Another Warranty Question

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Stefanie, May 29, 2014.

1. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!

To make a long story short, I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my car. My husband is worried, and wants me to wait until my warranty is up (I just bought the car new in April). I'm thinking that Koni Yellows and Swift Springs aren't that big of a deal, as I'm staying away from the engine, so long as I get a good mechanic to do the work for me (I have someone in mind who comes highly recommended from a friend).

Also, we just spent $2k on his truck, so I think it's only fair. :biggrin5:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Do it!

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good to me.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    It will drop you about 1-1/2" with the Swift springs.... By the way, my wife acknowledged the Swift springs were better riding than the stock...

Do get an alignment afterwards and have them adjust the toe as well.....

If you can swing it.... get the Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates for up front and lower rear adjustable Hotchkis H-Sport control arms...

5. FranticFreddy

FranticFreddy Drive-N-Eat
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Some Where between here and there.
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    OK..... you asked.
    It is my opinion that you use up the consumables (brake pads, struts and other stock parts) that came on the car as you paid for them. Why replace parts that are not worn out??:crazy:

My philosophy has been to replace worn out parts with better parts.

My 05MCS has 136000 miles on the clock and I just had Koni yellows installed with stock springs. I also just had Detroit Tuned instal their Big Brake Kit. (at MOTD).:Thumbsup:

But.....If you really want to.......it's your MINI, do what you want.:devil:

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Your dealership service department handles your warranty claims and reactions to modifications vary greatly from one dealer to the next. So, one option is to just call the local service dept and ask for their policy both about mods in general and then the specific mods you're considering.

I don't remember hearing about any dealers denying general warranty claims just because of aftermarket shocks/struts...other than maybe strut tower deformation in the early 1st Gens. My gut feeling is you'll be fine and I would probably do it and ask questions later. In fact, I did do similar things when my warranty was about as old. The only warranty claims I made were a couple of stress cracked windshields and they never raised the suspension modifications flag, even though they probably could have made a slightly plausible link between the two.

7. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    #7 Stefanie, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    I know where you're coming from, and this has occurred to me as well. And the short answer as to why I want to replace parts before they're worn out is...well, because I want to. I think that after spending a good chunk of my money on responsible-type things (mortgage, bills, kids, etc.) that I deserve to do a little bit of what I want here and there. :wink:

However, I probably should have worded my question better. I am mainly concerned about the warranty on my car. Has anyone ever run into issues having their car serviced under warranty after doing suspension mods?

Thanks again!

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Some people have had problems with lowered suspension rubbing against air conditioner lines.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    And then you would have quickly insisted that the stress cracks in the windshield were the direct result of the OEM run flats...

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I kept the oem shocks because they only had 8,000 miles on them, but went with the Swift springs, IE camber plates and the H-Sport control arms... Never had any warranty issues with my dealer.... However... All dealers are not made the same...

Once the oem shocks need replacing I'm going with the Koni yellows...

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I knew about the rubbing air conditioner line issue....

I did the install myself and double checked the line clearance with my 2009 and have had no issues rubbing through the AC line...

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well my MINI dealership replaced my OEM driver side drive axle and my belt tensioner under warranty. My car is far from stock :rolleyes: and I had the coil overs on it when the axle went and was replaced under warranty and a 15% pulley when the tensioner was replaced under warranty.

It all depends on the dealership like others have said. They also have to prove how the mod made the other part fail.

Like coil overs can not be blamed for carbon to build up on your intake or your stock radio just dying.

13. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the info! How long has it been since you had the springs installed? From what I've read/heard, it seemed like it was best to replace the shocks at the same time but it's nice to see that that might not necessarily be required.

14. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Dave! That's really encouraging. I've emailed the service manager at Niello Mini to be safe, but thus far I've been really happy with them.

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    In theory, yes. In practice, if they don't want to cover it, they can simply deny warranty and don't have to prove anything until you've sued and the case goes to court. By then, you've probably given up from legal costs. This has happened with MINI.

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #16 Dave.0, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    That maybe in states like Kalifornia but most dealerships don't pull that kind stuff or play that game.

Just remember you always have the Service Survey as your "ace in the hole" because most dealers will do anything to not get a BAD one reported. :ihih:

Remember two can play that game but you really don't have too most times.

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I put them on at 8K and just turned 20K, so that makes it 12K with the Swift springs....:Thumbsup:

18. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Awesome - thanks! :)

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I have Koni yellows and Eibach springs. The only time my dealer refused to fix a problem was when one of the Koni's went bad. But that was not their problem it was Koni's.
    I say go for it!!

20. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Oh good, you did get warranty-coverage responses after all.

I've had NM springs on my 2012 MCS since 700 miles, now at 51k miles. I didn't replace my almost-new Sport Suspension shocks at that time.

No warranty issues or concerns at all; I've had a temp sensor (TSB) and high-pressure fuel pump (CEL, caught before failure) replaced under warranty without questions.

HTH.

I am planning to return to stock springs, though; we had our first "real" winter here recently, and I get high-centered a little too easily (because otherwise, it drives like a champ on snow with winter tires).