Larry the Cable Guy visits Fontana

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by N2MINI, Aug 7, 2013.

1. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy

Airs: Aug 7, 9:00-10:00PM EST
    History Channel

Larry will prove that Americans know how to get the most out of nature–even if it kills him! This arduous trip through the Tennessee Valley begins as he spelunks his way through a mile of dark caverns to get to the Lost Sea, America's largest underground lake.

Larry will prove that Americans know how to get the most out of nature–even if it kills him!

Links

› Accommodations
    › Recreation
    › Marina
    › Dining
    › Events
    › Group Inquiries
    › About
    › Contact Us
    › Brochure

Visits Fontana Dam
    Then he braves epic carsickness to slay "The Dragon", the nation's windiest highway that sports 318 curves in 11 miles. Finally, Larry hikes a portion of the Appalachian Trail to get to the majestic Fontana Dam in North Carolina.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I figured Larry would ride a full dress Hardly Ableson across the dragon while holding up all other traffic. :ihih:

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Guess I was the only one who watched huh... Nothing major but was kinda funny watching him take a ride down the Dragon, showed the tree of Shame, talked to Killboy. got an inside tour of the Dam, plus got to see as they released water thru it for the 1st time since 2009 !!!!

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    DVR'ed it last night. I'll watch it some time in the future. I'd guess it would be fun. Git er done!

5. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed the show. Have to show it to the kids later so they can see the dam. They wanted to go inside it this last trip but it looks like this is the closest they will ever get.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I watched it last-night, it was good. It was funny watching them flash people going by Killboy.

7. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Watched it(but then I've seen them all). Saw some things I've never had the time to do while down there, like the cave. He does have the balls to try things he's not to happy about.

8. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    #8 Z06_Pilot, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    I recorded and watched it. Just an incredibly dopey segment on the Dragon. I can't stand the hayseed in the first place, so I probably had my mind made up.

Driving a mini van, crossing the double yellows regularly, and him in the passenger seat howling for 20 minutes like a little girl because it's too curvy of a road for his delicate constitution...

Not one drop of testosterone in his body

But other than those flaws, it was great :biggrin5:

I have a lot of respect for that road and I felt like that were denigrating it with their shenanigans

now, if he would have driven it in a real vehicle, and really worked at it, while providing some of his folksy humor, that might have been entertaining...

9. Mr Salt

Mr Salt New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 30, 2013
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Watched it the other night thought that it was very interesting and Larry does a good job at making you laugh. Those who have done it know what it is all about, but there are a lot of people who have no idea such a road exists.

10. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Pretty soon there won't be any of those people left. :lol: I know it's selfish but every time the Dragon gets more media attention I just think about how much less enjoyable it's going to be with more traffic.

11. Mr Salt

Mr Salt New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 30, 2013
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, you are right. On the other hand, you learned about from sonmeone and contributed to the problem you raise

12. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I suppose there's some truth in that. To some extent, though, it's not the "enthusiast" traffic that gums up the roads as much as the average everyday people coming up to check out "that crazy road we saw on the Larry the Cable Guy show!!"

Eh, you get my point.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    And this is why people that know the Dragon do not drive the Dragon Fri afternoon, Saturday or Sunday.:wink:

That's the time when all the rookies and tourist wreck and the LEO'S write lots of tickets.