My R53's progress! PICS!

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Tummi_Gummi, Mar 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    #1 Tummi_Gummi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    I kind of wanted to just recollect on my mini and share with everyone most of its highlights and changes/upgrades.
    I will start at the beginning when I first got her. :wink:
    So this was back in September of last year and it was definitely a fixer upper. She had sat for about 6 months after having starting issues. I got a decent deal which progressively became worse as the days passed with the cars repairs and its projects. It was basically stock when I had it. Actually the previous owner tried "spiffing" it up. They took some orange PlastiDip to the front wheels without even taking them off, so the calipers and buttom of the struts plus the vender linings all had this orange plasti dip on it which basically might as well just be real spray paint. If its not sprayed on thick enough it really won't peel off like the point of it. So after they realized wow that looks bad they went ahead and had a go with some black. This is how I got the car.
    [​IMG]
    Not bad, you can see the wheels look pretty horrible.
    Here was what was wrong with her and Im not going to go over and cosmetics, this is pure mechanical cons.
    -Blown CV axle boot seals
    -Destroyed Lower control arm bushings
    -Starter
    -Alternator
    -Power steering pump
    -Pads and rotors were trash
    -Tires were at about 10% life remaining
    -Bad security computer module(why it wouldn't start)
    -O2 sensor
    -Windshield was horribly chipped and cracked
    -No head unit... torn seat too(patched now) :frown2:
    I am desperately trying to track some leather seat set from a parting mini for a fair price.

I know i am forgetting stuff I will probably have to edit and add in stuff as I remember later. So I pretty much gave her a tune up as soon as I got the engine running. Spark Plugs and wires, O2 sensor, replaced stock intake box w/ k &n air filter, oil change/filter to mobile 1 synthetic 5w30, ecu reset, and Alta 15% pulley w/ new belt.

First thing I did after the tune up was power washed that PlastiDip gunk off of there!
    [​IMG]

So now I have a sexy looking mini and I wanna play with my new toy.. So I play....
    [​IMG]
    Why not? The tires are crap anyways and in 2 weeks from this I am planning on new wheels and tires. Oh and P.S. That traction control... ahahaha I had a good welcome by it the first time I tried a burnout. We hadn't met yet, so I was unaware of it's presence. :shocked: It felt like getting rear ended.
    This is a shot downtown chillin in the street light. I think this was in January.
    [​IMG]

I did a pretty awesome burnout that same night the photo above was taken.
    I made some smoke and absolutely RUINED my tires. (continentals that were on the car when i got it)
    [​IMG]
    Which is what finally got me to break down and order the sparco assetto garas 17x7 with new run flats
    [​IMG]

It was about time for some brakes so I order front and rear rotors and pads off WMW. EBC green stuff and some premium slotted rotors. And got those sway bar and control arm bushings while I was at it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Prepressed(And I did return my core) :D They are a monster to install, such a huge job. Luckily a week before this I was introduced to a guy at my work who lives just down the highway from me and he has his own fully equipped auto garage on his property and granted me full access whenever I so please just give him a heads up. He is awesome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, those bushings were toast!
    While I was at that I also installed the BSH stiff rear engine mount.
    Now to some cosmetics.
    I really didn't like the front grille too much and it didn't seem like it would clean up at all. So I just replaced that with the black honey comb mesh one off of ebay. Installed aztec rear tail lights and h.i.d. conversion with black plastic and projector housings. Also ended up with some trim restoring wax and this really made her shine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have already met up with the local car clubs. Actually I do miss the Suzuki for these but mainly because the Suzuki has a lot of mods and well its a Suzuki so people are always curious lol and gets a lot more attention.
    [​IMG]

I will probably add to this post and edit it and make it my build thread. I had to cut it short at the end due to time restraints but I will finish this up later. Here is a video of the car recently doing a couple gear stretches.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8lkoBowKE&feature=share&list=UUiPsAojni7zRVqNQjpp-7bw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8lkoBowKE&feature=share&list=UUiPsAojni7zRVqNQjpp-7bw[/ame]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Nice transformation! What a huge difference from the first picture to the second.

3. WINGS1

WINGS1 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Solutionist Machinery provider to Woodworking, Cou
    Clemmons, NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Hope you can make it to MOTD so we can see in person. Nice docudrama! :D:D:D

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: You've done a lot of work on that R53 and It Shows!:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice job on all your work, it looks great.

6. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    #6 RallyMini370, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    Is this what happens to the control arm bushes with road use? A bloody rally is going to kill them! what black trim stuff did you use? Nice car dude

7. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, the trim stuff was turtle wax brand at oriellys. I got the trim restorer fold all automotive siding and stuff. I did NOT get the stuff that says specifically for black. The reason why is because that stuff is a black dye that will stain your paint. It happened on my suzuki on a small spot once. The turtle wax stuff is clear like a glu gun stick and its consistency is the same as any gel. Comes with applicator sponge. And I do not know what the previous owner had done with his mini. I had got it at 250k miles. So it could been just every day use or hard roading. I couldn't tell you. What I can say for sure is while researching those bushings everywhere i found people said you had to tug hard to pull the arm out of the bushing(i did not whatsoever) and that this was a common issue(bushings failing) Well I noticed a "snag" feeling when first braking and getting on it. Plus I could feel the wheels shaking bad 55+ So I replaced. And good as new :)

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Great job

9. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    #9 Tummi_Gummi, Mar 11, 2013
    Its not a project rebuild. This is my daily driver. I have a 350hp suzuki tuner that is my build and project. I am going to do light enough mods to daily drive it but enough to have some fun when I do. I definitely have a lot of suspension mods in mind and I am thinking some coil overs next to lower her a couple inches.

10. 1momini

1momini New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    mechanical contractor
    Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Inspiring

11. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    #11 Tummi_Gummi, Mar 12, 2013
    post contents added to thread post

12. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I have a 350hp suzuki tuner ??? sounds interesting.....photos? All my rally cars are daily drivers

13. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    #13 Tummi_Gummi, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    Here are some pics and list of some mods

Engine | j20a 2.0L DOHC - Forged Carrillo pistons - Forged Intake and exhaust valves 4 mm larger - ported head - blue print intake and exhaust manifold - ported intake manifold -
    Performance | GT28rs Turbo - 18psi - e85 - AEM FIC 30-1910
    Fuel Setup | AEM Adjustable FPR - Walbro 255 Pump - 800cc Injectors
    Gauges | All AEM Wideband - Oil Temp - Water Temp - Oil Pressure - Boost - EGT
    Cooling System | Aluminum Radiator Swap - Oil Cooler and Remote Filter System
    Suspension | KYB Struts - B&G Springs - SWT Strut Bar - Polyurethane Bushing Kit
    Brakes | EBC Greenstuff Sport Pads and Zinc Drilled/Slotted Rotors

It has been shown on here before beside my mini
    [​IMG]

and again here on day 1 of my mini ownership
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Nice Suzuki! If only Mini had come with a decent engine instead of that Tri-tec anchor!

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Chris if you had a supercharger on your MINI engine you'd see how fast of an anchor a Tri-tec is. :smilewinkgrin:

16. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :wink: No...........He needs the panty waist hair dresser French Turbo Prince/Peugeot engine that my Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS JCWm) has.:lol::lol::lol:

Jason

17. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I need a Lancia S4 set up...supercharger and turbo. The Tri-Tec seems OK but the weight is incredible compared to Subaru or Suzuki. The Pug 207 engine looks better.

18. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :eek6::eek6: I agree but be careful of the Pentagon guys around here.:wink::wink::lol::lol:

Jason