F56 Haters: Do not drive that car!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Eric@Helix, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

...Because your mind may change...

Ed, the service manager of our local MINI dealrship brought over a F56S JCW, complete with remote actuated exhaust the other day. Manual Trans. I hooned it around the hills of Manayunk, PA with an ear-to-ear smile. The car was sweet. Fast. Handles. Sounds awesome. Great seats.

Here's what you do: Squint your eyes so that you can see the light of your monitor coming through, but can't make out these words. Got it? OK, that's how you approach the F56. Do the squint, walk up to it, get in, and THEN open your eyes. You'll be a very happy MINI owner.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I haven't driven one, but based on everything I've read, I suspect you're dead right. Off the lot, it's probably the best driving MINI ever. And probably hangs with many, many well modded MINIs of prior generations. But egad, the looks of it...

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    It really does look better in person than in photos.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've seen them. And yes, it does. But it's still a disappointment compared to what they could have done, visually. Just my personal taste / opinion.

5. mct

mct New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    One test drive of the F56 Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit was all it took for me to change my mind too!! Ordered one that very week! Now just sitting here waiting for it to jump on a boat to make the trip across the pond :)

As for the exterior styling, I agree - definitely not as classic as my R53. I have spent months trying to come up with a proper "look" that I liked. From my photoshop tinkering, I have found that darker colors look better on the car. Here is what I ended up going with:

[​IMG]

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I haven't driven the jcw, maybe the suspension fixes the main thing I didn't like--the car plowed big time on high speed turns, the nose just doesn't want to tuck in without a big lift on throttle. I'll have to try the JCW. I wonder how mod friendly the engines will be...

Still not my flavor, but the one thing they finally got right was to make the JCW a bigger step up from the stock MCS with regard to performance. I'm really curious what the GP2 will look like--it may finally be a beast MINI straight from the factory.

7. mct

mct New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    The car Eric is talking about and the one I test drove is not the factory JCW. It is the Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit/Exhaust. Nothing different regarding suspension. That is left for the owner to take care of with the after-market ;)

8. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    This generation of Mini is so totally off my personal car radar, there's no review and "try the JCW" that will ever make me want to even be seen sitting in that vehicle.

Just like the Pontiac Aztec quickly was filed away in my "just another car I will never own" category, this one never had a chance to get a fair evaluation. It just doesn't pass my minimum styling requirements threshold. Great designs are easily recognizable the moment you see them. If you have to dabble with color combos in Photoshop until you can convince yourself something is actually pretty cool, it usually isn't. And for the money they want, you can always buy an even better driving used car that has an established record among enthusiasts as well as solid tuner support.

I am certainly not their target audience, which is good news for Mini, because, wow, would they ever be in trouble given there's not a single car in their current lineup I would want to own, ever.

9. mct

mct New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I can appreciate where you are coming from. After all it took the entire R56 product cycle to end before I could get back into buying a MINI. I was throwing up in my mouth for quite a while over the R56 when compared to the R53. In time, however, the design grew on me as I saw more of them. I do look forward to what the after market has in store for f56 front bumper modifications though!

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'd never buy one, but I still like to drive them for the hell of it.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ahhhh No :frown2:

12. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Won't work out for me

"Here's what you do: Squint your eyes so that you can see the light of your monitor coming through, but can't make out these words. Got it? OK, that's how you approach the F56. Do the squint, walk up to it, get in, and THEN open your eyes. You'll be a very happy MINI owner."

I have driven them all, and I agree that they run/handle great and have the best seats ever fitted to a MINI product, except the Recaros in the 13 GP.

My issues are, once inside, looking at the ridiculous playstation speedo/tach/fuel gauge as well as the blinking lights/start stop etc. I am aware the start/stop and light show can be turned off but for me I ask, why are they there to begin with?

ESPECIALLY the JCW should have a real tachometer and fuel gauge and no stupid blinking economy mode light!

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Are you going to feel that way when the used F56's are in que and the opportunity to buy and sell them presents itself to you. I would think that you will find the nicest used ones around (as you do today with 53's and 56's) and will sell them as a continuation of your business.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What does that have to do with owning one?

15. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Don't confuse business with my 10 plus years of love for this brand-we are modding and servicng F cars right along with the rest-it is my PERSONAL tastes that are confronted and angered by a design that sweeps everything that came before off the charts.
    As I said in another thread I already spoke with my wallet and bought an R series Paceman, so everytime I get into the car, I am surrounded by everything that says MINI to me. When I get into an F series car, I see nothing that speaks MINI to me and worse than that, I see a confusing haze of non enthusiast crap around the dash. blah

I will undoubtedly add a second gen GP to my stable someday as well.

pacman_zpspitk7wba.jpg

16. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Okay, now I understand. Sometimes ones passion gets in the way of business, I respect that you can separate that.

17. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I reckon you could think of it as a nimble, quick Edsel? :devil:

18. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Yes, I can squint too!

Oh I agree to disagree, not an Edsel. :) Have you priced an Edsel lately?

Today I had a fun time driving a new F56 with 6 speed optioned with the JCW Pro Tune-kit and the exhaust mod. It was a hoot.

Yes, I don't like the front-end or the big tail lights, I could get over it.

This MINI had about 400 miles on it, it revved free to the red-line, power and torque pretty much excellent.

In 6th gear on the long stretch of C470 Westbound, I wanted to pass some folks, pushed the go pedal, no effort with torque to spare.

This one was white with nice seats, funny but I liked the little power display in the old speedo spot, nice to see that they are paying attention to some fun electronics.

After I had some lunch I took a brisk/frisky drive from the east to west on C470, almost picked up a nice tax token from our local sheriff, but he let me slide since I was just keeping up with the traffic as I merged into the flow at a bit over. Folks were doing the bumper to bumper Denver rub at 80 or so.

Nice handling MINI, nice power and I love the exhaust when in sport and set to track mode, which was how I ran it for 3 hours. :Thumbsup:

:)

19. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    How to solve the spoiler goiter is the question. We're doing an informal survey on our FB page: will this help?

Before:

[​IMG]

Plasti-Dipped:

[​IMG]

20. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    #20 M1N1, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Errr, no. That front end is just way too bulbous. It defies the defies the concept of "MINI". If there was a stonking V8 in there, I could understand the need for a front end that big.

I have never driven one, so I trust Eric's assessment of it's capabilities.