We could have been best friends!

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Brian_NEOMINIAC, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Brian_NEOMINIAC

Brian_NEOMINIAC New Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    About a month ago, I started questioning things. Am I a Miniac? Do I enjoy the MINI lifestyle? Do I need to be so active in the MINI community? How has the MINI community treated me? How has it changed my opinion of car cultures. What more can it possibly do for me?

1) I am not a MINIac. I am a VDubber.
    2) The MINI lifestyle came with more headaches that one could hope for, the mechanical failures, the breaking down when we're hundreds of miles from home, the "that's not gonna fit" question, and the clenching of :fingerscrossed: cheeks when you realize you're going to hit that pothole, or worse, that one in that corner...
    3) I was extremely active. So active in fact, I feel it harmed the group I helped get off the ground. I was so focused on growth, and making sure everyone in the group was happy and pleased with the progress, I forgot to make a plan for what would happen when it did grow. As it did, and new faces appeared, and familiar faces vanished, I took it upon myself to find out why. Why aren't members coming out? What can I do better for the members? If 1 out of 30 members isn't happy, that's on me. What did I do wrong.
    4) The MINI community treated me beyond my expectations. Several people are more than willing to help a complete stranger diagnose an issue, lend a hand, or lend a ear to listen. The handful of people I have spent the most time with in the MINI community will remain friends for years. I've been part of car communities since I obtained a drivers license, and not one has been as enjoyable as MINI.
    5) My view of car culture changed, if you read 4 that sums up why. A car community should be a family. Waving at others as they pass (USUALLY), the national events, the local events, you'd be searching for awhile to find a brand specific group such as MINI. You won't see Chevy Tahoe's hanging out with the Camaro Club, nor would you see Honda Ridgelines hanging out with a group of Civic's. But you will see Countryman's hanging out with Classic Mini's, even if the Classic owners despise them secretly.
    6) What more can it do? Continue to welcome new comers, continue to pass on the culture to generations. Get off your high horse once in awhile and appreciate someone who buys an F56 has the same passion you did when purchasing your R53. You're all on the same team. (How could I leave without one last comment that makes you go "ohh this *******")

My apologies for rattling cages, voicing very strong opinions at times, and coming off as brash others.
    I've sold the MINI Cooper. I won't miss the suspension, nor will I miss the incredibly small trunk, and I really won't miss that awful turbo lag. I will miss SPORT mode, probably miss taking curvy roads at higher speeds (well yes, definitely), and I'll miss the joy of having 10 MINI Coopers lined up behind me during a drive, and seeing the people's reaction as they realize that's probably not a coincidence. I've gone back to Volkswagen where I belong. :cornut:

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    WooHoo, Chuck...now you can hang out with Brian on the VW sites!:devil:

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Oh yes clubs real or virtual all follow the same basic pattern. The couple of people who do all the work get tired of doing it all & step back. The other folks wonder why aren't we doing this & that the like we used to do. Yet no one steps up to help. Folks move on to other things in life & other cars.

I have met a lot of good friends though my MINI ownership. Some of them are likely to be life long friends for however long I still have.

Don't need a club to make me a car guy. I'm a car guy no matter what. Even if your car isn't my cup o tea I'll appreciate that it is your cup o tea.

No need for an apology of any kind as far as I'm concerned. You are entitled to your opinions even if I might not agree with them.

So the question is what VW did you buy? This German bread-van owner would like to know.

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I understand he will still be posting here. Jeff you need something to complain about it's what keeps you going. :ihih:

5. Brian_NEOMINIAC

Mar 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welllll we sort of bought 2 recently...

On Easter Sunday, we found a beautiful red 1970 Beetle, the engine was bad, but the body was in excellent condition. Since April my wife has been pampering it with new turn signals, new taillight covers, new trunk latch, engine lock, door panels, among other things... she even began disassembling the engine/exhaust. We've spent several late nights at our friends VW shop working in his spare garage bay. A week ago, the new engine was in, and we got to hear that sweet aircooled sound. (Weber Dual Carbs with a brand new exhaust straight out of Mexico) - and holy smokes was it awesome. This past Sunday we took our first test drive around town, she laughed the entire way.

After spending a lot of time with VW's previously, and basically the past 2 months, last night we went from one extreme to another... Traded the MCS for a VW Touareg. I've always wanted one of these, but never wanted to fork out $50k for one. Finally came within striking range and we jumped on it.

[​IMG]
    *this is not the new exhaust, this was after it's first scrubbing and waxing.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Now you can be an air-cooled VW snob and tell guys with GTIs that they don't have real VWs . ;)

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  8. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I agree with almost everything you said. Your #5 is actually why I left the world of MINI ownership. It started feeling cultish and secluded from the rest of the automotive world. I agree with Chuck that I have made friends from my times in the cult and still come here to engage in conversation occasionally. I will say that I have not thrown myself into the same level of ownership lifestyle with the cars I have had since my last MINI and only frequent those websites when looking for help/recommendations. I have found that for me as I become more brand/scene agnostic, I can better appreciate what makes each of these unique.

9. Brian_NEOMINIAC

Mar 7, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love it :lol:

We already have incense burning in the house, we have a few boxes of parts for out first air-cooled swap meet.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Enjoy your Bug, I've had about 30 of them over the years. Buy a dead one fix it up, $ell & repeat. I never had much luck with twin webers. For me the sweet spot was one Weber IDA. Never got to be an air-cooled snob, when I had my bugs they were just cheap throw away fun little cars.

My last Bug.....

[​IMG]

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    He, like you, is a former MINI owner. He, like you, IS a member on M/A and I respect that, even if we don't seem to see eye to eye all the time. So, I have no complaints.:nonod:

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    A member, I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member. :prrr:

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    That's cuz you're a cantankerous old fart!:devil:

See? No complaining here..just a fact!:lol:

14. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I come from the VW world. Started out with a 56 Oval and ended up with a 71 Bus. And probably another 40 in between. Mostly I did car shows, from Cincinnati to Canada, Arizona (even made it to a picture in a Japanese VW magazine that was covering the event), Florida, and points inbetween. Went to Circle Yer Wagons for about 20 years and was treasurer of the Type2 list for 12 years. I remember when people bitched about letting water cooled VW's into shows...when the Vanagon came out and it was not a 'real' bus. I was there when Ron S. started the Bus Depot. Anyone remember when the "Sermons of Bob Hoover" was first published---I was one of the proof readers. Anyone ever see a guy walking around a show passing out 'cherries'...that would blow you away. That was me. Anyone hang out in the chat room of the Samba?

The MINI community is no different. Mini owners are distant from MINI owners. There is one difference. Young people are not getting into the MINI life. The older R series (50,53,52) are too expensive for young-uns to maintain. Mini USA hasn't helped by coming out with a design defective engine (N14) and making the Mini line BIGGER. No matter how much Mini Usa tries to 'market' the Mini culture, it isn't working. It's changing, and not for the better.

I went to a Cruise-In tonight. I would say that 90% of all the car owners there were over 50, at least. Only a few young-uns. And, there had to be between 250 and 300 cars there. I was the only MINI.

Me, I'm old. A speeding ticket will probably get my insurance cancelled. A minor accident may result in permanently debilitating injury. Just not worth it. I will, however, continue to customize 'Peppurr' until it is exactly how I want it. Next up is a custom interior :)D )

I guess my rant is over, so you'll can return to your normal bitching. :p:D

15. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Forgot...If any of you VDubbers are going to the Columbus VW show, look for a chili red R52 in the swap meet, that'll be me. I'll also probably be camping at the show site the night before and at a bus campout the night after.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Lots of young guys have no interest in cars. When I see a young guy with a car that he loves I try & talk with him & get his take on cars. Car guys seem to be an endangered species.

17. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    ^^^This^^^

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    People do seem to get really wrapped up in "the scene"....

I buy and drive the cars I like, I don't care one whit what anyone else thinks about me or my cars.

I participate in car shows and driving events with both my Mini and my MINI, and I appreciate each of them for the qualities they have - the classic is fun to drive, but not on a long trip, the Clubby is always fun to drive, and reliable as can be. Both have their strengths, both have been fun to own....

I participate in the forums and have met a lot of really great people thru them, but I don't get my knickers in a twist if someone says something I don't agree with - I may try to educate them about the error in their thinking, but that's about it. :biggrin5:

Life is SHORT....way too short to worry about what people think about you and your car.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Amen brother. :yesnod:

20. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    PS...It appears that ,after taking my grandson's father for a ride in 'Pepper", he has decided that no way will he let a 16 yo have this car ( :) ) so I am looking for a standard Beetle for my grandson's first car...and when he graduates, it will be passed on to my granddaughter. If anyone has one the want to get rid of...let me know. Also looking on the Samba cause it would be a great adventure for my grandson and I to buy one...and then drive it home :).