WTB 1/4 ton truck

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by lotsie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    in the price range of 2-4k, about 10 years old, good-fair condition.

Purpose is to haul stuff, store some of the hauled stuff at times(mulch, debris, lumber), provide as back-up to aging fleet.

So what kind of truck should I look for? Chevy/Ford/Dodge, or go off shore, Datsun:Thumbsup:, Mazda, Toyota?

Or go older(classic)???

Mark

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Who makes a 1/4 ton truck anymore? I thought Rangers and S10's were 1/2 ton......

Shoot, even my old VW Rabbit Pickup was rated at 1/2 ton! :Thumbsup:

But of the choices given, I'd buy the newest truck that will fit your budget. Given how long they've been in production and how many have been built, I'd probably look at a Ford Ranger myself. Even a 4cyl auto version of those is a very usable truck.....

3. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Toyoya Tacoma 5spd, 2.7L 4 banger.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thought of a 4'x8' trailer?

Works great for us and we don't have to get a P/U....

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have thought of a trailer, but for a bunch of issues, an older, slightly beater truck would be better. Plus, if my 03 has to sit out for a days for some reason, I can't drive a trailer, except downhill.

Mark

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    We have an extra vehicle right now so we got a nice trailer for those times when we need to load/transport something (a very rare occurance anymore) plus we don't get bugged by friends to help them move.......LOL

If you want a smaller truck go with the Toyota's. Had some real good ones at work that lasted a long time. For a midsize go for the F150's.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have been looking for a Toyota, but they are few and far between. But I'm not in a rush, so I'll keep looking. A mid-size would be nice for the 4x8 bed.

Mark

8. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I personally prefer the older Toyotas with the 22R and 22RE engines, those things just wouldn't die. Alternatively I also have become more fond of Ford Rangers since as every other pickup has grown larger and more car-like it's stayed a small, basic, somewhat efficient workhorse.

The most killer find would be either a Jeep CJ8 Scrambler or Comanche MJ, I'd sell my first-born child and someone's right arm (I need mine to shift) for one of those in good condition.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    A Ford Ranger is high on my list also, as overall size is somewhat important. We don't have a lot of extra parking space. High mileage does not really scare me, as it will not be a DD. I'm also interested in it being very basic, a justa truck if you will.

There does not seem to be to much of anything out there, makes me wonder if the clunker program culled the herd.

Mark

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The 97-2003 Ford F-150 is a really good truck. One of my co-workers has one with the V-6 5spd combo and it's a very comfortable, usable vehicle. There should be lots of them around to choose from too, but you have to be careful, most people just treat them like....well, trucks!

I'm not really trying to show a Ford bias here, but there's a reason they sell so darn many of them. The Ranger is a very good second choice both because of availablilty and cheaper cost than a 'Yota.....they also ride smoother and are quieter, and have better seats, at least than a base 4 cyl Toy....

Like I said before, a 4cyl Ranger is a good choice too, even with an automatic.....

11. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    For the full-size pickups (I know you want smaller but if it's only an occasional driver a reg. cab/SB fullsize isn't that unmanageable) the fuel injected 300ci I-6 that ford used in the 89-96 F150s is in my opinion a much better engine than the later mod V-6s, they'll run forever, make tons of torque, are extremely smooth and my dad's 89 was averaging around 20mpg with his commute into STL every day. It finally died after my brother ran it into a phone pole, but it still ran perfectly and consumed no oil at a 1/4 million miles.

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hows this for an idea:idea: Find a used Red Bull MINI:confused5: Pull the can off, instant pick-up:ihih:

Mark

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well, ended up finding a Chevy 1/2 ton. 2001 Silverado, 144,000 miles, V6, 5 speed stick, very basic truck, but really clean inside and out. With Home Depot/Lowes and garden centers all within a few miles from home, I'll likely only put a 1000 miles a year on it.

It's raining and dark here now, so I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Mark