Formula E 2014

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Zapski, Sep 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I know that some here may not be too interested in this, but just in case anyone is curious, here's the first race.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCK7i3-o_bY"]Formula E 2014. Round 1. Beijing. Race - YouTube[/ame]

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Senna V Prost!

Sort of.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gqTs4tU_Sw&spfreload=10"]Formula E 2014. Round 2. Putrajaya. Race - YouTube[/ame]

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    JEV is going to try it out.

Vergne to make Formula E debut with Andretti (racer.com)

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    There are some pretty big names involved in it, Andretti, Prost, Senna, Brabham, many others as well.

But the cars do sound like toys, there's no getting around that.

Next season should be better, there's talk about a wireless charging system being installed in the pit lane so that all they have to do is drive past and get recharged. I'd not want to stand on top of something like that though....

Also next season the two cars will be set up differently, one for speed, one for endurance, so there will be more strategy for the drivers.

We'll see how it shapes up.

Still, I'm glad JEV has a drive. I thought he did better than Kyvyat and deserved his seat.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Any new series takes risks to attract a following and those promoting electric racing know they need to try harder because typical racing fans are turned off as soon as they learn the cars are entirely electric. So it's understandable that they're trying think of ways to "involve" the fans, but this Fan Boost thing really bugs me.
    Seriously? A power boost based on a popularity contest? As far as I know, they re-open voting for every race, so drivers hoping for a Fan Boost go on social media to encourage their fans to vote for them. This is even more gimmicky than anything I've ever heard Bernie propose for F1.

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    #6 Zapski, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    If it's any consolation, it hasn't made a bit of difference in a race so far. Not one pass has been made due to it, so chances are it will fade into obscurity, and rightly so.

EDIT- Senna passed Prost with it in round 2, but did not finish the race.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Jean-Eric Vergne on Pole in his first FE race.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bh2IVLWzDQ&spfreload=10"]Formula E 2014. Punta Del Este Eprix. Round 3. Race - YouTube[/ame]

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I watched my first Formula E race yesterday. Most likely will be my last, they sound like slot cars & the action isn't very good at least for me. I've enjoyed watching Pinto's race Rabbits in a showroom stock C race much more.

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to keep watching. It's only three races in, and they're still figuring it all out. Shame about the noise though.

10. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Best race so far. It's getting more fun.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17I2aXZfGA&spfreload=10"]FIA Formula E Buenos Aires ePrix 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Round 5, Miami.

Better than this weekend's F1 opener, Scott Speed is driving! Did well at the end too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsgs7-v2Z0&spfreload=10"]Formula E 2015. Miami. USA. Round 5. Race - YouTube[/ame]

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Missed this round. Guess I'll watch this one. I find the pit stop to change cars quite amusing. Refueling seems quite problematic.

I've seen 2 rounds of this series & for me so far it has been a yawn fest.

13. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I've watched the better part of two races, now. The series has a lot to like: cool looking cars, interesting and different strategy, big names (BIG names). I'm trying to get excited about it because I want to support it, but I just can't. I ended up flipping over to a rerun of Golden Girls before the end of the last race. Am I just too damn old? I really think it's the sound. Our local go kart race track sounds the same. Maybe fake noise generators are in order. Not engine sounds a la the new M4, but something like Star Wars sounds. Jet sounds. Duck call. Anything.

14. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    The Buenos Ares was good. The others have been not as good. This last one picks up after the pit stop and becomes better then.

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Its sounds my little slot cars going around the race track but they need a Loopdeelop to make it interesting.

Here watch the video above with the commentators with your eyes closed then watch the video below..... :lol:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5rOkgGTSWA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5rOkgGTSWA[/ame]

16. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    So far, most of the ends of the races have been fairly dramatic. The beginning, not so much. Luckily, they only run about an hour so that's a plus.

I'm still trying to figure out the pits. The entire order seems to shuffle, which makes the second half look very different from the first.

I think next year will be better.

They're all running on a McLaren engine (motor?) this year and all the cars are nearly identical as a result. They run different power maps and setups, which may be enough to make one car better than the next, but a lot of it seems to be up to the drivers.

The power usage varies a lot by driver. JEV just drinks all the available juice, while others seem to sip. So that's an interesting other aspect to follow.

Next season they're opening up the specs to other manufacturers, so there should be more variation. Maybe they'll figure out something with the sound too.

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am telling you if they add Loop dee loop everyone around the world would tune in just to see the crashes.

That's what made NASCAR so popular for a while. :lol:

18. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Long Beach.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKN6m7_EFAo&spfreload=10"]FIA Formula E Long Beach ePrix 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

19. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  20. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    The Monaco E-Prix is tomorrow, 3 AM EST and streaming live at Formula E - Official FIA Formula E Championship

And yes, E-Prix is one of the stupidest names for things I can imagine. But on the other hand, it will be the first time that these cars are on an F1 track, so it should be interesting to see.

I'll post the YouTube when it's available.

And a quick observation - these races have been far more interesting in the final few laps for the most part than in the rest of the race. The last one was an exception. I'm going to stick with it though, just to see how it plays out. Next season should be better, as the cars will have some more variation.