HUGE Electrification Announcement From BMW

Discussion in 'MINI' started by MeagerHair, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BMW announced a new car architecture to enable the "electrification of every model series" starting with a 2020 all electric Mini to be released in 2019.

Big thing is Oxford got the nod to build the car. This was a big surprise with Brexit looming. The powertrain will come from two factories in Bavaria.

“Today, the BMW Group announced that the new battery-electric MINI will be a variant of the brand’s core 3 door model. This fully electric car will go into production in 2019, increasing the choice of MINI powertrains to include petrol and diesel internal combustion engines, a plug-in hybrid and a battery electric vehicle. The electric MINI’s electric drivetrain will be built at the BMW Group’s e-mobility centre at Plants Dingolfing and Landshut in Bavaria before being integrated into the car at Plant Oxford, which is the main production location for the MINI 3 door model.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/25/bmw-electric-car-architecture-mini/

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Aw crap, I thought you were going to say BMW was going to sell MINI so someone else can make a good looking MINI again.

3. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dave.O

There is always hope. You just have to keep the faith and never give up.

4. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    MeagerHair - thanks for posting, curious why you are surprised they MINI got the nod?

Dave.O - we know where your alliance lives.. :)

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    These things aren't due to go into production until 2019, after the UK leaves the EU.

It's a bit surprising that anyone would commit to new manufacturing in England largely for export without knowing whether there will be trade restrictions that could, among other annoyances, significantly increase costs.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    It's just the beginning. With France and now the UK announcing that they want to ban the sale of gas and diesel powered vehicles by 2040 to meet the Paris climate deal electric will take over Europe. We will be seeing fewer gas powered cars from European manufacturers unless they are made here for sale here.

I feel sad for the younger generation that will not be able to experience the sounds of a well tuned motor.

7. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    generations not born yet, average age of cars in the us is 12 years old, with something like 20 million cars on the road over 25 years old. I help keep that average older with my 20 year old daily driver 540i and the r53's

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Motors are electric & engines are gas, but I do agree with you. At my age I'll never have to deal with owning an electrified appliance of a car.