F1 - 2010

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Nov 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I know it's still 2009, but since the '09 season is over and we're only talking about '10 biz now in the '09 thread, I figured it was time to start over. Only 111 days to the next race! :Thumbsup:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    If you've been following along, you know Button recently signed with McLaren for the next season.

He says he switched to McLaren for the challenge, even though he'll make less money. I don't believe it. I sort of buy wanting a change (vice challenge) since it hasn't been just a year at Brawn but a few years at Honda/Brawn...he did mention wanting to step out of his comfort zone so that fits. I'm much more willing to believe it's because he thinks the McLaren will be a better car than the Mercedes next year but he doesn't want to admit that's his motive.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Can't say that I don't admire taking less money for a chance at a better drive.

4. where can i watch these F1 races????
    ive always wanted to follow it and get into it, but i never know when or what channel theyre on.

i love cars, and i also love watching them race (except for nascar, no offense).
    just wish i can actually see them on tv lol.
    like F1 or Touring Cars or even Drift races.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Speed TV shows most of the F1 races. The few that are broadcast by others, the same guys from Speed usually are the announcers anyway. The race schedule can be found many places, but probably the best place to check is Formula1.com, then look for the times on your local channel guide. The '09 season is done but there's a counter on Formula1.com to tell you when the '10 season starts.

6. very cool.
    thank you!

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I agree, though I think there's also something to be said for Nick Fry's comment "Clearly, loyalty would be nice but in this day and age you don't expect too much of that." Point is, it apparently didn't have to come down to money if he could be at either team for what he'll make at McLaren, so it's really not about the better car versus more money equation. He chose to move and I question the honesty of his claim that it's about looking for a challenge. I say the only challenge to be found in moving to McLaren, aside from learning to deal with the culture, is having to compete with Hamilton. I think there are more interesting challenges coming at team Mercedes (or whatever they're calling themselves). After all, Brawn supposedly started working on their '10 car months ago, but they didn't have Honda's cash to spend this time 'round. On top of that, even though Brawn is staying on to run Merc, he only owns 25% now and I expect plenty of personnel and team structure changes to develop over time. Then again, interest in a particular type of challenge is in the eye of the beholder, and just because I think one looks more interesting than the other doesn't mean anyone else does...

As to why Button won't admit it publicly IF his true primary motive is to improve his chances of winning again next year... Hmmm, he's a fairly nice guy, and I suppose he might not want to hurt feelings among friends he's leaving behind by saying he has no confidence in their ability to repeat. I'd have the same reservations... :wink5:

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    There are some short but cool video edits from all the '09 season races available at Formula1.com. Look for "video" at the top of the home page. I'd check out the "race edits" first but the "onboard" vids are also very cool. :yesnod:

9. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Some other websites to follow are F1-Live.com (ESPN), pitpass, and the BBC F1 site at BBC SPORT|Motorsport|Formula 1

Formula1.com is the "official" F1 site and it's got some great vids and pics, but it's extremely watered down with the news. You'll never find out about the many and frequent controversies there unless it goes before the FIA and the World Motorsport Council...it's the heavy hand of FIA censorship.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    That's all very true. Formula1.com is good for the basics. I'm such a geek for F1 I usually check in at 10 sites or so every day, and Formula1.com is always last on the list unless I'm looking for when sessions will start, official stats, official announcements, technical or sporting regs, etc. Their live timing is also sometimes less glitch-prone than some others. As far as 'real' news though, look elsewhere.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I subscribe to the the F1 area of The Bleacher Report. Pretty much every day there is a selection of articles and columns.

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
  13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yep, and Eddie Jordan says Michael Schumacher WILL race for Merc next year.

I'd put my money on the Raikkonen version though...certainly not both of them...

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Mercedes finally admit they've signed Rosberg...that's one. Haug keeps saying their driver selection will "surprise" though and this news borders on boring. If there's to be any surprise it obviously must come from their other driver choice. Odd though that he'd make such a claim starting more than a week ago as though he already knew who it would be...hmmm...

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    BMW Reportedly Defrauded in Formula One Sale

Back in 2005, BMW shocked the Formula One racing world by announcing it would leave its longtime partner Williams F1 in order to acquire its rival Sauber. But after four years of racing, the economy tanked and the coffers ran dry. BMW announced it would withdraw from the sport, leaving Sauber to look for a new investor.

A new investor was found, but reports now indicate that the deal could have been an elaborate fraud. The buyer was identified as Qadbak Investments, a mysterious Swiss firm that had recently acquired a football club in England and which was supposedly backed by wealthy Middle Eastern investors who preferred to keep a low profile. After an exhaustive chase of paper trails and dummy companies, it now appears that Qadbak is nothing but a front for one Russell King, a British national based in Dubai previously convicted of fraud.

According to the report, King was planning on using Sauber as a means to tap into the revenue sharing scheme in Formula One, worth tens of millions of euros.

16. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Some have been speculating for a few days that this is why the FIA were taking so long to give Sauber the spot vacated by Toyota...as if the FIA knew about this all along...I don't believe it.

17. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sauber Jinky F1. It could happen.

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    BMW decided to sell to Sauber after all and dropped the Qadbak deal...probably because it was just a scam. The deal is actually pending the FIA granting them a slot on the grid. FIA are to publish another version of the full list again at the end of the month so I guess this becomes official one way or the other on Monday. Sooner the better for a lot of reasons, not least of which is they haven't signed any drivers yet and the longer the delay the fewer experienced and unsigned drivers remain.

Force India signed Sutil and Liuzzi, locking down a couple more.

Here's some fun speculation. At least once a year rumors start to fly again about VW entering F1. This time around Hans Stuck, who's now a representative for VW, is saying they're thinking seriously about entering but only as an engine manufacturer/supplier, though not until 2012.

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    All sorts of news today.

Montreal is back on the 2010 schedule (13 June). They have a contract through 2014.

Also, Raikkonen is reportedly very close to signing with Citroen WRC for 2010.

20. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Hotel reservations made...check!

Now the wait to see how much this whole episode is gonna affect the ticket prices... :popcorn: