Dieselgate effects on motorsport

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Many have predicted VW's Dieselgate scandal would affect their ability to pay for motorsport programs. Looks like the ax is now swinging.

They announced about a week ago or so that they were pulling Audi out of Le Mans. Now it looks like they're pulling the plug on their WRC program.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    While Dieselgate has some part in the WEC pullout there is more to it than that. Porsche is in the same series, both teams were individually spending $500,000.00 annually to in effect, race each other. That ROI doesn't pan out.

After dipping their toe in Formula E with ABT, Audi is going full on for in the series for the next season.

As to WRC, I do think that is fully a casualty of Dieselgate.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    All true re the Audi, Porsche clash in high profile endurance racing. I figured the writing was finally on the wall when Audi announced they "planned to incorporate Formula E into a factory-backed motorsport programme as of the 2017/18 season." It still feels strange, though, to think of it as a switch from big time prototypes to Formula E. Those who forget this is all VW and they still have Porsche in WEC will be even more confused.

May mean a lot of advancement coming soon in the electric racing world...maybe.

The timing of VW pulling out WRC is unfortunate. They're in the throes of finishing development on their all new 2017-spec runner and now it will just sit on the shelf? I assume that means all the development is now shelved.

Also means a bunch of top tier drivers are now on the market. Mark Webber is quitting at Porsche so there's one open seat available. Wonder where all the others will go. Can't imagine Ogier deciding it's a good time to retire from WRC.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I hate to hear this for WRC

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #5 Steve, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    And now they've confirmed it. Out of WRC as well, though, unlike their WEC switch to Formula E, there isn't a motorsport series swap for the WRC effort. So, two for one: out of WEC and WRC, full manufacturer effort in Formula E. Much less budget and I guess it fits with the parent company's recent emphasis on electric drive trains for production cars.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure electric is what VW sees as the future. So going whole hog into Formula E makes sense. I'm sad to see them leave WRC, but with Toyota coming back it still should be a good show. :fingerscrossed:

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Ullrich already planned to retire soon so I'm not sure how related this announcement might be to the news about Audi pulling out of the WEC.

Ullrich to Step Down as Head of Audi Motorsport at End of Year (sportscar365.com)