Apple might buy McLaren?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Steve, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Sounds crazy, but maybe not...

I knew Apple's self-driving car project was undergoing some big changes but I certainly didn't see this coming. The pundit diagnosis prior to this leak was they might have decided building cars was more difficult than they expected and they were reassessing, potentially cancelling the project. But maybe they just decided they need a partner. It would be hard to find a more tech savvy car company than McLaren to team up with. Very curious to see where this goes...that is, if it goes anywhere at all.

Apple linked with McLaren takeover (motorsport.com)

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Apple's interest in McLaren would be likely linked to its plans to transform the automotive industry in the same way that it has changed the smartphone market.

Meaning the same way Apple completely ruined the Music business. When was the last time anyone has seen a Tower, Sam Goody or any other record / music store.

Don't get me wrong I am an Apple Supporter. I own iPads and iPhones but something's they should just stay out of like owning a car company.

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0

I don't think Apple necessarily ruined the music business. Napster ruined the music business. The music industry is forever changing from radio, records, cassettes etc. If anything the industry is better for artists themselves and harder on the record companies, and that's great. The record companies have been robbing artists for years taking half if not more of the money from someone who's voice/talent is what made that money, I get that the labels take care of marketing etc but there's no way that cost is worth what they take. Nowadays an artist can hit it big without a record deal, they can post a video on youtube or a track on soundcloud, make a name for themselves and sell their music song by song digitally. It's the sites/apps that allow free/pirated music that ruin it for everyone in the music industry.
    Now Apple buying a car company can't be any worse than BMW buying MINI. Let's see what they can do, what the hell, why not. We don't HAVE to buy them :cornut:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Ah, yes, denial. Don't get me wrong, I don't "believe" either side of this, but 1) Financial Times is one of the rare reputable outlets; more often right than wrong and 2) that same sort of denial wording is used by corporate talking heads both to confirm reality and to hide it...until they're ready to tell the truth.

I'm in the :popcorn: camp.

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Does this mean that McLaren won't be offering Android carplay in their infotainment dash panel.....

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Oooo, Driverless race cars!

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The new 2018 McLaren P1

[​IMG]

9. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    iCar sounds great

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Napster was a pimple on the ass of the music industry. They were sued and put out of business.

The real issue was what Apple / Steve Jobs did with all the major music labels. He demanded they all agree to sell every song at $.99 for digital downloads.

That move killed the entire industry and put millions out of work. Progress is one thing but that hurt millions in the working class.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  12. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't just Jobs demanding it. The people were demanding it as well. The young'ns were a powerful group of consumers with mommy and daddys money to burn on digital music. At the time of iTunes launch there was already tons of illegal downloads happening, Napster was, as you put it, a pimple, amongst TONS of pimples #ALLPIMPLESMATTER.. He at least offed compensation for the download(s). Songs I've purchased lately have been over a buck, I get they were at .99 at one time but that changed quickly. Progress does hurt but only for a second. Look at it now, your next door neighbor can sell music on iTunes, no more record companies pimping the industry. You can even gitchur Toby Keith album digitally remastered without having to leave your house! Yeehaw!

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that while Apple is big in the US they are not in the rest of the world. So if Apple bought McLaren it would be a big marketing move for world wide attention. They would also be stupid to drop the McLaren name.

Of course McLaren will denies it. That's what always happen in these things. But if they are considering selling what does that say about the state of the company?

On Dave's side. Before the internet musicians didn't have a way to get out there. Hence the "big record deal" was a big thing, it was the only path. They did the would of promotion and distribution so they made the money. They also knew that if an artist didn't like the terms there were a lot of others.

On the other side. Today is great for musicians they can make their stuff and get it out with ease. So what killed the record business? The internet. Apple is only a small part as they don't have a large percentage of the world market and iTunes doesn't work for other phones. Napeter started the big file sharing craze or was at least a big catalyst. But there are a lot of file share sites still out there and the industry can't shut them down because they keep moving.
    I was looking up why concerts cost so much now, other than inflation. It's because this is where musicians can make money still.

Now back to why is a phone/electronics company wanting to buy a small car company/racing team. I'm almost certain I read that Apple was dropping the autonomous car plans.

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    These guys aren't paying musicians...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Why is it folks seem to get excited in a perverse way when they think Apple is going to get involved in anything?
    They fetishize design, and put themselves first....it's Apple's way or the highway...and while this keeps support simple for them it destroys innovation....they decree how stuff is to be used...want to use you NFC chip on your Apple phone...nope... Apple doesn't want you too...
    From the company who nearly patented the phrase "You're holding it wrong" and believes "the thinnest phone" ever is important has left some of their best, most loyal long-term customers to die....hear of any Mac Pro's or most any of their computers updated in the last 2+ years?! Nope....tiny changes to current models...not nearly keeping up with changes...
    Heck...I don't hate Apple, they have started the ball rolling or atleast gotten things "good enough" to make them viable consumer products....sure premium products and premium prices...but nearly zero flexibility in how you use them...
    Want to use you phone with a wired headset and charge it at the same time?! Buy a 3rd party dongle....
    Sometimes by trying to make things so simple, they complicate things...
    Lack of widgets on a screen is something I can't live without on a phone...
    And yes...you can buy a $200 junk Android....but let's compare similar priced items.....flagship to flagship reliability and security....
    Headline...
    Apple may buy a car company....and to many it like a wet dream come true...why?
    Because they somehow feel Apple is a better steward or more innovative than any car company.....
    Better at PR maybe.... Let's look at Tesla vs GM (WHO I TEND TO DISLIKE)
    But look at how new BOLT is matching many of the new unlaunched Tesla cars's promised features....sure...might not be refined as much....but it's a huge jump...
    A huge corporation possibility jumps ahead of of an well funded upstart....who would have predicted that...
    Competition can push innovation....yes...but sometime the smaller company who produces a product first cannot matain a lead for long even if people are rooting for them.....
    It seems to me that Apple has largely abandoned a niche they owned (much like MINI) to go after bigger fish....

And don't even get me going on the junk i-tunes...why can't they rewrite that POS...
    As for music...the GOOD thing is singers are going back to TOURING to make a living...Apple has just accelerated the screwed up system that many of the labels were continuing....but social media has opened up new ways for bands to connect....and given them control of their own destiny...Some ARE caught in the crossfire..but every disruption in the way things are done causes issues with folks who don't/can't adapt fast enough ...
    There are still buggy-whip companies...as there are wooden wheel makers...but most left or changed with the advent of the car....

So the news comes out....that this story was pure BS...
    Who would have thought....lol..
    Free PR? Who knows....

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I really can't fault Apple...
    They make decisions on how to run their business...
    They are a company that provides a product to customers that may or may not want to buy their product...
    The market is driven by price, quality and innovation...
    Pretty simple

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Is the story BS? Maybe. My guess is there really were some discussions, though this was meant to be kept secret, and they led nowhere. When this sort of news is leaked (if, indeed, it is news rather than mere rumor) it's often done so intentionally by someone who hopes a bit of public interest will restart a process that deadlocked.

That said, don't get me started on whether I think this is a good idea.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0