Should I buy a 2005 Mini Cooper S?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by tod, Oct 1, 2014.

1. tod

tod New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have never owned a Mini, but am thinking of getting one. I might go look at a 2005 S model, automatic transmission (unfortunately..), with about 32,000 miles on it, priced at $9995. Can anyone speak for or against getting this car? I have seen some of the complaints about transmission issues.. Is that overstated? Something to worry about?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #3 BlimeyCabrio, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    That's fantastic low mileage!

Contrary to what BMW / MINI says, the automatic needs periodic fluid refreshes. It's not super hard to do, but takes some time, and there's no "official" procedure to do it, so it's difficult to find a shop to do it in some cases. Many of us DIY it with no issues. There are procedures out there for the DIY. A partial drain/fill every 20k-30k miles is recommended.

Some of the autos are having valve body and internal mechanical failures at higher mileage (typically 60k-150k). Many have NO problems... my valve body and an internal clutch failed at about 150k, requiring a rebuild. Root cause of this is probably a sleeve that spins internally in the transmission, blocking a fluid port and causing failure of the K2 clutch.
    K-2 Sleeve Replacement
    These are also failing in VWs and Audis with the same transmission.

I'm not trying to turn everyone off the the auto... mine was GREAT until 150k, and I've beaten it like an old mule. But some are failing much earlier, without the abuse I've given mine.

4. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    It all about how well its been maintained. Run a CarFax or similiar and have it checked out by a legitimate MINI mechanic. Well worth the $$ spent.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! The Mini is the funnest car I have ever owned, and the community is great. BlimeyCabrio knows what he is talking about. They do have some items that usually have to be taken of but all cars do. At they milage I would check the control bushings its about time for the stock ones to go bad. Everyone here replaces them with PowerFlex bushings they last a long time.

When you buy a MINI your not getting a car, your getting a pet that eats petrol.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A

Now post pictures of your new MINI. :)

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You will be really happy in an 05 MCS (R53) even if it is an auto. It is by far the best looking modern MINI built.

If it's Chili Red it's also the fastest. :p:devil::lol:

Just saying..... :cornut:

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

The price and mileage are great. Get the car checked out if you can and then enjoy the ride. Ronbo got his with 3xk mi on it and I got my '05 with 24k mi years ago. Neither of us have any problems. Yes they are manuals but follow Blimey advice and you should be great to go.

9. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Of course you should get a 2005 MINI Cooper S. What other year is there?

[​IMG]

I've had mine since new so I won't comment on the price. Best balance of fun, practicality, economy and affordability of any car out there.

...and you will feel right at home hanging out with great folks like those in M/A :rolleyes:

10. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't bother with an auto especially if you want more power they gear boxes are hard to map with get a manual!

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

12. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have had my issues with my Mini, but I did some research prior to purchase and concluded that the '05 S stick was the one to get for certain design reasons and mostly for the power and the transmission. Beyond my writhing and moaning about other things, the car is an absolute blast to drive and is a surprisingly good long distance runner. I took a friend on a 400 mile round trip day trip a month or so ago. He is 6'8" and was never cramped or uncomfortable. And when we returned he hasn't stopped bragging about how great the car rode, and I might add, how well I handled it. :Thumbsup:

So going along with the others, I'd suggest passing on the automatic, although I can't comment on the '05. I know there were running changes on many of the systems, so it might be a better slush box.