Mini News MINI USA Partners with Miles Ahead for MINI Performance Motoring School

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• First performance driving program ever at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    • Instruction from professional race car drivers
    • Program fleet exclusively uses MINI John Cooper Works Hardtops

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey – March 27, 2013… MINI USA has partnered with Miles Ahead to launch a performance driving program called ‘MINI Performance Motoring School.’ Hosted at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway beginning in the summer of 2013, the program will consist of performance driving instruction from internationally accomplished professional race car drivers, and offers the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a 2013 high-performance MINI John Cooper Works Hardtop. The Miles Ahead training will take place on the infield road course at the historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The MINI Performance Motoring School gives enthusiasts a unique opportunity to learn performance driving skills in an iconic motorsports venue. The program includes exercises for slalom / handling, precision braking, skid control, timed sector runs and instructor-driven hot laps. The John Cooper Works engine is MINI’s performance model, with a 208-hp twin-scroll turbocharged engine paired with technology developed for precision handling and responsiveness, making it the perfect MINI model for this thrilling driving experience.

“This program combines an amazing experience with learning skills that can be critical behind the wheel every day on the main roads,†said Jim McDowell, Vice President - MINI USA. “It is for the fans who really want to experience what a MINI is capable of doing, as well as test and refine their own motoring skills. The iconic track setting is an added bonus.â€

The new MINI Performance Motoring School is an extension of MINI’s partnership with Miles Ahead, which was established in 2011 to offer a teen driving intensive for new drivers. Created by Indy 500 veteran, Stephan Gregoire, and business partner Ted Woerner, Miles Ahead works to address the disproportionate number of collisions, injuries and fatalities involving teenage drivers.

Miles Ahead is the only driving school in the 104-year history of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway licensed to conduct driver training on its grounds. One car per student in the MINI Performance Motoring School program ensures a full day of behind-the-wheel exercises, and classes are capped at 14 students to ensure ample attention and guidance from the instructor team.

“The MINI Performance Motoring School is fun, yet informative, teaching a range of invaluable skills,†said Gregoire. “The sessions, which are expected to appeal to individuals and businesses alike, include instruction on skills that are rarely taught in traditional driving lessons, but need to be called upon in emergency situations on the road. It also provides ideal preparation for those interested in doing track days or even those who have just wanted to really put themselves to the test behind the wheel.â€

The international team of instructors is made up of some of the world’s most accomplished race car drivers, including Alex Lloyd, Stefan Wilson, Dan Clarke, Stephen Simpson, Zach Veach, Dillon Battistini, Ryan Lewis and Miles Ahead founder, Stephan Gregoire – a seven-time competitor in the Indianapolis 500, and a four-time competitor in both the 24 Hours of Le Mans and 24 Hours of Daytona.

The one-day program is $995, and class dates are available from June to November 2013. A double-up option is available for an additional $250, allowing a participant to share the driving time with a guest in their vehicle. Corporate event sessions of the program are also available. All participants must be over 18 and have a valid driver’s license. For more details about The MINI Performance Motoring School or to reserve a spot in one of the summers sessions, go to the Miles Ahead website at Home | Miles Ahead.

2. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    This is pretty awesome! Oh how I'd love to have an extra $1245 to go and do this. It's only three hours from me. Maybe my dream will come true one day.:frown5:

3. saji

saji New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Product Design Engineering
    Princeton, NJ
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Can we set up an MA event meet up!

4. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I would love to do this or the BMW performance driving course in SC some day. Regular driving instruction to get your drivers license teaches you how to drive, but not how to control your vehicle. It's great they are offering this.

BMWs two day course is actually around the price of MINIs one day course. As much as I love MINI, I would chose to drive a M car over a JCW ;-)

5. saji

saji New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Princeton, NJ
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    AHH - two different kind of driving. Rear wheel drive vs. Front wheel drive. I want to learn how to handle my Mini the way it should be driven.

6. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Very true, I meant if I were going to go somewhere. Actually Englishtown by us does driving schools in your own car.

7. saji

saji New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Princeton, NJ
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Really! I need to check it out... any info would be great and do you want to come along?

8. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    #8 Gizmo, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  9. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
  10. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I did the Miles Ahead driving school. It was a fantastic experience. The instructors are all professional drivers, and they're also communicative, helpful, and courteous. Having been doing HPDE's and open track days for over a decade now, it can be extremely variable in terms of organization and staff, however this school was top shelf and well worth the price.

Everything the staff did was well paced and well organised. It's clear they've done it before, yet the interaction was personable and felt custom. As you're assigned your car number, they allude that each car number is important, but leave it dangling that they'll explain it later [and they did]. Your assigned car has your name on the roof above the drivers door, which is a great touch. At the end of the day there's a swag bag with some very cool stuff in it, including a trophy helmet with your name on it, certificate of completion with all 4 instructors autographs, and t-shirt in your size.

The cars are very cool; the brand new F56 MINI JCW hardtop. Yes they're in the paddle-shift automatic, but even being a die-hard 3-pedal driver, this auto is actually really good. It also fits the focus of the school; learning posture, focus, and driving lines. The JCW handles very well, brakes great, the power is excellent, and the exhaust note is lovely and engaging and visceral without being over-the-top. It's fantastic.

[​IMG]Miles Ahead driving school at Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Ryephile, on Flickr

[​IMG]Miles Ahead driving school at Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Ryephile, on Flickr

Between training sessions, swapping instructors.

Back in the paddock during a break:

...and in the pit lane, stopping right on the remaining yard of bricks at the start/finish line.

So, if you have the means, I definitely recommend signing up! :Thumbsup:

11. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Great write up! Thank you for the inside info.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I think they should teach you in an enthuiest drivers car first. You know one without all the nannies.

13. Shifter

Shifter Member
    Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Southeast Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In the fall of 2013 I attended this event and experienced the same professionalism and course content described here by Ryephile. The road course was partially under construction at the time, but the day was filled with serious road work and speed in the R56 JCW's with (what looks to be) the same set of instructors. I also had the #77 car, but never did hear the significance of that number. I want to do it again but I think there are few, if any, seats available this year, so I think it will have to be next summer.

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #14 rkw, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Dave.0 just took the last spot.

15. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Dave.0: More knowledgeable about Driving Schools than the vast professional racing experience of the entire Instructor Staff. :arf:

Do you want a real answer to your comment, or are you just attempting to make a poke at the F56?

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Really? I am saying the F56 is but ugly junk. I said nothing about the staff.

17. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Let's read your quote again.

They = the staff. As such, your comment undermines them. You also misspelled "enthusiast".

You also didn't explicitly mention the F56 initially, but knowing how hard you troll it, it was a safe assumption.

So, do you have an actual intelligent comment about the school, or would you prefer to piss and moan about the car some more?

18. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My money's on more pissing and moaning.

19. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    /When are they getting R53'S

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    There is no way you can take this comment as being directed at the staff, only the choice of car. So lets not take it to a place that it was not meant to go.

Where I live a weekend on the track with an instructor is about half that price. I am sure it is a good school though.