BMW Escapes $85M Mini Cooper Water Pump Class Action

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Law360, San Diego (October 06, 2014, 6:07 PM ET) -- A California federal judge on Friday tossed an $85 million putative class action accusing BMW of North America LLC of concealing defective water pumps in some Mini Cooper vehicles, ruling the plaintiff only vaguely alleged BMW knew about the defects.

U.S. District Judge Margaret M. Morrow granted BMW’s motion to dismiss the suit after finding plaintiff Trish Herremans didn’t properly state a claim under the Consumer Legal Remedies Act or California's Unfair Competition Law. Herremans referenced internal testing, records of customer complaints, dealership repair records and...

I'm not a lawyer so do not have a Law360 account to read the rest of this.

To view the full article, register now.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I, also, am not a lawyer, but was going to read thru the article, especially when I saw the word "putative". Couple that with water pumps and we could be talking whores and all sorts of water thingies associated with them! :devil: However, upon reading your post a second time, I think your spell checker is off the mark and you should have written "punitive", instead.:arf:

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    "putative" is the correct word in this association with the MINI suit....meaning assumed to exist already. IOW, since MINI is part of the BMW empire, it is assumed that it would be responsible for any lawsuits MINI is found guilty of - the deepest pockets available and guilt by association.

The judge decided otherwise - that's my take on it.

I also am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'll wait to hear what our law experts say. :biggrin5:

4. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0