MEMBER ALERT

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Agbullet25, Oct 2, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agbullet25

Agbullet25 Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Central Texas
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Nathan and crew I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this.

MA Friends: Earlier this evening a serious situation was raised over on the League of Extraordinary Miniacs Facebook page. I'm assuming a few of you have read this and partaken in the discussion. For those of you who are unaware, please be alert for a possible scam from forum member SpR on MA. He proceeded to scam a guy for close to $1000 for an R53 transmission, to the point that money was sent to him, confirmed to have been received, then all communication ceased and SpR's Facebook account (Fast Mini) was deleted.

According to comments, this is not the first person to have had this done to within the MINI community, and I myself almost became a victim if it wasn't for a nagging gut feeling and poor timing.

Authorities have been alerted since there are multiple cases tied to SpR, and his story keeps changing about where he works or how he comes to acquire the parts he's selling (in one case he indicated he had a set of headlights for sale, only to turn around and offer to buy someone else's lights to complete the deal).

I am offering all this information up as a PSA for this forum to please verify information and if something smells fishy, walk away. And also to inform the community there is a potential snake among us.

For more information on what is going on, please see this summary:

"ATTN ALL MINIACS!!!
    Be aware who you buy from online as I have just been a victim of ACH/Money wire fraud. The user under the name "Fast Mini" was selling a r53 transmission as most of you may have saw his post on last week. As most of you know I was looking for a transmission and agreed to purchase his for my vehicle. The original purchase date of last Friday was not met by me due to repair shop issues. We posted again asking and after a few days contacted me letting me know that he would sell it to me for $950. I agreed and agreed to buy today. Now before anyone jumps down my throat I know I probably shouldn't have bought from anyone I've never met in person but I trusted the guy being that he is a fellow Mini enthusiast and his name was familiar on the page. I don't think he realized I work for Texas DPS. Anyways I made the purchased this morning, then processed to ask for a tracking number. I contacted him periodically throughout the day observing the status of the transaction. The last response I got from him was that that Trans had been picked up by UPS. 30 mins later his facebook seemed to be deactivated or either he blocked me. I contacted him via mobile phone and he proceeded to tell me he was unaware of any transaction and does not recall selling anything to me. Since then I've filed a report within my department as well as coordinating with Ohio local police depart and an IC3 report has been filed as well and a subpoena is being forward to "MoneyGram" to release key info on this guy. I should have trusted my gut on this one but out of desperation I've fallen short and still without my Mini and a Transmission.

Link to Facebook discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LXMINIacs/1564339233789971/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

2. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Full-time Military, part-time headbanger
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
  3. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Just a note about this guy: He's been around for a while.

He has gone by Bobby Hill, Fast Mini, and Shawn P Raney. Not only does he has a long rap sheet of fraud and theft charges, but there's rape, domestic violence, and other unsavory stuff.

https://www.usinquirer.com/records/1250076

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I hope they catch him.

5. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean that there will need to be background checks before people can show up at Monthly donuts and Sonic events....

6. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Blood test, urine samples, and finger prints please.....:cornut:

7. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget DNA and a polygraph test.

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Worthless Ba***rd! Off with his sack!

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I only require the secret handshake. No MINI key fob required. :donut1:

[​IMG]

This sure is some troubling shirt for sure. Hope the guy who was scammed gets justice & his money back. Hope the scammer gets what is coming to them. :incazzato:

[​IMG]

11. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Lol!

Dave: I believe he's one and the same.

I would just steer clear of him. It isn't hard to dig up info on him.

I guess it just goes to show that you can't trust everyone on the interwebz.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok this D-Bag Shawn P Raney a.k.a. SpR needs to be BANNED from M\A.

Not only for the scamming a guy out of $1000 bucks for a Transmission but for Unlawful sexual conduct w/a minor.

[​IMG]

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Is this guy in Columbus?

14. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Yes, he has been to a couple of events with his PW r50. His is the guy that just recently posted up about an last minute gathering at Sonic this week. He works for Midas based on some of his post. I think I have seen his car at the one at Morse & Hamilton.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup, time to call the Ohio Amish Mafia.

16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Pelt him with road apples?

[​IMG]

Sounds like the authorities will be adding to his rap sheet collection.

[​IMG]

17. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, at the very least you local boys need to forward that info to the OP so they can take action against this spud, and I would be gathering up a posse of locals to see that he does "what's right" by the OP.....or else.

Fvcking thieves. :mad5:

18. Braminator

Braminator Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The OP that made the post on LXM received over 700 comments with lots of info.

19. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Bram: Run the aka (spr1337) through a Google search. Hope you've not eaten lunch yet.