Le Mans Le Mans 24H - 2015

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The 2015 Le Mans 24H is coming up, 13-14 Jun. I don't know what options may be available for viewing here in the U.S. but I'll keep my eyes open.

Test day was Sun, 31 May. Results from the two sessions can be found here (session 1) and here (2).

There's another new manufacturer in the top flight (and growing, a surprise to me) prototype class. Nissan is joining the ranks with Audi, Porsche and Toyota. Nissan's new cars have never raced so they consider 2015 participation at Le Mans a learning experience with an aim to do well next year. Here's an M/A thread for anyone interested: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/off-topic-racing/23918-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-2.html

Check out this Daily Sports Car gallery to see all the cars, listed in order of best test day times: Le Mans 24 Hours Test Day: Finish Order Gallery

As for the growing P1 class, Porsche has made it easy to tell their cars one from one another as they are three different colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Audis, on the other hand, are carbon copies of one another:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ditto Toyotas two cars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If Nissan hadn't decided to run one of their cars with a retro livery they would all be red:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other team in P1 is the non-manufacturer team Rebellion, running an Oreca-built chassis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post a link to Blackmore's Spotter Guide when it's available.

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I am a huge endurance racing fan, because it is one thing to be fast for an hour, but to be fast for 24 hours is the ultimate test of a racing team. You can't win just with the fastest car, or the fastest driver -- a 24-hour race requires a whole team of people completely dedicated to winning. I love that.

I have photographed a lot of races, but never Lemans. That is my great white whale.

BTW, if you are a racing enthusiast, and have not watched "Truth in 24," you need to watch it. It is a free download on iTunes. It is a top notch movie, and Jason Statham does the narration. I've watched it at least five times, and will probably watch it another five times.

CD

3. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    watch the 2015 6 hour races at Silverstone and Spa (youtube full length) - this year's race is going to be a cracker. It is unreal how cars so different can race so close to each other. This may never be the same again in the future.

Truth in 24 is on Netflix (or was last year), so if you pay for that, don't pay Apple to download the thing. It is pretty much a big Audi ad, but interesting and honest.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I saw a lot of both those races. What really amazed me is how different the P1s are from one another. They look similar (other than the Nissans) but because their power systems and drive trains are so different the cars can perform significantly differently on different parts of a track. Add in the differing approaches to aero and suspension and you can't tell who will be strong where.

And that's only part of the allure because, as usual in sports car racing, the multi-class racing is there. Good stuff!

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  6. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Steve, thanks very much for the spotter's guide link!

***anyone locate a TV schedule for the US****? I can't believe it won't be shown here on TV(I could care less about streaming options)...

I have checked FOX ESPN, etc....can't find any info...

thanks.

7. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    and of course, after searching all week and seeing nothing, I see now that Fox released the TV schedule yesterday!

wow, Le Mans viewership must really be terrible in the US these days....Fox Sports 1 and 2?

thanks all...

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    FOX Sports broadcast schedule (all times ET and subject to change):
    - FOX Sports GO (Saturday, June 13 at 8:30 a.m. to Sunday, June 14 at 9:30 a.m.)
    - Saturday, June 13 (8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., FOX Sports 2)
    - Saturday, June 13 (7 p.m. to 8 p.m., FOX Sports 1)
    - Saturday, June 13 (11 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., FOX Sports 2)
    - Sunday, June 14 (3:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m., FOX Sports 1)
    - Sunday, June 14 (7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., FOX Sports 2)
    - Sunday, June 14 (9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., FOX Sports 1)

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Oh, yay :rolleyes: Fox Sports 2 and GO. I don't get either of those.

This and plenty of other coverage examples were big factors in my decision to finally cut the TV cable, due to happen next week. Since the broadcasters won't cooperate and I'm increasingly forced to scramble around on line anyway to find most of the motor sport I want to see (other than F1), I've become less and less tied to the cable. I know, those who flee traditional broadcast viewing methods are just contributing to the broadcasters' lack of interest, it's a vicious cycle, but it is what it is, the times they are a changin', and I'll be looking for options on line from now on.

Speaking of, I assume there will be on line options (legal options :wink: ) for Le Mans this year as that seems to improve every year. I'll post up when I find them, feel free to contribute.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Don't know that one and I can't figure out anything useful from the site.

Maybe lemans-tv.com ?

[​IMG]

11. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    I am lucky. i have WOW cable and FS1 is in HD. I do have FS2 as well, but not in HD.

I hate streaming options due to the unpredictability of the feed and a serious lack of true 1080i material.

Trust me, I have streamed Netflix, HBO-GO and others that all say HD content. Most certainly is not :cryin:

Streaming sucks...did I say that already ??

12. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    A real connoisseur of quality interlaced footage!

[​IMG]

13. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna try this:

24 Heures du Mans®

Since I'll be at Hallett racing next weekend. Both cell service and the provided WiFi are not the best. Hopefully good enough for live timing.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Aston Martin's 'art' livery is a little hard to look at. Apparently this is intentional.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  16. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Because of the AM #97 late livery reveal - art car, above - Blackmore's spotter guides are being updated. Check back tomorrow or so. I'll post a link if I remember.

17. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0

I like it for a one off design for one race. Not sure that I could handle watching it for an entire season.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Loved the Golf livery, this one looks like a test pattern on a busted TV. It will get noticed.

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    The Aston Martin looks kind of like a grouper fish from the front.