The final Toyota Pro-Celeb race?

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by MiniCamaro, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MiniCamaro

MiniCamaro Member

Oct 24, 2013
    retired
    west coast USA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    There was a rather bad accident involving some courseworkers, a TV star, and a Toyota higher-up at the Pro-Celeb race. In this preview, they are talking about that race possibly being the final one.

It's not the most exciting thing ever, but I enjoyed it when I saw it as a kid when I went up to LB in '90 to watch it. The geezer in my is kind of sad to see it possibly go.
    Crash at the 216 Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race at Long Beach GP - Road racing Videos

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach officials announced last month that they are discontinuing the event after 40 years. Toyota officials said they could no longer provide the support needed for the race since the company is moving its North American headquarters from Torrance to Plano, Texas. Toyota will continue to sponsor the main race event on Sunday, however.

It's why the field was stacked with previous winners this year.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I feel like this could have gone away a few years ago, give or take. Something changed, I couldn't say exactly what but I lost interest.