Thoughts on Ireland Engineering Adjustable Camberplates for Autocross?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by emptyo, May 13, 2014.

1. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,

Anyone used IE camberplates for Autox? I know Vorschlags are the crown jewel, but I don't need them to be pretty...just functional. I have Koni Yellows and Swift Spec R springs waiting for them. Any thoughts?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I seem to remember reading that they had issues.... Thinking it had to do with the bearing... Not sure, but it may have been resolved....

Other's may pipe up on this...

I have the IE fixed camber plates and love them:D....

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I had both the IE fixed plates on my R53 (when it had the stock shocks and TSW springs) and the Vorshlag adjustables (when it had coilovers). If you just do the occasional auto-x or aggressive street driving with the occasional track weekend, the fixed plates will be just fine.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I agree with the above because the IE fixed plates are exactly what I have on my MCS...Dragonslayer, daily driver and occasional track car.

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I also remember posts of the IE Adjustable having issues. Also the IE adjustable raises the front end height about 3/16-1/4". Unless you really want adjustable I would suggest the IE fixed plates. If you really want adjustable I would look at the Hotchkis adjustable plates because they do not raise the front end height (unless you have coil-overs and can adjust the height back down).
    I have adjustable because the fixed were not available when I purchased adjustable. I Auto-X but I do not adjust the camber more negative for Auto-X because it changes the Toe-In quite a bit and I do not have an easy way to adjust toe every time I adjust camber. I just have the alignment shop set the camber to -2.0 and I leave it that way for street and Auto-X. The adjustable plates also add more noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). If I was to purchase camber plates now, I would get IE fixed. The two advantages of adjustable is that you can adjust more negative than fixed and can adjust to exactly the camber you want and make up for any OEM differences side to side but that is really not that big of a benefit to put up with the NVH unless you are very serious about Auto-X and want to adjust to -3.0 just for Auto-X then back to -1.5 for street.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The IE fixed camber plates are built around a robust BMW OEM strut bearing hat... I believe it's used on the Z4 if I remember.... It gives additional negative camber, more than stock but less than hard core. Kind of a happy medium.... The bearing is captured by a significantly larger rubber cushion that mitigates the transfer of harsh road noise to the body....

Probably my best mod that improved the handling of my MINI....

When it's time to move onward to adjustable camber plates, these are not difficult to sell...

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I bought my IE fixed camber plates used. Money well spent for me, love em.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have the adj plates and after 8 yrs they are still performing great.

PS....you want to be careful about the class restrictions for camber plates, may bump you up into a modified class.

9. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    The car is being built to be a nationally competitive STX car. I'm very serious about autocross...and definitely need adjustable. ScottinBend, you are using the IE plates?

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  11. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic. Good enough for me. I'll look into the Hotchkiss or IE.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have Helix adj. camber plates but you cannot get them anymore. The 2 above are great adj. camber plates also.

13. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Excellent. Pads and rotors ordered. I've now spent about $2000 since that particular Atlanta vendor was rude to me on the phone. Amazing what a little good customer service will do.

14. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    We stopped selling the IE adjustable plates because we found they fell apart in a year or two and needed rebuilding if you could get them back apart without destroying the parts.. We never recommend the fixed camber plates cause no MINI has the same camber side to side some times it can be a full deg off!...and i have done a lot of alignments. You want to have the same amount of camber on both sides for many different reasons. if you're really ready to autocross, send the money and by the quality parts.

Chad
    Detroit Tuned

15. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #15 DixonL2, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    +1 to what Chad said...
    I inherited and currently run a set of IE adjustables, modified them to make 'em work & last.
    - The bearing tends to need a spacer so it doesn't rattle (tiny, tiny spacer washer... and a &^%$ circlip...)
    - Spherical bearings need lube. Often. Mine has a zerk, but this requires dropping the shock top (which I now do during oil changes, seems about the right interval).
    - Alignment: Hmmm, my "patience, level garage floor, carpenter's level, a T-square, and two parallel strings" method actually works well here. Indeed the one shock top had to be 1/8" further from the center of the shock hole than the other to get the camber correct, supporting what Chad said on Minis not necessarily being perfectly aligned from the factory
    - Springs: Stock springs are wide, too wide for any more than about 2 degrees negative camber without contacting the inner shock tower (R53, even with the "stress rib relief" mod). You'll need something narrower, preferably coilovers, but may then have to contend with "spring bind" on full compression.

Net net, I love the IE's I have, got 'em inexpensively and I know the drawbacks and can live with them. If I had it to do again with unlimited funds, Vorschlags and coilovers. With limited funds... well, that's where I am now!

16. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Great post DixonL2, thanks for all the insight. I'm leaning towards Vorschlags at the moment, but we'll see.

17. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    yeah the tiny spacer as he puts it also caves the top of the spring plate till the camber plate is sitting on to of it..now you need new spring plates ..I've seen the rubber come off from the body, the bolts for the top plate lock them self in place then you have to drill them out and replace...and if you you use heat..the rubber burns and again you need parts..so many draws with extra parts...

18. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Detroit Tuned...are you saying that it's a bad idea to run that spacer? Or IE camber plates in general?

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would say skip the IE Adj's and just go with the Vorschlags since you see many people having issues with them.

In this case like other's cost ='s quality and reliability.

A better question would be is anyone having issues with the Vorschlags? If you are going to spend the money wouldn't you want to spend it once and be done with it?

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Vorschlags are the answer to everything. I love mine, in an almost awkward way.