Fun & Games This is why I do not use wax anymore

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave.0, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Everyone always asks me what do I use on my car to make it look like it does year after year.

This is the company I follow and buy my products from.

ESOTERIC - Fine Auto Finishing
    http://www.esotericcarcare.com/

KAMIKAZE Hydrocarbon Flexible Coating from Japan
    Kamikaze Miyabi Coat
    Kamikaze ISM Coat
    KAMIKAZE Stance Rim Coat

Gyeon Quartz
    * I have so many Gyeon products I am not going to list them but they are all excellent.

YouTube link to product videos and cars done the correct way. Enjoy :ihih:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_VTADI0mH-WIq25oZWmQEg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNc-7uollE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNc-7uollE[/ame]

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Which of their liquid polishes have you found to give you and "The Mistress" the greatest results?

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I like that the Miyabi Coat demo guy's name is "Cooperider."

Damn, $100 for 30 ml. That stuff is high end.

---

4. Zazoh

Zazoh New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Programer
    South Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shoot - and all this time I've been using frog urine imported from the Rain Forest in South America ...

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing your secret. :)

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    How long do the coatings last? Do you reapply annually, semi annually or monthly?

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Polish only perfects the paint surface and I have been using Sonax Perfect Finish followed by HD Polish on white pads. Paint turns out defect free and ready to be coated. :Thumbsup: I have used all of the coatings above and the Gyeon MOHS's and Kamikaze Miyabi Coat.

* Kamikaze ISM Coat ($140.00 30 ml) will give you a water wet look and you can layer them.

Minimum a year easy, two years max for both Gyeon and Kamikaze. You will see when they start to fail because water does not sheet right off the paint as fast. I do my final rinse with no hose attachments just a hose with free flowing water rinsing from top down.

Esoteric is located in New Albany, Ohio and is owned by Todd Cooperider. I sent Metal Man to see him last year and picked up some Gyeon products and spoke with Todd. Todd has been detailing high end cars for years and is the only importer of Kamikaze in the USA. He has two day classes that teaches pro detailers the art of paint correction and detailing.

** Oh 30 ml will cover a standard car 2 times and a MINI 3 times. Think about all the money you will save on wax, polish and other crap to keep your car clean and protected for a year and a half. Yes, it's worth it.

Also if you coat your rims with a rim coating you can say good bye to any special Sonax type wheel cleaners as all you will need is soap and water to clean off crud and brake dust.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah... I got the Gyeon... Applied real easy.... Still looking great.... Still have leftover to probably do two more applications... Goot stuff in a tiny bottle.... Just don't drop it or knock it over....

Real nice that they are here locally...:D

9. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. I wonder how well the products work for a poor MINI that's subjected to the abuse of daily driving in snow, salt, gravel, mud, etc.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My MINI was a daily for years and I drove in everything you listed above I am in the NE West Chester PA.

As with any product you use it's all about cleaning and paint prep before you apply a wax, sealant or coating.

Hard spray rinse (Power washer)
    Clean get all the crud and stuff out of all the door jams and junk from trim areas.

Rinse
    Spray entire car down with Iron removal product like Gyeon Q2M Iron, Iron X or something like it that turns purple when its working. Yes, it is completely safe for paint.

Wash again with soap and rinse.

Now while the car is still wet, clay the entire car. (bumper to bumper and rocker to rocker)

Wash car again and rinse and dry.

Now that you have about 95% of anything that could be stuck or imbedded in your paint removed you can start to softly compounding an move into polishing to perfect the paint.

Here is the trick, do not do the whole car at once as you will not know what the finished results will look like.

I along with every professional detailer does a test section 2 x 2 which is about 1/4 of the hood as our test spot. It sees the most sun and is the first thing you see.

Get out whatever you are going to compound with. ( not Grandpa's Turtle Wax with sand in it :lol:)

I use Sonax Perfect Finish on a Yellow, Orange or White pad depending on how bad the car is. Yellow for bad cars, Orange I use the most, White pads are for polishing but you can use them with Sonax Perfect Finish because it finishes down like a fine polish.

Once the cutting is done and wiped down using fresh towel toss the towel in a laundry basket / bucket. I follow up with a while foam or while MF pad and slowly polish the section with HD Polish for a little extra shine. Use a new towel and when you are done toss it in the laundry basket or bucket also.

Now you can look at the test section on the hood and see if it the results you want and now you know how to get them. If you need more compounding do it on your test spot and polish it out again. Some guys will do 2 or 3 test areas on the hood with different products to see which gives them the best results. Most of those guys are doing several different types cars with hard, soft or repaints which all could require a different product list to return the best results.

My steps and the products I use focuses on MINI / BMW paint and I know what works as I have been doing these cars for years.

Some will require more compound and less polish and visa versa but you will see the result you are trying to get to and you will know

Common mistakes

Dirty wash mitts and using them on rims and paint. Separate your stuff for each use.
    Using dirty towels too long or using the same towel on multiple steps.

Why would you use the towel you wiped compound off on your polished paint a half hour later. :mad2:

#1 issue I see is people using only one pad for a whole car.

A foam or MF pad is only good for a panel or two and you have to clean them with a brush. I use a MF pad for two panels max because they get clogged with chemicals and will not return the same results as when they were new.

Working too fast. Take your time.

If anyone has specific questions just add them to this tread and I will do my best to reply.

11. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Outstanding write-up!! Thanks for that!

12. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Lots of great info, Thanks! What brand pads do you use and are the color meanings fairly standard among the different brands? Also, a pad is good for a panel or two before cleaning, or before tossing? What's your opinion on Meguiar's 105 and 205 if you already have them from a starter kit?

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    A pad is good for a panel or two before cleaning. I never toss pads away I put them in a bucket with MF cleaner and water until I am ready to wash them all.

Meguiar's 105 and 205 are great compounds but they tend to be a little too dusty for me when using them. The cut and finish is great, its the dust that drives me nuts. I hate cleaning after cleaning if you know what I mean. :ihih:

14. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave!!

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Someone asked what pads I use on my DA's.

I use Rupes pads on my Rupes DA and also Meguiar's MF cutting pads cutting / compounding and finish polishing.
    http://www.esotericcarcare.com/brands/Rupes.html

Rupes Blue Compounding Pad
    Meguiar's DA Microfiber Cutting Disc 2-pack
    Rupes Yellow Polishing Pad
    Rupes Green Light Compounding Pad
    Rupes White Finishing Pad

On my Griots DA I use Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pads.
    http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thinpro-5-inch.html

5.5 Inch ThinPro Grey Extreme Cutting Pad (Single)
    5.5 inch ThinPro Gray Extreme Cutting Pad –This pad has an open cell that can dissipate heat well and stays pretty firm even with heat from the polishing process. Use it for spot repair or heavy compounding.

5.5 Inch ThinPro Orange Heavy Cutting Pad (Single)
    5.5 inch ThinPro Orange Heavy Cutting Pad – This foam pad provides the level of cut expected from a foam cutting pad, but finishes like a foam polishing pad! It removes most paint imperfections and leaves a finish that is nearly wax ready.

5.5 Inch ThinPro White Polishing Pad (Single)
    5.5 inchThinPro White Polishing Pad – The white pad features very dense foam. Use this pad to remove light imperfections, apply a light polish, cleaner wax, and any jobs for which you'd use the standard Lake Country white polishing pad.

5.5 Inch ThinPro Black Finishing Pad (Single) 5.5 inch ThinPro Black Finishing Pad – This pad provides no mechanical cutting ability but thanks to its dense foam, it provides superior control while polishing. It features super soft foam, which makes it ideal for finishing polishes, waxes, sealants, and glazes.

5.5 Inch ThinPro Red Waxing Pad (Single) 5.5 Inch ThinPro Red Finishing Pad – This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up

16. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    My R52 tops looks horrible. Anything you can recommend????

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Convertible top ?

This is what I use on convertible tops and my deck umbrella, BBQ cover and deck chairs.

Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent. You only need one can. :Thumbsup:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Heavy-Water-Repellant-Ounce/dp/B01KZLKN78/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490714476&sr=8-9&keywords=kiwi+protect+all

Also this stuff is awesome for any fabric of any type.

Rust-Oleum 278146 NeverWet 11-Ounce Outdoor Fabric Spray, Clear
    https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-278146-NeverWet-11-Ounce-Outdoor/dp/B00KRHF8E4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490714590&sr=8-1&keywords=neverwet

18. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Designing... EVERYTHING, what else is there?
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a great thread and VERY informative. Thanks Dave...

We have a real problem with birds at work and I invariably end up with a dive bomb application of bird turd every few days, which of course I can't get off of the paint until the evening when I'm home. How do these high-end finishes stand up to that sort of offal?

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    They work great against bird poop.

If you just want to test a mild coating and not dive into a full on $100.00 + coating try Gyeon Can Coat for only $50.00 bucks. Just remember it will only last about 6 months but you will know it's working and still on the paint when you wash your car and see the water bead and sheet off.

You can read more about it by following the link below.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-cancoat/

20. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I just spent the last half hour cruising the Esoteric site. Man, what'a lot of great stuff! I see that's where you got your polisher too...