My MK2 VW GTI 20V 1.8T Projekt

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Batrugger, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #1 Batrugger, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Translation is The 20 Valve Scirocco Project. I have had this 16V Scirocco for a couple of years and it was a project in itself to get it driveable:

IMG_0224.jpg

I have done a lot of work restoring it:

IMG_7728.jpg IMG_7720.jpg IMG_7806.jpg

but the real story is just begining [​IMG]

I got a great deal on an 2003 20th Anniversary Edition GTI except that it wasn't in the best of shape:

IMG_7809.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7813.jpg

What was good is the engine, ecu, wiring harnesses, and keys. Everything I need to do a complete swap into the Scirocco. I plan on putting the dash, cluster, even the stereo and AC into the interior of the Scirocco, and then drop the 1.8T 20V engine in the bay. It already has an APR flash on it so it will be close to 200 whp. Believe it or not, 1.8T into MK1 chassis are not that rare so there is a lot of info and even conversion mounts for the engine. The transmission I have won't work, but is a rare 6 speed one so it will actually pay for the purchase of the whole car. Right now I am stripping the donor to help finance things and working on getting the Rocco ready. I will probably be going for the actual motor swap in Nov so stayed tune. Not only will I be dropping a great engine in with a modern interior, but I will be restoring the paint as well to make this a car worthy to win any show. Until then here they are meeting for the first time:

IMG_7817.jpg

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Very cool project. I wanted one version of Scirocco or another for years but always had reason to buy something else. Great engine.....would love to work on a project like that.....very jealous. Keep us updated!

3. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, unfortunately there won't be much progress for awhile since I am working on getting the donor stripped and parted out to pay for this. Nov is the target date to pull the engine. I just want to make sure that I have everything ready before then.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Quite the project...and thanks for sharing it with us.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Cool restoration !

Is that an '86? I had an '84 for a bit, but sold it to get a family car and didn't want to part with my '78.

Have fun!

6. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    in for the fun stuff. more and more, I'd like a project like this for the third car...since the other two are less than 5 years old.

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It is an 87. I love having it sitting out there. If i have free time, I can just say, "I'm going to go work on the car." :cornut:

8. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Worked on the donor today:

IMG_7861.jpg

I got all of the wires unplugged and pulled out. I labled most everything as well to make things easier later on.

IMG_7862.jpg

Here's a pic of the Rocco's engine bay. It is almost a shame to take it out since it is running so well now:

IMG_7866.jpg

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Need to find a good new home for it then, eh?

10. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes that is the plan. Hopefully I'll get a buyer lined up for it when it comes out in Nov :idea: If I get everything sold, I'll be into this for no cost or even a profit :D

11. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I got a 90 GTI the other day for $500 to be a daily driver back-up while I swap the 20V into the Scirocco.
    IMG_7879.jpg IMG_7885.jpg

1990 MKII GTI with an ABA swap in it.

The good stuff:

Corrado Brakes
    Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    FK Struts
    H&R Springs
    Techtonics catback
    Nice interior

The bad:

Doesn't run due to a bad head
    It has a MKIII 2.0 ABA swap so I have no clue what was done to it, or what needs to be done to make it run
    Needs a New Grill and Front Bumper
    No Rear Bumper
    Minor body damage
    Horrible black paint job that was sprayed over the red without any prep
    I need two wheels to fit over the Corrado calipers
    Bad head on the ABA

IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7877.jpg IMG_7880.jpg IMG_7881.jpg

The original plan was to put my extra 20V 1.8T in my Scirocco, but after getting this car it just makes more sense to leave the Scirocco a 16V since it is running really great. Since the GTI isn't running and needs engine work, I'm just going to do the 20V swap with it.
    With the Scirocco, I was waiting until November to start this, but with the GTI I can get started now.

Working a couple of hours each day after work the last week I was able to get the engine out:

IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7900.jpg

Now it is time to start cleaning it up in there, shaving the bay, and getting it prepped for paint. Thankfully since I am in the desert, there really isn't any rust on it.

Now that i have a hoist and stand, I am going to get the 1.8T pulled and on the stand tomorrow. I'll also get the rest of the donor car stripped so I can get it out of the driveway. Using the GTI will make this swap a lot easier, but it still will not be easy. The big dilemma I have now is that I really love the GTI interior and I'm just not sure if i want to use the newer dash in it. If I dont use it, it will make the wiring more complicated, but I still plan on completely swapping the harness. Looks like I need to change the title to the 1.8T MKII GTI Projekt

Here's a pic from the end of today:

[​IMG]

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My HOA would have a fit! They gave me grief over a perfectly running cosmetically fine but unregistered in TX Jeep.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean. I got grief for a new and registered trailer in my own driveway for a couple weeks -- "no trailers may be parked, viewable from the street, for an extended period."

------------------

Batrugger: Click the "report post" button or send me a pm if you want the thread title changed.

14. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    All of this is in back of my house and we don't have a HOA. We just have to worry about the city. The donor can't be seen from anywhere on the street. The GTI is sitting at the top of my driveway which goes all the way down the side and past the back of the house and it can be seen from the street. I am going to put some front wheels on it (I have to take them off of the back of the Rocco) and move it next to the storage shed and it won't be visible either. Hopefully I'll get the wreck out of here this week. I have a friend who recycles cars and he going to come and haul it away for me when it is ready.

15. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! I love MarkIIs. What other plans do you have for the GTI? Are you going to switch the OEM leather Recaro's?

Anyway good luck and i'm looking forward to your progress.

16. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I am going to redo everything on it, but right now the emphasis is going to be on getting the swap to work. The car has cloth seats and the interior is my big conflict now. The original plan was to put a the MKIV dash in it to work with the cluster, but I really like the interior the way it is. I need the cluster in the car though because of the ECU.

Yesterday I was able to get the 20V pulled from the 03 GTI:
    IMG_7903.jpg

I also pulled the drive by wire pedal and the cable shifter. I think that is about all I need now, but I am going to hang on to the shell for awhile longer to make sure I have everything I need. The weather was cold and windy today So instead of cleaning the engine bay and engine I sorted my tools and cleaned the garage because I was sick of taking too much time trying to find the right tool to get the job done. When I was finished, I saw a Kodak moment in the driveway:

IMG_7909.jpg

17. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wowsers. Quite the circus of project cars! Can't wait to see the finished results though!

Always liked the Roccos.

18. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any updates to this build?

19. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes there is. Finally got the hardware to get the engine on the stand:

IMG_7923.jpg

I cleaned it a little and got some things pulled from it so that I can start detailing it. I am going to get the the cover, fuel rail, aluminum lines, and intake polished. I also got a powergasket for it. The Y pipe was split so I ordered a Eurojet PCV Hose Kit. Depending on my budget, I may do some other enhancements. I also found a G60 Corrado front cross member to withstand the added power:

IMG_7924.jpg

Next I got the dash out and did some comparing:

IMG_7942.jpg IMG_7943.jpg IMG_7941.jpg

It looks like the height and length are close to the same, but the width on the MKIV dash is a lot wider. I am still not sure about doing the dash swap yet. I will need to use the MKIV cluster and I would need to modify the MK2 dash for it to fit so either way I will have to modify a dash. When i removed the dash, I pulled the wipers to make it easier to get to the nuts underneath the rain tray. Since I am going to be using the newer wiring harness, I checked to see if I could use the MKIV wipers in the MK2:

IMG_7938.jpg

The MKIV wipers are too narrow to fit in the MK2, but the motors were a direct swap. This picture shows the newer motor installed. Using this motor will give me all of the functions of the MKIV wipers on the MK2.

I got all of the wiring out and stripped the front out of the car:
    IMG_7947.jpg IMG_7948.jpg

I also pulled the rack off and dropped in my MKIV steering to see if it would work:

IMG_7946.jpg

It looks like the dimensions are the same, but the bolts to mount it to the sub frame don't match up. I would need to drill holes to make it work. I would still like to use it because i believe it would the swap go easier by being able to easily bolt on the MKIV column and power steering lines. I also got the bay cleaned a little more and I willl next be dropping the subframe to clean and refurbish:

[​IMG]

I can't get that master cylinder off because the 11mm bolts are frozen and only one has come loose. I am thinking about removing all of the lines and then using the lines, master cylinder and ABS pump from the MKIV. I also bought a grinder and some stripping wheels so I am going to start stripping the paint from the bay and getting it all cleaned up before I get the motor in. I'm going to get some G60 pedals this week, but I still need to find an 02J trans. Hopefully I'll sell my six speed soon. My polished parts still aren't done for the engine so I did some detailing and polishing of my own:

IMG_7944.jpg

20. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Would you be the first guy to drop a MKIV dash into a MKII? I think it'd look amazing because I love the look of the MKIV cluster.

As for the wipers... Why don't you just do a single wiper instead of two? You can then change wiper length and it wont be too narrow. It'll make it look more euro. (If that's what you are going for.)