Lexus LFA Test Driver Killed in crash outside of the Nürburgring

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From AutoWeek

[​IMG]

When I met Hiromu Naruse, the so-called Godfather of the Lexus LFA, last month, the man before me was a focused, unflinching, car fanatic with little time for neophytes.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s weathered 67-year-old master test driver exuded an almost mystical air.

One never doubted his confidence or control behind the wheel. I certainly had no inkling, as we talked trackside at Germany's Nürburgring race circuit, that he would die there just a month later.

“I'm only halfway up the stairs,” he said, regarding plans for future racing and fine-tuning of the LFA super sports car he was instrumental in creating. “I'm still ready for the next step.”

Perfectionism seemed to ooze from every pore: “On every team, everyone does 99 percent. But it's the additional 1 percent that makes the difference in the pursuit,” he told me.

Perhaps it was a fitting end, dying strapped into the car he dedicated his golden years to. The LFA is the pinnacle of the Toyota lineup, not only in price but performance and engineering.

Toyota on Wednesday confirmed earlier press reports out of Germany that Naruse was killed when the yellow LFA he was test-driving crashed on a road just outside the circuit.

Press reports said his car crossed the centerline on a road near the 'Ring and smashed head-on into a BMW carrying two other test drivers. Both BMW drivers survived; one is in critical condition.

Pictures from Germany's Rhein-Zeitung newspaper show the mangled LFA lying nose-to-nose with a badly damaged purple BMW. Police quoted in the story said all the victims were wearing helmets and that cars were packed full of electronic equipment.

Naruse, who joined Toyota in 1963 and was a personal driving mentor to president Akio Toyoda, is believed to have logged more hours at the Nürburgring's notoriously demanding track than any other Japanese. Last year, he drove an LFA in the Nürburgring's 24-hour endurance race.

As the head of Toyota's Gazoo Racing Team, he earned the nickname Meister of Nürburgring.

Naruse loved the thrill of racing and pushing a car to its limits. But he was also keenly aware of his role as a test driver in tempering cars that will eventually be sold to the public.

“We want a car that people feel and comfortable in,” Naruse told me. “Until you try it out at a place like this, you just don't know.”

Read more: Naruse only ‘halfway up the stairs' with the LFA when crash outside Nürburgring claimed him

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How sad....

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Very sad indeed, at least he went doing what he loved... Doubt that that will be of much consolation to his family and friends though. RIP

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Mr Hiromu Naruse was part of the development team that produced the Toyota 2000GT. He will truly be missed. RIP

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Ok what the heck was he doing "outside" the track? Yes it's sad but, if he was doing this "outside" then shame on him! :mad: Hopefully the two other guys survive.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's hard to tell from just that pic, but the damage to either car doesn't appear that bad, we've all seen worse on the road and have seen folks walk away from them - what was it about this one that proved so bad for the people inside both cars?

It doesn't look like they were going that fast, and since all cars have ABS there are no skid marks to help tell what happened.

I wonder if somehow the helmets/airbags contributed to their injuries?

For example, I didn't think the side curtain air bags deployed in a front offset hit.......

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Looks to me like they hit head on with just about equal force and stopped right there..... Leaving one to believe that this could be a case of Basiliar skull fracture where the head continues on it's path longer than the rest.... :(

They reported helmets but were they wearing some sort of Hans device.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I seriously doubt anyone had on a Hans device, don't those have to be intergrated into the car as well as the helmet?

But that's what I was thinking too, somehow the helmet's extra mass caused the personal damage.....

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Very sad :frown5:

10. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Toyota has truly suffered a great loss :sad:

11. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    This is why those who have had shunts at the track or gone logging at the Dragon shouldn't feel bad. It happens to the very best.

12. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Modern HANS devices fit right to your shoulders and helmet and are independent of the car.

[​IMG]

Just after the Dragon, I stopped by to test drive a Caterham in Joliet, IL. Anyway, at the Autobahn Country Club where I met the Caterham guy, they had half of the track closed off for LFA testing/showcasing/press event (actual nature unknown/forgotten.) There is a good chance that Naruse was there that day.

13. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    :sad:
    We'll never know what actually happened. The real thing is that Mr. Hiromu Naruse will be missed ( RIP ) and the other driver recovers.
    This will teach us all a life lesson.

Mark
    Group4

14. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the wreckage and then reading that they were all wearing helmets I think its pretty clear that it is a case of the Basiliar Skull Fracture...It killed Earnheart remember in a seemingly light crash...looks as if airbags and crash helmets don't mix

Is Toyota jinxed???