Windscreen Replacement Advice Requested

Discussion in 'MINI' started by AFWingnut, Nov 9, 2015.

1. AFWingnut

AFWingnut New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Therapist
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I know needing to replace a windscreen on a MINI is normal but I'm trying to avoid the dealership as they have been worse than awful.....

I know I want to replace with PPG glass rather than OEM, the question I seek advice on is who can install a MINI windscreen correctly so I don't have issues with leakage or trim flying off.

I have been told to avoid SafeLight. Any and all advice appreciated! Thank you.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The dealer installed a MINI factory windshield in my R53, and I was less than happy with the result....and just so this isn't considered a dealer-bash, I like my dealer and they do great work. My reasoning is who will do a better job replacing a windshield, a dealer mechanic who does one a month or a guy who does nothing but windshields all day every day?

Safelite replaced the one in the wife's Audi and did a spectacularly good job. Enough so that the next time I needed a new windshield in it and my R55 Clubby, I had them do both. Both turned out perfectly again.

I'd go with Safelite......

3. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I had one replaced by the dealer as part of the purchase agreement.

However, they didn't do the work. They subbed it out to a local glass shop.

Maybe ask your dealer who they use.

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    My local glass guy has replaced the windscreen 3 times and each time, perfect. Had a slight whistle one time, took it in, he shot some clear silicon sealant under the rubber, problem solved. Your local glass guy would love to have you for his own. Also, look into $100.00 deductible add on ins. to your existing policy, covers rock chips and such. Three replaced, $300.00, less than the price of just one.

5. jvsweeney

jvsweeney New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just had the windshield replaced by Safelite on my '06 mini just-a-cooper. They showed up with the windshield and both A pillar covers. Broke some molding clips for the bottom of the windshield, put all of them on order and are returning this friday to complete the job. Last month they replaced the windshield on my '14 Taurus in Cheyenne, Wy. while on the road. No problems.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    My experience with Safelite DON'T use them. Had them install a windshield in my 4Runner. They did it at my wife's work. I couldn't believe the poor job, what a fark up job. Took them 3 tries do a passable, but still not great job.

As far as dealers replacing glass, that is not there expertise. Use a glass shop, just not safelite. There is a local place that I have used over the years that is great. For local folks it is Guardian Glass. They installed a Pilkington windscreen in my MINI, great job good glass.

7. AFWingnut

AFWingnut New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Therapist
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    #7 AFWingnut, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    That's the consensus I have heard from some of the folks here locally. I think I have heard of Guardian Glass, will look them up....thanks. Also heard good things about Ryan's....but I have time, going to try and get one more MOTD out of the my nicely pitted windscreen.
    Oh crap.....just saw this looking for Guardian near me.....Safelite Group to Acquire Assets of Guardian Auto Glass **Updated | glassBYTEs.com

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ Git r done before they move/sack all the Gardian workers...

Ryan's Family Steakhouse and Auto Glass..... Who knew... Grab a steak and brew while you wait...

[​IMG]

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That is sad news about Guardian Glass being absorbed by Safelite. If you find a good place let me know. Most anyplace, but Safelite.

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    My experience with windshields is that general repair shops, even dealers, sub-contract windshield replacement. I have just gone to an auto-glass shop in the past, and they do a good job, and bill my insurance company directly, so I just pay the deductible, and move on.

CD