GMRS radios

Discussion in 'MINI' started by BillTheCat, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BillTheCat

BillTheCat New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    OK, so this is sort of MINI-adjacent, but many of us own FRS/GMRS radios for use on group drives & outings. Mine gave out during last year's MINIs on the Dragon, and I need a new one (or pair). In the past, I have just sort of gone to Best Buy & bought whatever looked best to my uninformed eye. I'd like to ask for some opinions from folks about their current GMRS radios.

What I know I want:

-Excellent CLARITY.
    -Good RANGE.
    -MUST be able to recharge AND swap in alkaline batteries for emergencies.
    -MUST be GMRS capable. FRS is simply not enough. (Does anyone still make FRS-only radios?)
    -Would LIKE to be able to use a mini or micro USB charger so I can charge in the car, but not 100% necessary.
    -EASE of use. I've tried some radios where you needed an instruction manual & an engineering degree to set the channel. Something that's relatively intuitive would be good.
    -Relatively small size would be nice.

So... if you like your radios, tell me what brand (model if possible) and why you dig them. Super easy to use? Great volume and/or clarity? Cool features? Tell me about it!

Muchas gracias!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Can't help but maybe someone can so here's a bump

3. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
  4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Bill I have a set I will give you at the Dragon next year. They are Motorola TALKABOUTs I just forget what version but I know they are very good ones because I don't buy anything cheap / basic.

I have only used them on one rally a few years back and learned I hate radio chatter while driving. :lol:

I just have to find them for you.

5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I have 4 sets of them. Some I bought, some given to me. I used them for club drives and family travel. When one wants to wander off (say, at Disneyland) we can keep in touch. The function of them have mostly been replaced by cell phones nowadays. But in places where your cell phone doesn't work, such as in some foreign countries, or out in the backwoods, these are great.

The worst ones I have are the Cobra radios. Though the signal strength is just as good as the others, the carrying of the voice signal is pretty poor. Modulation, is what it's called, I think.

The fewer features, the better. The more features seem to cause the device to drain battery more and you get a shorter range.

6. BillTheCat

BillTheCat New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That's awfully generous of you!

If I don't find a "just right" option in the meantime, I might take you up on that. Thanks!