganza that I attended a few years ago, you did not need a helmet for the lunch time parade laps.

There is a covered observation tower that is a good break from the sun.
    People did bring pop-ups and had them setup at a few spots around the track. However, it can be windy so make sure to have weights for the pop-up to keep it from flying away.

Depending on what you plan to do at the track a Pop-Up might not be very useful. Last time, I spent a lot of time walking the pits and walking to different points around the track. When I decided to stay in one place, I headed to the covered tower. There is also a large covered patio with many tables for eating lunch.

11. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Points all well made and well taken... You should come over and meet up with us too! :Thumbsup:

12. western kingbird

western kingbird New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Martin, I got more info off the website. Thanks for the initial info, and all the other updates. Will see if I can go on Sun. Fred

13. HIBSFAN

HIBSFAN New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good -

Hope to see you there...as a bonus, weather forecast is, well, perfect :D

14. HIBSFAN

HIBSFAN New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no racing for Steve...

Just to let anyone who who is planning to come to Buttonwillow...
    Steve's car has a mechanical problem...he won't be running today...very disappointing

15. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Well, we're just gettin back in'ta the swing'a things after a rough couple'a days at Buttonwillow, ta say the least. Man was it great ta be back racing! As luck would have it Murphy came along for the ride and, well ya guessed it, he took charge late in the 1st session, keep'n us from our qualifier, and ultimately sent us back home a day early.

Never-the-less, all was not lost as we had a great time make'n a couple'a new MINI friends. What a great time sit'n outside - stay'n dry as it rained, share'n lots'a stories and techno info... everybody share'n and learn'n, exactly as it ought'a be when cars are the center of a roundtable discussion. Well that's mostly what we talked about..... Anyway, that's my take on a great time and what the whole Mini/MINI thing's all about...be'n able to be with friends, jamm'n down a few cold ones and just plain havin' FUN!

Can't wait till we can do it all over again!!! Visitors Welcome. :beer or not...

16. HIBSFAN

HIBSFAN New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jon -

Definitely a FUN time even though the racin' car didn't wanna play this weedend. It was great to meet some other MINI-types and do some bench racin' instead:beer

17. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Ya, it was just exactly that......... and no splinters either!