Video: Massive crash at the Red Bull Ring

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    "Massive crash in the final lap of the European GT4 Series race at Red-Bull Ring, Austria !!!"

Everyone, both drivers and marshalls in immediate vicinity, reported to have walked away unharmed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZwRpZF8Wys"]Massive GT4 European Series crash at Red Bull Ring - YouTube[/ame]

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    What a terrible place for a marshals post. I'm glad everyone walked away. Some pretty lucky folks there for sure.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    All that and they didn't cross the finish line!

4. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    They don't get much worse than that.

5. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    I'd flag from there; have from worse. There is no such thing as a non-impact zone. As morbid as if sounds, whether in driving, flagging, pit/grid, etc., you need to understand that something could happen that you aren't going to be able to walk away.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Trouble is often a place isn't thought to be bad until proven otherwise. Hope things continue to work out for you. :fingerscrossed:

7. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    So a long time ago I took my Honda Gold Wing on a track day organised by my dealer. Since the Gold Wing then had linked front/rear brakes but no ABS, really hard braking could result ion rear wheel locking because I was so accustomed to using the foot pedal heavily in daily use. After a few laps I realised that it wasn't a problem as the huge Wing wheelbase meant even as poor a rider as me could lock the rear wheel and not lose control. But it did produce a fair bit of noise and drama - the marhsalls sitting at the other side of the gravel trap at the end of the main straight initially thought I was going to have a big accident (so did I) and jumped up for action. In the paddock afterwards one of the marshalls joked that I should pay for the damage to his folding camp chair which he had ripped when jumping up!

I was also approached by a group of semi-race Ducati riders who said it was more interesting to race the circuit with what they described as a 'mobile chicane' on it and another rmarshall approached me to say that I may have been the slowest bike on the track but I was nearly the loudest (I was playing Madness at full volume on the Wing's stereo). Oh, and none of the semi-race bikes got stopped for speeding on the way to the track, but I did on the Gold Wing and so did the owner of the dealership (in the shop van with his full race bike in the back)....

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Interesting the videos that come up at the end. Usually related the the key words of this video. Most of them involve girls with "massive" boobs. Just sayin'

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I think that says more about your viewing habits... Mine had more care wrecks, and a spider. :confused5:

Attached Files:

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Clearly a case of two drivers not willing to give the other one any room at all. Inside car forced the issue by drifting out to the edge and the outside car refusing to back off.....in fact the outside car's brake lights never came on even after the contact.

Expensive lesson...

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    There are those times where you just mash your foot down & hope to move the bozo leaning on you out of the way. Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't. FWIW if the guy on the outside would have braked he'd have thrown himself off the track. He was sort of between a rock & a hard place. Two drivers making poor choices there.

12. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    While photographing Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta, I was standing behind the concrete barrier near the inside of turn 2 when a GT class car lost it accelerating out of turn 1 and was spinning toward me. You'd be amazed at how fast a middle-aged man with heavy camera gear can move if properly motivated. :eek6:

The impact moved that barrier about three feet.

Never turn your back on the track, and always have an escape route. :Thumbsup:

CD