MINI moving to California - help!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by DixonL2, Jun 24, 2015.

1. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    In short, Cali CARB and auto inspection has me buggered, need to know a little more about relocating to California (my daughter, not me) and bringing a Mini along. Mini in question is a stock 2002 R53, no pulley, only mods include a Magnaflow exhaust and Alta intake. I don't think it's a California-specific model. It passes emissions and auto inspection in PA with flying colors.

I did read in some CARB documentation that relocating into CA means you can bring your personal non-CXA vehicle in and have it tagged, but want to get experience from anyone who's done it or is more informed than I am!

Anything special she needs to do to bring it into California, get it registered and tagged?

Thanks in advance...

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    They used to charge an extra $300 fee for out of state cars to be registered in Ca, I don't know if they still do that. Other than that, you may have to put the stock intake back on. If the exhaust is cat-back, you should be OK there.....they do want the engine dead stock tho.....

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Alta intake might be an issue....not from CA...
    Know that my dinan intake had a CARB sticker to put under the hood....
    And back in the "day" many folks from CA said the only 2 "legal" CAI for the r53 was JCW and DInian....

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Not sure on the accuracy of the info regarding the stock motor. What I do know is this: the technician will do a complete visual inspection of the intake and exhaust system and hook it to the computer to check for codes. As long as everything appears to be unmodified, and the computer shows no signs to be alarmed about, you shouldn't have any real problems.

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    My Alta intake never passed visual, so now just take it off and put the stock back on. Cat-backs are ok, headers, no. They will have no idea if your motor is stock or not, mine always passes, BVH, injectors, cam, even with a ECU tune. Like Firebro said, has long as you have no codes you should be fine.