Yearly fix-fest

Discussion in 'MINI' started by danraabe, Aug 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. danraabe

danraabe New Member

May 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2007 MCS. It's pushing 80K, runs great, burns too much oil, has lots of updated parts. I've looked a bit on this forum but haven't found anyone with similar experience who may or currently be rebuilding the R56 N14 engine. The choice is a swap or a rebuild. Either way I want a port job on the heads and an LSD in the transmission.

Any guidance will be appreciated. I am currently collecting insights and resources while establishing a budget.

danraabe

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    How much oil is it using?

Two areas to consider before you do a major engine overhaul, and not really thinking 80K would necessarily require it....

Undoubtedly the oil is going somewhere....

Two things to consider first....

Is the turbo a source of your oil consumption? The oil line fitting "O" ring has been known to leak.

The valve cover has been redesigned since your 2007 model, they improved the PCV baffles in the cover and it does a better job of collecting the crankcase oil vapors that are then routed back into your engine to meet emission requirements... Mine's a 2009 and I put the redesigned valve cover on and have noticed reduced oil in the PCV recirculation hoses... It's keeping the oil back in the crankcase where it belongs better....

Just my $0.02

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to get more than 80K outa that engine. Has the timing cassette been replaced? Or at the very least, the tensioner? I had over 100K when the "death rattle" started. My dealer found that it had the original tensioner so he measured the slack in the timing chain, found it to be way out of spec and replaced the whole assembly on Mini's dime. Even got a loaner for a few days. Mine still uses a quart of oil in between oil changes (3K-5K intervals). I'm still running the original valve cover, but they did replace the gasket when they did the timing chain work. I'm also running a BSH OCC and replaced the turbo oil lines with the kit from Detroit tuned. As long as she's running good I'm not gonna mess with the internals. YMMV
    I haven't a clue what an aftermarket LSD would cost you since mine was equipped with it at the factory. Also, have you had your intake valves walnut blasted?