Car cover...

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Goldsmithy, Oct 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have a recommendation for a car cover when I put my car into hibernation mode for the winter. It needs to be securable to hold down dust, easily removable for when I want to play mechanic or detailer, and lined to protect the finish. Anyone have any recommendations ???? As always, TIA.

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Teddy, Buy the indoor cover made by MINI. I'm sure E-MINI or Outmotoring can help you. I have one for all three of ours and they are great quality.

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Never needed one but Griot's catalogs always show a selection. A few years back they even had a MINI peeking out from under one.

4. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I use a cheap ebay cover in the garage last winter and it does the job. Keeps me from scratching it with the bicycle and makes it less of a pain to wait for spring, not having to see the car every day :)

I tried a similar cheap cover on my old 4Runner sitting outside in the driveway over the summer, and just 6 months of sun and weather were enough to have the brand new fabric completely deteriorate and fall apart to dust on top of the truck. Those $40 "5 layer" ebay covers are a complete joke for actual outdoor use.

5. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    If you're storing the car inside, anything will work, even a bed sheet. If you are storing the car outside think of what would happen to your car if it were a little dusty/dirty and I started to wipe it down with a dry towel. That's what's happening any time the wind kicks up and causes the car cover to buffet. I would not cover a car that was kept outside.