Automakers commit to making automatic braking standard

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Nathan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    RUCKERSVILLE, Va. -- A broad group of automakers have agreed in principle to equip all their new vehicles with automatic emergency braking technology as a standard feature in the near future.

The group -- which includes Audi, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo -- will work with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the next few months to hammer out details of the agreement and a timeline for implementing it across their lineups.

The agreement was announced by U.S. officials and IIHS President Adrian Lund at a dedication event for the safety group’s newly expanded vehicle research center here.

"There’s always going to be a need for regulations to keep the public safe," NHTSA chief Mark Rosekind said. "This is a new convention and a new pact. NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) and IIHS programs will continue, and regulations are still available, and we use all paths to save lives. The industry in this case though, hasn’t waited for regulation."

Full Article - http://www.autonews.com/article/20150911/OEM11/150919964/automakers-commit-to-making-automatic-braking-standard?cciid=email-autonews-blast

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
  3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    What the world needs more nanny's. On the road to the driver-less car. :rolleyes:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This safety legislation is fully endorsed by the brake pad industry.......:D
    This safety legislation is fully endorsed by the disc brake industry.......:D
    This safety legislation is fully endorsed by the tire industry.......:D
    This safety legislation is fully endorsed by the tail light bulb industry.......:D

5. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    All drivers are no where nearly as aware of their driving capabilities than a group of people belonging to a car enthusiast forum.

Those of us that are particular about our driving habits will probably never have to call on that added feature on our automobiles but the people out there that love to text while they're driving or drive while intoxicated will probably find they end up killing less people than they did before that feature was added.

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Try this out in an advanced HPDE session and let me know how it works out.

Not too good, I'm guessing.

I predict a spike in sales of kit cars like Caterhams, Cobras, etc.

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'd venture to guess the insurance industry is really behind this latest aim at automation. Just imagine all the rear enders waiting their turn to file that claim! :nonod:

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I sure wish they would push for more driver training & higher standards for licensing. Seem that would pay more dividends than an additional nanny.

9. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    All the training in the world will not stop alcohol and drug abuse which equates to people driving impaired and killing each other.

10. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    THIS 1000 times over. Driving privileges are handed out way too easy in this country.

And Whaap, people will continue to find ways to do so anyway. The dolts that kill themselves in such states, did we really need them in the first place. And if they kill innocent folks and survive, well, they'll pay for their actions.

11. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    It's the people they kill that could easily be you or me that I would like to see eliminated. If it takes an 'automatic braking' system I'm all for it. It would not have any affect on how you or I drove and enjoyed our cars.

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If you can't turn it off.... it most definitely would impact how some of us drive and enjoy our cars. Because getting REALLY close to other moving vehicles and having VERY fast closing speeds is a part of how some of us drive... in controlled environments.

13. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    That's a good point I hadn't considered and I hope the designers of the new program take that into account.