FIAT takes a page from the MINI Playbook

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Nathan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Chrysler is cranking up its Mopar parts unit to make it easier to customize the diminutive Fiat 500.

Mopar will have more than 150 parts for the Fiat, including a Wi-Fi router to turn your microcar into a wireless hot spot.

"The Fiat 500 is one of the most accessorized vehicles in Europe," said Pietro Gorlier, president and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand. "We expect the trend to continue here in North America."

Accessories for the 2012 Fiat 500 include:

-- Key covers: The easily changeable covers come in sets of two and are available in blue/black, red/red and the 500 logo with checker pattern. $48

-- Roof and hood graphics: Mopar has a large selection of graphics and designs including flags, racing stripes and checkers. $319-$534

-- Body-side graphics: Side graphics are made of 3M materials and are available in multiple colors and sizes. $409-$439

-- Body-side molding inserts: These inserts come in a variety of colors and designs. $99

-- Roof rack: The rack holds a bike, skis and water-sports equipment. $399

-- Bike carriers: Two bike carriers are offered, roof- and hitch-mounted versions. $99-$399

-- Uconnect Web: An in-vehicle router receives 3G broadband Internet, allowing access up to 150 feet away. $399 plus subscription

-- Seat covers: The covers are tailored for a perfect fit, protecting the upholstery, and are easily removable for washing. $159-$199

-- Slush mats: Thick, custom-fit mats have the 500 logo with deep grooves for snow, mud and water. $79

-- Chrome shift knob: No Mopar vehicle would be complete without a bit of chrome trim. $49

-- Chrome fuel door: This one-piece fuel door has the Fiat logo. $209

-- Door-sill guards: These are made of brushed stainless steel and include the 500 logo. $69

-- Chrome hood spear: A design cue from the original model, the spear is mounted on the center of the hood. $89

-- Front-end cover: The cover securely fits the Fiat 500 and protects it from bugs, dirt and debris. $149

-- Molded splash guards: These lower guards feature the Fiat logo. $22

Source - Autoweek

2. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    what they really need is a cosmetic kit to make the Fiat look like Luigi from Disney's "Cars"

3. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The phrases, "Lipstick on a pig" and "Polishing a terd" come to mind.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ This. :lol:

5. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    SEE! I knew they were trying to get all MINI on us!

And I just saw one at lunch today- in fitting "puke green". Hideous! :prrr:

6. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people are gonna love this car

I would not want one but there are a lot of people that are going to be able to afford and drive the Fiat 500. You have to admit it is a nice little fun car for the price. It is ""NOT"" in the same class as a Mini which is a larger car and costs more.

Of course they will sell things to personalize them and a lot of Fiat owners will do just that.

************************BUT*******************************

no mater what they do it will still not be in the same class as a Mini Cooper.

:beer

7. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    A mere roof graphic or a stripe kit doesn't have nearly the Yoda-like Force power necessary to lift that car from the crater it left under the ugly tree...

8. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Kinda wish it would crash land on Dagobah.

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    #9 Justa Jim, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    I agree with you. Fiat 500's are not for everybody, but neither are MINI's. I like the idea of more small cars hitting the road and although I do not plan to give up my MINI, I would share the dragon and have a beer with them, as well as the VW Beatles, any day. :Thumbsup:

Jim

10. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Actually, they kinda look like Yoda. Lumpy, small, and if they could talk, would probably sound like him too! :D

11. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Did anyone miss the sarcasm ?

:ihih: