Who in Texas is going to this......

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Paul Webster, Jan 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Paul Webster

Paul Webster New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
  2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not me, thats south of Houston which like a 6hr drive for me. You could drive across the UK at it's widest point and cover less ground.

Looks to be an interesting event. We'll probably never ever see anything like that in the MINI world, whether drag or road racing.

3. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I had planned on going down there, but plans have changed. Really wish i was going there, b/c this showdown has been in the making for years now.

To bad the MINIs will never be at that performance level.

4. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    4 hours for me, but I wouldn't drive 40 minutes for drag racing. Its boring.

5. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thats about as a mindless and ignorant blanket statement ive read on this site in a while. :frown2: Drag Racing can be just as exciting and/or boring as any other automotive sport, but this particular event is certainly non of the later.

What exactly is so boring about cars going from a stand start 0-170 in roughly 8.25sec ? Most people only dream of feeling that sort of rush...:lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3D-himDZs[/ame]

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I will admit it is an interesting, dangerous and changeling sport, but I could not stand there a watch it for very long either. Straight lines and oval tracks, just are not my thing to watch for a prolonged period of time.

Jim

7. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever actually went an watched either event on a professional level ?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've been to a few Nascar races, Dover, Daytona, Rockingham, Bristol, and of them all the only one that did not bore me to tears was Bristol.

Never have attended a drag race, just doesn't hold my interest.

Been to my fair share of SCCA, Trans AM, CART and IMSA races and those I find fascinating. Different strokes...

9. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    But you have atleast went to some events, and havent dismissed them all.

IMO NHRA events are amazing to attend, not just for the racing, but also the access to the pits you gain when attended. The level of "cool **** eye candy" is pretty high up on the scale. Not to mention you can waste a solid 45min of your time and watch an entire motor/tranny get torn down and rebuilt to running status.

I guess i dont understand the mentality it takes to completely sign off on disliking something when you havent really gotten to experience it. How on earth do you really know you wont enjoy it, w/o experiencing it first hand.

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Get ya a nice seat down reeeeeal close, a little over half way down the track and watch two top fuelers go by.......when your hearing returns and your heart rate levels off, come back and tell us how bored you were... lol

Different types of racing, each have their moments!!!

11. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What I am having a hard time understanding is how you can get so upset over something that was never said!
    The OP said that drag racing was boring, he never said he hadn't attended one.

I've attended, I've been a competitor and I still think its boring. Criticize away.

12. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The person i was addressing was NOT the OP ;)

He went out of his way to share his disdain for drag racing, so i went out of my way to say it was an ignorant statement. I am not upset by any means, just put off that people still have that mentality.

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have. Went to drag races, most likely before you were born and attended Daytona back in the 60's to include a pit pass. I have the up most respect for the folks who do that, but it is just not my thing. In fact my Nice's husband represents Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhadrt Jr, yet still it is not my thing. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Jim

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys it's whatever floats your boat.. Personally I'd probably watch bath tub racing if there was such a thing but not everybody likes bath tubs and that's OK...

..... it's all good. ;)

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If I was not on the iPad I'd post the links to the bathtub racing I found on you tube. So yeah...it's out there.

16. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Well there ya go!! LOL

Of course watching any kind of racing, be it bathtubs, NASCAR, NHRA, F1, etc.; is eclipsed by any day doing an HPDE yourself!!!!! ;)

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I'm not ignorant, but I won't argue with the mindless part. And as far as boring, it IS the 8.25 seconds and its over part.

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNayDu_Iul8]YouTube - Bathtub racing[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGa3_mtHEXg&feature=related]YouTube - Motorized portapotties[/ame]
    And this
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivPwPJnGAZ4&feature=related]YouTube - Toilet Racing[/ame]

I used to go to drag races when I was teenager, loved it. Worked pits as a teenager at a local 1/4 mile asphalt track, loved that. Been going to Indy the last 4 years, REALLY LOVE that:Thumbsup:

Mark

19. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ROFLMAO!!!

Ummmm maybe a MA signature event at MOTD:

"The first annual Motoring Alliance Bathtub Derby and Toilet Roll"!!!? :)

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Another good event to wear our Bowling Shirts. :Thumbsup:

Jim