MINI Solves the R56 Cold Start Issue

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, May 12, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/members/nathan-albums-site-stuff-picture41-r56-tensioner-chain.gif[/IMGL] The Death rattle. It’s a story we’ve been following closely on MF since 2007 and a topic many of you have been extremely concerned about. Last year we posted a lengthy expose on the topic that you can read here. But for owners affected, this news will bring a huge sigh of relief.

For a bit of background on the issue, here’s a description of the issue we posted last year:

The cold start issue has been a common theme popping up in the Faults and Fixes threads on various MINI forums. Specifically, MCS owners complaining about a peculiarly loud engine rattle on start-up. Now the R56 is an “interesting†sounding engine to begin with. The direct fuel injection solenoids give the car a very diesel-esque sound at idle. But this is a very different sound altogether.

BMW has determined that the cold start rattle was/is being caused by the timing chain tensioner (which is in turn powered by an oil-pressurized piston). More specifically the sound is caused when the tensioner piston doesn’t extend all the way (or at all) which then allows the timing chain to come in contact with the guides on the engine cover.

After two years of research into the issue MINI now has official repair information at dealers that will eliminate the issue. The PuMA measure number that will need to be referenced is 10686850-13 (we’ve seen 10686850-12 mentioned but we believe 13 is the latest) and the part number is 11.31.7.598.956. According to the information we’ve seen, all cars affected in with the issue will get a new timing chain, chain guides and cam sprockets.

At this stage MINI is handling this on a case by case basis when the owner complains about the sound. We’re guessing they would like to steer clear of something along the lines of a recall (voluntary or otherwise) due to the cost of the service. However don’t be surprised to see and hear more about this issue and the official fix soon.

In the mean time if your 2007-2009 MCS is affected we’d urge you to call and make an appointment at your local dealer.

Written By: Gabe

From MotoringFile

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    As I said over on the other site, this is hopefully the fix. At least it's better than the sun roof not opening fix:idea:, which involves motoring a block or 2 till temps equalize, then it MAY open:mad2: :incazzato:

Mark

3. kok13

kok13 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great news Nathan. I'm sure there will be lots of happy MCS owners out there! Good to see MINI taking ownership/acknowledgement of this widespread problem.

Let's hope it really works...

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Great News Nathan!

Thanks so much

5. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wow, who would have thought that Mini would have actually fixed a problem. I'm really surprised and pleased. It restores my faith in Mini.

Now, like lotsie said, if they could get the freakin' sunroof problem fixed. We'd have perfect cars.

And the melting hood scoops.

Oh, and the mushrooming strut towers on the R53's

And the ......lol.

Mark

6. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    :mad2:Yup. They finally sorted mine three months before the lease is up.

7. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Also know as just in time, right Eric?:D

8. spurvis

spurvis New Member

May 17, 2009
    Scheduling Supervisor for a private jet charter co
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    3rd time the charm?

I just had my Oct/'07 build in to Classic MINI for its third time regarding the "Cold Start Death Rattle" and they finally replaced the timing chain tensioner. As I'm to understand through a lot of reading, this fix doesn't work and over time the rattle will come back. So far though, I've been spared the death rattle for now.

Anybody else out there have the tensioner fail again and in turn have the whole VANOS system replaced? I just want to know what to possibly expect. Thanks for any reply. Cheers.

9. bartski

bartski New Member

May 13, 2009
    Graphic Design
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine rattled like hell the first month I had it (took delivery Oct 09). About that time, I moved my classic car out of the garage to off-site storage and started parking the MINI in the garage. The cold start rattling went away.

Yesterday I was doing some work on our other vehicle in the garage and had the MINI parked nose down in our fairly steep driveway. After a few hours I fired it up to go to the parts store and found that the parking situation brought the sound back in force.

I'll be interested in how this fix pans out for everyone... in the meantime, maybe parking on level ground is the best solution.

10. MoxieMini

MoxieMini New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet. I haven't had the noise, but I'm glad to hear they finally found the problem.

11. sketch

sketch New Member

May 24, 2009
    Luxury Motors internet rookie
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the noise 2 twice over the winter... Really didnt care but its good that they found a fix for it.

12. MRoles

MRoles New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Controller of Fiber Optic Construction Company
    Maryland
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had my Mini into the dealership for the "death rattle" issue 4 times while under warranty. They orginally said they couldn't duplicate it and then said the noise was "normal". Finally they admitted the rattle was not normal and replaced the timing chain tensioner twice (15 days apart). The service department assured me that when Mini found a "fix" Mini would back their product and I would be covered, in or out of warranty. Well, after driving 40,000 miles with a bad timing chain....I had to pay for the $850.00 labor to replace it. My engine now has a cold start "knocking" and I am not convinced that my engine is not damaged. I also had my car to the dealership multiple times for the sunroof. The tech lubricated it once and all other visits told me they could not duplicate. Now out of warranty, the sunroof was stuck open on one side. I declined to pay the $3,840.00 to repair it. I now have a sunroof that doesn't work at all! I see many other Mini owners are having the same issues. Mini Customer Service said they have supplied me with $1,000.00 in parts to replace the timing chain and will do nothing more. Mini Customer Service said they would supply the parts for the sunroof....ONLY if I have the dealership do maintenance repairs that I have already had done.....I was not willing to pay for the same maintenance twice! Any advise on who I can contact to examine my engine and resolve my sunroof issue? I love my MINI. I'm afraid I will have to trade it because Mini has not backed it's product or valued me as a customer.

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You really have two issues here...

The two issues are the cold start service history and possible follow on consiquences. The other is the crappy service of your sunroof.

I guess that the standard escallation path is your only resort.

that, and checking into your states lemon laws. in CA, failure to fix something within three visits is a way to get a lemon designation, but there are time and mileage limits.

If you are stuck fixing the stuff yourself, you may save a lot of money by not going to MINI, go to an independant shop and source a full sunroof assembly from a salvage yard or someone who gets one of those trick carbon fiber replacments that are being offered now. I don't remember if it's the right generation for your car or not....

As far as mini taking care of customers, it seems kind of random. Some they treat very well, some they just blow off.

Good luck with the issues..... Let us know how they work out.

Matt

14. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My car just had the timing chain tensioner replaced under warranty. This was the first time I had mentioned the issue to my dealer. They said they didn't need to verify the noise, just a customer complaint is enough. They determine if your car needs any of the newer parts based on the measurement they take from the chain tensioner. I had only heard the noise 2-3 times in 3 years.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    So much depends on if your dealer is good or not. I'm lucky that my local dealer goes to bat for their customers. Many dealers do not.

I have held off buying an R56 because of the cold start/timing chain issue. Once the car goes out of warranty I do not want to be screwed by BMW MINI for something that is not my fault.

As these cars gain miles & go out of warranty we will see how they hold up. Well I hope.

Back on topic...

MINI supposedly solves the cold start issue.

16. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... right...

the way I think they solved it was going to double-vanos and valvetronic on the revamped S engine!

And I think the "test" for the full monty fix is pretty much BS. The working assumption is that if there wasn't too much slack in the timing chain, all the stuff slapping around couldn't cause any damage... Oh yeah, other than to the timing chain.

Whole thing seems awful fishy to me.

Matt

17. unimog

unimog New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    DATE: October 25, 2013
    ATTN: Melissa Piccinich, Executive Customer Care Manager
    SUBJECT: Cold Start Death Rattle

I asked myself why the dealer had to replace an oil pan seal that wasn’t leaking and that there hadn’t been a trace of oil pan leakage in my garage since I bought this car? As you know by Invoice “1mcs32953” work performed on 9/11/13 by Ontario Mini, repaired this alleged pan gasket failure along with a defective thermostat and engine valve gasket. This work was authorized and subsidized by your agency.

I have since contacted you concerning Mr. , Ontario Mini Service Advisor’s advice that I would be returning for replacement of the timing chain and plastic chain guides under a recall associated with this problem, the diagnosis ie. “Cold start death rattle”.

In prior correspondence to you and your phone operators, I have petition your authorization for this correction to be performed as soon as possible given my justifiable concern that a major catastrophic engine failure may ensue with continued operation of my Mini. Though cold start “death rattle” is not yet consistent with each start of my vehicle it does occur with a disturbing level of consistency.

This problem has plagues me and consequently I have researched on the Internet other Mini owner suffering the “Diagnosed Death Rattle cold start problem”. What is evident now is a common practice of having the customer’s oil pan gasket serviced in order to remove plastic fragments from a defective chain guide’s premature deterioration.

Below I’ve copied one Mini owner’s posted observation concerning this practice:

“if they checked it right it will only need the tensioner. need to measure the chain slack. sometimes they need the upper guide rail. if the guide is broken they also go into your oil pan to clean up the broken pieces”.

I don’t need to say how concerned such posting have made me as it pertains to repairs already performed on my Mini.

Again I petition you to expeditiously authorize and fund the repair of the “Cold Start Death Rattle” problem for my vehicle.

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Whatever happened to Dr. O? We haven't heard from him for quite some time.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I have heard he is or was having some health issues. Hope he is doing better.

20. unimog

unimog New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    recall in effect finally for death rattle & heat shield

Death rattle notices have been sent out on affected vehicles. Mine is going in on Friday Nov. 1st. I hope they change all the components and fix this problem once and for all. I can't say how much I like everything about my clubman but these defects are taking a lot of the enjoyment out of owning this versatile sport car/wagon. I'll keep everyone updated on the reliability of this fix! UNIMOG