The World's First V-Twin Hybrid Custom Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by TGS91, Jan 13, 2010.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    color me unimpressed.

3. Lilredscoot

Lilredscoot New Member

May 12, 2009
    Jackson MS.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to watch OCC thurs. and see how it looks and performs.

4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I kinda see this like those Hybrid Escalades. The whole point of Choppers like the ones they create is to make a statement and be sort of rebellious, this screams of "I want to look badass but really should have a Prius, and this jacket is imitation leather with natural black dyes."
    I think the technology pairs much better with a Vespa and as far as OCC designs go, this one comes off as a bit more awkward than their others.

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya Deviant. My company like many are riding the green wave. We have a HUGE marketing campaign behind this making hay with the electrical contracting community (They are giving away full gas powered ones to those guys!).

I'll check it out on TLC tonite as well.

6. rweiner

rweiner New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TGS, how were you involved in the Hybrid build?

TGS, I can't tell from your profile (its empty) but I assume you work for Schneider Electric.

As to input on the Hybrid build or other details, anyone in this forum is free to contact me on design or performance details. I designed the Hybrid and was the geek in the episode from Schneider. The bike has tremendous performance (yup, even more than a mini, altough I am sure a mini would beat it on any track). It definitely is no Prius.

r weiner

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I was not involved at all

There was a significant % of the sales teams I work with who are heavily focused on promoting this

I work primarily with end users of the APC business unit (Critical Power and Cooling)

Matter o' fact I work in a building adjacent to the Technology Center highlighted at the top of the show.

8. MaxN

MaxN New Member

May 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My idea of a motorcycle is something that is light, fast and fun.

OCC's efforts always weigh as much as a small house, make ridiculous amounts of noise, rarely could be considered 'fast' and have all of the riding dynamics of a housing estate.

I had the (mis)fortune to get a go on an OCC creation a while ago, it was utterly horrible to ride. The seating position was nothing like 'comfortable' the view was dominated by the triples and the agricultural controls were blister inducing. The worst bit though was that it appeared to have almost no brakes, at 60mph the brake levers where completely overwhelmed by momentum, five-finger, white knuckle grabbing of the lever and a hefty boot on the rear brake would slow it, barely. Changing direction was just as terrifying, a gentle 'push' (or pull) did absolutely nothing at all. The only way to make it change direction at anything above about 30mph was to crash into something that was going the way you wanted to go. The huge wheelbase gave it so much stability that it was close to impossible to make it do anything other than track (sort-of) straight.

Oh and every single spec of dust crashed through to the seat and up my spine.

After a 50 mile ride I got off it and never, ever wanted to see that thing again.

Horrible, utterly, utterly tragic.

Adding the weight, complexity and frankly uselessness of a hybrid drive train to one seems to rank up so high on the pointless scale I am struggling for comparison - howling at the moon ? arguing with my father ? nope, both pale in comparison.

As a pure marketing exercise I get it, but as a viable, useful device it is rubbish.

9. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great review, MaxN. I had always assumed that OCC bikes were terrible to ride.

10. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    nice! we use rotary and flywheel UPS systems for run-through to our 2.2mw C175's. So reliable we've gone 10yrs with no SLA impacting events at our big
    facility (we offer 100% SLA for power, cooling and humidity)

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    10 yrs, that is saying allot! Nice back at ya!. Now thats a testament to good design and I would wager good maintenance.

12. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    absolutely. design is only half the battle. stuff breaks all the time....with good design, that won't hurt you. But, you have to keep it properly running. that 10 years is not just how long since the last failure, that's how long the facility has been in operation. So, not a single event since burn-in and commissioning.

there are have been some notable outages lately at competitors' facilities....places that supposedly carry similar N+1 or better topologies. the outages are evidence of poor commissioning, poor routine maintenance and testing, or, both. It's not magic.

we test our generators as often as the EPA allows us....monthly.