2nd MINI 2005 'stock' MINI Cooper S

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by c0op3r, May 22, 2016.

1. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    #1 c0op3r, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    So here is my new build:

Lets start with a little back story, I have a 2006 MCSa (automatic, not a cvt a real 6 speed) that is right at 100k miles the transmission pretty much gave up the ghost. So I was going to do a swap to a Manual Transmission. I started out by looking for a transmission; I was mainly looking for a FACTORY LSD unit. When I found one, the price was a little, how do I saw this, insane.

So I happened across a car on Craigslist, that was about an hour drive and was a documented factory LSD car. It was an 2005 Red, with most of the options. So I worked out a time to see the car drove it a bit, and we agreed on a price. $5250 cash on the spot. I had brought a tag so I drove it home.

Understand this was a parts car, I had no intention of ever putting this thing back on the road or a tag on it. So I drove it for a few days, and was getting ready to start taking it apart, selling off the parts and putting the transmission parts aside for the conversion.

I was a little nervous of the conversion, as I knew that I was going to have to swap ECU and complete wiring harness also. Well after about 3 to 4 days I went to bed one night milled over the numbers to do what I would want and woke up the next morning and told the wife; I think I am going to do a complete build on the Red Car.

Shockingly she said: OK

The next morning we put it on the insurance and went to the tag agency, 750$ later and 2 new tags (it was time to renew my other MINI anyway). I got sequential tags.

So I already had a basic plan in place, as I have done a build over years on my 2006 MCSa mentioned above. Well I am a little OCD, so both cars need to be basically the same. Understand this means I have a pair of work glasses, sunglasses, phone holder, iPhone Interface (Audiovox MediaBridge) and the likes in both, you get the idea. Insane I know but at least I know it’s the case and just work through it.

So it started – I started my plan and started getting parts.

Oh one of the other things that put a date on this needing to be done was that there was a tentative plan for a tuning event in my area. So first thing I got involved in that and made it happen. We had 15 cars scheduled in less than 2 weeks and a Dyno reserved, and more important a DATE for this to HAVE to be done.

So lets get to the Build:

• Block from the 2006 MINI Cooper S
    • Crank – Factory (but machined and polished)
    • RMW Rods
    • RMW Pistons 77.5mm
    • RMW Big Valve Head
    • RMW 450cc Injectors (aka Doge SRT4 Injectors)
    • RMW Camshaft (Dominator)
    • RMW Baffled Oil Pan
    • King Race Main Bearings
    • King Race Rod Bearings
    • ATI Crank Damper
    • 17% WayMotorWorks Supercharger Pulley
    • RMW Header (with Catalytic)
    • JCW Exhaust
    • GTT Stealth Cold Air Intake
    • AquaMist Water Methanol Injection System
    • MC40 Style Gauge Mount (AquaMist Gauge/Controller & Boost Gauge)
    • Wayland Shift Knob (thank the wife for this one)
    • JCW Springs
    • JCW Shock
    • R56 Rear Trailing Arms (GP style)
    • R56 Front Brakes
    • R56 Front Rotors Drilled & Slotted
    • BBS/MINI R90 Wheels
    • NM adjustable Lower Control Arms
    • Hotchkis 22mm Hollow Rear Sawy Bar
    • PowerFlex Rear Bushings for the R56 Trailing Arms
    • Power Flex Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
    • Power Flex Lower Engine Mount Bushing

Also new A/C system, new radiator fan(that damn lower speed resistor), new clutch kit.

So once I had my cylinder head core it was shipped off to Jan at RMW and it was CNC’ed and the new valves installed, it was then returned to me.

I took all the motor parts to the local builder that built my motor for the MCSa (RevMasters) and they:

Magnafluxed the block to test to make sure it was a viable candidate for the build
    Cleaned and painted the block
    Bored it .5mm over
    Decked the head
    Balanced the rotating assembly
    Gapped the rings for forced induction (and nitrous)
    Assembled the rotating assembly (aka short block)

After RevMaster was done, I picked up the Short Block and took it to my friend Ian @ Maitland Imports here in Orlando and his guys did final assembly on the engine, and installed it in the car.

I ordered the Dimsport Programming unit from Jan at RMW to get a base tune on the motor. When you install a BVH, Injectors and Cam, the engine will run contrary to popular belief it just does not idle well.

So a base tune was installed and I drove the car for the 500 mile break in, for break in we used NEW OEM oil Filter and ~2 quarts non synthetic oil and 2 quarts Brad Penn high zinc break in oil. I just got over the 500 miles before the tuning event, and that oil was dumped and fresh non-synthetic oil was put in for the next 1000 miles.

The car received final tuning the Saturday after that oil change and made 227 to the wheels. I think there is more in the car, it just needs more tuning time, and the next thing that is going in the car will be a ViPec Stand-Alone ECU.

So basically I created a 2005 (face-lift) MINI Cooper S that is NEW, has a 1.63L Motor making about 250 Horse Power at the Crank.

I will post photos soon, but note there is not much to see on the car, as it was kept with a complete stock appearance, this was done on purpose, I did not want to spend the money to make a flashy car, its for me and I know what is under the hood and in the motor.

I do have some motor photos, and I am happy to answer any questions you might have, so post them below.

Oh you might be asking what happen to the 2006 MCSa - well that got a brand new transmission and is still mine and working fine.

c0op3r

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice list of RMW motor mods.:Thumbsup:

3. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Some Random Photos as promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That is what my car looked like in 2005 as a virgin before all the mods. Nice color combo. :ihih::Thumbsup:

5. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0

I did not pick color and really did not care, I was buying an LSD Transmission.