Mini News MINI to Lower MPG Ratings on 4 Models

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    BMW AG is lowering the estimated fuel economy labels on four 2014 Mini Cooper models after tests by the U.S. EPA, the agency said today.

The EPA completed a fuel economy audit on the Mini Cooper and found actual mpg lower than the figures BMW submitted for certification, a statement said.

As a result, the EPA supervised a new round of tests by BMW. The agency also conducted its own testing of the Mini Cooper at the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The agency is ordering BMW to relabel four 2014 Mini Cooper models -- the Mini Cooper hardtop with a manual and an automatic transmission and the Mini Cooper S hardtop with a manual and an automatic transmission -- that proved to have lower fuel economy than the mpg label showed.

“While this necessitates change, the 2014 MINI Hardtop still delivers outstanding fuel efficiency,†BMW said. “We have sent new labels for 2014 models in stock to our dealers.â€

BMW will have all four models’ combined and city mpg ratings fall by 1 mpg, while highway estimates will drop 1 to 4 mpg depending on the model.

“Fuel economy values matter to consumers and automakers,†Christopher Grundler, director of EPA’s office of transportation and air quality, said in a statement. “To provide consumers with the most accurate, reliable and repeatable fuel economy values, we are continuing to strengthen our oversight to ensure fair competition among automakers.â€

BMW joins a list of automakers that have had inaccurate fuel economy labels. The EPA has also ordered Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, Kia and Ford to lower fuel economy ratings after discrepancies were found in mpg values on several models.

EPA News Release - 10/22/2014: EPA Requiring BMW to Correct Fuel Economy Labels for Four Mini Cooper Vehicles

2. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Oops, BMW got caught again. The EPA is on the warpath - more manufacturers will get slapped down soon.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if all the 2014 owners will get a check....
    With the low fuel prices right now...and dropping, I bet in a month or two owners will get a check like Hyundai, Ford, etc....
    Usually only a small difference ....pays for the "estimated" fuel consumption difference for the first few years....

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    :lol: BMW Fail. :lol:

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Looks like BMW stepped on their .... here. Can't say I'm sorry to see them get caught cheating. Hope this costs them a bit they deserve some puni$hment.

I'm guessing this is why the 2015's were held in port. :)

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Before we all run to put a stake in the heart of BMW here there are mitigating circumstances.

EPA is in the process of changing how the testing is accomplished.

Source - EPA Revising Fuel Economy Testing Before the End of the Year – Insider Car News

I'm not going to say BMW is innocent. I am going to say there are contributing factors. Enough of them in my book that the bus tossing under is only the short bus here.

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    ^^^......... :beer

8. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    This is just the beginning of another effort by the EPA to save us all. This year, Ford, BMW, Mercedes and MINI have been audited for their interpretation of some pretty open testing rules. Having been to one of the testing facilities (and knowing how the federal government, uh, works), :crazy: I would be hard-pressed to say this is the fault of the manufacturers. Their biggest problem is public relations and having their new, lower numbers compared to the numbers of their yet-to-be-audited competitors.

9. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    It's exactly why the cars were held in port. And why dealers couldn't sell the meager inventory they had on their lots.

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Remember....you are talking about BMW here's a multinational corporation with TEAMS of lawyers and engineers....
    If they could find a way to make the car look better, I'm sure they did...
    You know, the baseball, aka Alex..a-rod defense, "everybody was doing it"...
    BMW imo did not have a WHOOPSIE, but a calculated risk to make more $$$$ and sell more cars with better numbers....
    Anything else implies they are incompetant, either at building cars or watching bout for their shareholders. Period.
    Call me cynical....
    But them waiting till most orgional owners had either lost paper work or moved on with the gen1 PS pump shows they know how to calculate numbers...same for timing chains...nothing is not calculated...just like a 5¢ switch at gm that killed folks...

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Call me cynical.... You my friend are cynical, but I agree with you. Call me cynical too.... :D