Pass Door Lock Won't Unlock

Discussion in 'MINI' started by patchelect, Sep 21, 2014.

1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Today, after leaving a store with my wife, I pushed the door unlock button twice to open both doors. The passenger side did not open. I tried the FOB several times with no luck. I tried re-locking and then unlocking. Nothing. I wound up entering the car via the drivers side and trying the switch on the console. Nada. I had to pull the handle twice from the inside, as if I were already a passenger. The door opened fine and we went on our way locking at speed. At the next stop it happened again. The door will lock with the FOB but only the drivers side will unlock no matter what I do. I've found a post or two on the door locks, but they were pretty vague. An obvious option would be to get a replacement unit, but I hate changing parts without understanding the reasons.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

2. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi - Year and model?

3. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    In the sig, '05 Cabrio

4. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Does it lock/unlock when you use the key in the drivers side door lock?

5. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes it does. I've learned from NAM that it's the actuator, common and likely to show up on the drivers side soon enough.

My Miata was never like this!

6. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    P/N 51 20 0 556 769

Passenger side door latch/actuator

MINI Parts -

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to an English car made by Germans club. :crazy:

8. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yea, my drivers side door has been doing that, fob won't work, have to use the key in my driver door. One day I'll replace the mechanism.

9. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Changed the mechanism last weekend. It wasn't a bad job especially since I was experienced from opening the door panel for the stupid window motor problems on the drivers side a few weeks ago. The lock works fine. The "good" news is that it was the original unit based on the date stamped. The unknown is whether or not the drivers side was already done or not.

10. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Now this past weekend the power steering pump failed! A vehicle with less than 36K on the clock needing two window motor jobs, a passenger lock mechanism replacement, a steering rack replacement and now a power steering pump replacement! I know the pump may be warranted, but the point is that this car is becoming a royal PITA, and an expensive one at that. Thankfully the first window motor was warranted by the selling dealer and I figured out the issue on the second one, at least temporarily, but the passenger lock, the steering rack and until/unless I can get reimbursed the PS pump as well are out of pocket with some scary big numbers.

I guess my only "salvation" is that the car is supercharged and not turbocharged so I son't have to deal with THOSE extra troubles too.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That does sound like a lot of issues for a 05 car with only 36K.

Are you sure it is not a water damaged car from Hurricane Sandy?

12. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hi Dave,

I am almost 100% certain since the car was at the dealer many miles from the shore during that time, according to the Carfax. And there are no telltale signs like sand or seaweed where it shouldn't be. No abnormal wear or deterioration anywhere either.

It's disconcerting. I'm reading about brand new Minis that are having troubles, some of which are disabling. At least mine has always kept running and functioning, just suffering from annoying maladies. :frown2:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You know they ship damaged cars all over the country for auctions right?

People can do a hell of a job cleaning / hiding a water damaged car these days.

14. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #14 patchelect, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for your assurances Dave!:Thumbsup::devil::mad2::incazzato::biggrin5:

Actually according to Carfax the selling dealer did have possession from October 4th or 5th making it unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's good news! It just odd all these things are happening.

Maybe after you are done your MINI Exorcism all these issue will never occur again.

Best of luck and may "The power of Christ compels you." :lol:

I can see you car floating above your floor in your garage..... :eek:ut:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNCkcC47eQ]The power of Christ compels you The Exorcist. - YouTube[/ame]

16. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I feel your pain! Owning a car that seems to be potentially becoming a PITA - can be tough especially when you need to keep throwing $$$ at it! My 03 MCS has been fairly "Gremlin" free...so far (I'm probably jinxing my odds just by witing this).

Look at it this way, you could be driving an 05 Toyota Camry Solara and motor along relatively trouble free, but you chose the the "darkside"...the whine of a supercharger under full throttle, the sport suspension, lightning reflexes and flat out grin the MINI can put on your face on a twisty road. For my money I'll I'll take a few "Gremlins"!

17. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Truth be known I am the former owner of at least 8 Fiats of varying models over a fairly long number of years. Of course even THEY collectively didn't seem to be as bad as this one car. :beer

Then again, like Dave said, I will have hopefully exorcised the gremlins. And I agree with Ronbo, although I think if I were ever found in a Solara as more than a passenger, I should get the Jack Nicholson lobotomy from Cuckoos Nest!! :lol: