Ferrari 458 GTC testing in the snow...

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's no point, to paraphrase the old adage, in closing the door after the horses have already left the stable. The same could be said of Prancing Horses – the red variety that hail from Maranello, specifically. So after the first image of Ferrari's latest sports racer leaked out a few days ago, the Italian automaker and racing team have now released a quartet of additional shots.

The successor to the F430 GT2, the new 458 GTC will take on all comers in sports and endurance racing series around the world – most of them with the name "Le Mans" in the title. The new challenger is currently undergoing track testing at the hands of former FIA GT class champion and two-time Le Mans class winner Jaime Melo over the course of the winter in advance of its scheduled debut at the Sebring 12 Hours race in the American Le Mans Series.

Ferrari Press Release

458 GTC takes its first steps at Fiorano

Maranello, 10 December 2010 –A few days after the official launch of the 458 Challenge at the Bologna Motor Show on 2 December, today saw the end of a two day shakedown carried out by Ferrari at Fiorano of the 458 GTC, the latest jewel to emerge from Maranello, which will be taking on the opposition in the most important GT races at international level.

The car's development on track has been entrusted to Jaime Melo, the Brazilian who competed in this year's American Le Mans Series with the Risi Competizione team. He also teamed up with Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander in the AF Corse squad's F430 GT2 to bring the Prancing Horse the Constructors' title in the 2010 Intercontinental Le Mans Cup.

Antonello Coletta, head of the Ferrari Corse Clienti Department had this to say about the initial testing of the 458 GTC: "We are pleased with the feedback we have had from the engineers and drivers about the car." Development is in its initial statges and this is just the third test the car has undergone at Fiorano. "Thanks to the good weather these past two day, it has been possible to gather more data than in previous sessions, which were run in snowy and rainy conditions."

The next step? "We will continue development over the winter months, which will culminate in the car's debut in the Sebring 12 Hours, the famous endurance race and the first race in next season's American Le Mans Series."

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Pure sex......

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    There was a 458 Italia at the last track day this year, when it went past me on the straight it sounded bad to the bone!

The car is absolutely beautiful up close too, where you can see all of the clever engineering done to the body.

I swear, the brake rotors were bigger around than my tires/wheels!

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    What's under that louvered hood, if the engine is in the back?

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Always drive your convertible Mini with the roof down, even when it's cold. Last January I was enjoying as bit of winter sun when a Ferarri Enzo (I think) came past me slow enough that I could cup my hand round my ear - the driver was clearly paying attention as he kindly pulled alongside me at about 80, changed into (maybe) third, lit up his rear tyres and kept the throttle planted until I could only hear him, not see him. Luscious.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Hot air outlets from the multitude of radiators in the front.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Really cool stuff:lol:

Mark

8. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    nice kit car.

9. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy Clarkson said that the 458 is the best Ferrari ever.....Not that any of us on here watch top gear.....:)

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    BTW, back in the day I used to drive my Dino all winter - including in the snow! It actually handled pretty well too, being mid engined and rear drive...

Seems like heresy today, but back then people thought they were cars and supposed to be used all year long.