MotoringFile MINI Shortens Oil Change Interval

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

A regular topic on White Roof Radio is our opinion that the factory-specified 1 year/15,000 mile oil service intervals on the R56 MINIs are far too long. WRR co-host and MF contributor, Todd Pearson, snapped this photo of a MINI Monroney sticker in Kansas City showing a new oil change interval of 1 year/10,000 miles. Given the number of R56s that have had oil-related troubles, a more sensible interval seemed in order. It would appear that MINI has come to the same conclusion. However, we don’t yet have any information as to exactly why MINI has dropped the interval back to 1 year/10,000 miles, which was the original service interval on the R50/R53.

Speculations under the White Roof and here at MotoringFile abound. Did the costs of warranty engine repairs finally cross a line where it made more financial sense to take steps to prevent issues? Did oil usage data make a separate case for shorter intervals? Is this a reaction to common consumer behavior — i/e owners never bothering to check their oil in the first place until they got a warning light or it was time for their scheduled oil change? Does this change in service policy open MINI up to litigation over past engine troubles? Whatever the reasons, it’s a good thing to see the interval shortened. Now responsible owners need only do one 5,000 mile mid-cycle oil change instead of two. New owners, what are you hearing from your dealer? Who’s been changing their oil regularly?

MotoringFile

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Oh Oh..... Justa Jim.... What are you going to do now???? Stick with the 15,000 mile change?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well it's about time they got off that 15 k garbage.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd guess they are seeing too many warranty issues due to those long intervals. Maybe their cost saving interval is really costing them money. :rolleyes:

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, there is a lot of talk about the 15K causing lots of problems, but I have yet to see all these problems documented. It is just like the "oiled air filter", lots of speculation about "what could happen", but no real documentation. I see it as basically "fear mongering". Folks can do what they think is best for them and that is fine, but at this time, the rest is simply "talk"

Mini says 10K or one year, then that is fine with me. I have and will follow their plan and I have every change documented on dealer letterhead.

And that is all I have to say about the matter. :D

Jim

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I think it interesting that they are posting it on the window sticker now. I went back looking to see if it was on my window sticker.....:frown2: Does that mean I have a much better built engine that didn't require oil changes every 10,000 miles..... Bruhahahahahaha....Sheeeesh.....:rolleyes:

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure the fear mongers made MINI change the interval to 10,000. :lol:

There was an article in MC2 mag a while back on oil & oil change intervals. The folks at blackstone labs mentioned they are seeing oil samples from BMWs & MINIs that are showing problems. More fear mongering? :confused:

I think Chad wants to rebuild a R56 engine.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents on the change.

While many of us on M/A are diligent and check our oil level often there are quite a few people that buy a MINI as a car nowadays. These buyers often had Toyota and Honda appliances. You get in turn the key and go. Add gas now and then and take it to dealer now and then for service. They expect the same from a MINI, but alas, a MINI is quirky. It's not the automotive appliance they had before.

Owning a MINI is not without fraught. They somehow use oil. This oil needs to be replaced. Letting the MINI get as low as they are getting with a 15K interval does a few things. Besides the obvious early engine deaths there is the whole resale thing. If MINI wants to be able to have a decent stock of mid mileage CPO cars on dealers lots that had best do something to prevent engine issues. Moving back to a 10K interval is bound to help.

This leads to a multitude of questions and I'd rather not be the own answering the service phone at the dealers for the next few weeks as word of this spreads around.

Will the 07-just before the change get software updates to reflect the new policy.

Say I own an '10 or '11 that still qualifies for the "free" oil changes but at the 15K mile mark. Do I now get them at 10K miles?

I've been following the 15K recommendation perfectly, do I now change to a 10K interval?

There are a lot of unanswered questions out there.

It will be fun to learn more about this. Those of you that work at dealerships. If you can shed any light it would be quite helpful.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #9 Metalman, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    The manufacturers don't want to over engineer an engine that lasts forever.... They want you to experience the "Buying Experience" again and again, and the sooner the better......:eek:

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Now isn't the first change 10,000 and 15,000 after that? So did it really change?

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :postcount

Jim

12. deathklone

deathklone New Member

May 8, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im not sure about you guys, but i change my oil every 3000 miles. since ive had my license and my first car, the oil gets changed regularly every 3000... I dont trust this whole 10,000 or 15,000 mile business they got going on. Just my 2cents

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All of us don't buy into it either......a 3-5,000 mile oil change schedule seems to be the norm....

Well.... Except one.....:fingerscrossed:

14. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I think it's safe to say that most people on this forum change their oil somewhere between 3000 and 15000 miles.

That's about as specific as you can get on this topic while being "factual".

Beyond that.... truly YMMV.

Me... used to swear by 5000. Now doing it at 7500. With Royal Purple. And I don't track the car (at least not often). And thrash it a lot less than I used to.

Oil still looks "fresh" when it comes out at 7500. Having seen and smelled "burned" oil come out of this same car, I'm confident I'm doing it frequently enough for current driving style. Probably much more frequently than needed. But better safe than sorry.

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Looks and smell are subjective observations that have little to do with objective measures. True chemical analysis is the only way to know the health of the oil being changed. Boutique oil manufacturers lack product consistency; no confidence to be had for their brand only loyalty.

It was only a matter of time before the bean counters allowed reality to make it on the window sticker. Excessive oil consumption is a critical problem with some R56 + cars, and even the shortened OCI will not cover the amount of oil used before wear problems occur in those vehicles. Due diligence should be stated on the window sticker as well, and stressed at product delivery. This only addresses consumption, and not the oil coking the turbo causes.

16. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've read reports from Minis being delivered recently with a March 2012 build date, and the oil change interval says 9000 miles with less than 20 miles on the car. However my Jan. 2012 build car had the usual 15K mile interval (and oil change date of Jan. 2014) when I took delivery. It will be interesting to see if Mini will cover the oil change at the new, earlier mileage/date for 2012's built prior to March.

I plan to change oil at the 1 year mark from build date, Jan. 2013, or 7500 miles max, regardless to whether Mini covers it.

17. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    True. I used to have analysis done every oil change until I understood what needed to happen.

That said, I haven't had an analysis on "burned coffee" oil that said "you know, you could have run that a LOT longer, and been just fine". All the burned coffee oil analysis said "Duuuuuuuuude....."

So, yeah, subjective... but there's a definite correlation in my experience.

:cornut:

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    My R56 must be a lemon, because it does NOT use oil, even though I go the longer interval. :Thumbsup:

Jim

19. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Both my R53 and my 09 VW TDI have shown no drop in oil level between changes (6000-10000 mile intervals). This does not mean no oil is used, just that it is relatively small, and the difference in level is made up by contaminants from combustion, including water.

My R60 appears to have used maybe 0.1 liter in the first 1600 miles, but hard to tell with very light colored oil. I actually would rather see minor oil use (.5 or less liters) over the oil change interval.

20. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and FWIW, Blimey has consumed about a quart every 5-8k miles since he was newish.