94 VW Golf Sport Craziness

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by drabdub, Dec 30, 2010.

1. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Okay so this is my project drabdub.

this is the second car that i have had of this body style so i already had a list of plans for it when i picked it up.

when i first bought this car it already had a front end swap from a volkswagen jetta along with a badgeless grill and a couple of other mods.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first thing that i did to the car was change rims to 17" Motegi dv5's that i had on my other car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after that i sprayed my steelies neon green and put on new euro fenders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i had a car show coming up so i fixed the sub enclosure that was in the hatch when i bought it and finished primering the car so it was all the same color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

somewhere along the way i changed rims yet again

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a big update happened when i had a hatch imported from europe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and another new set of rims...these are the ones currently on the car and this is how the car currently sits for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

until the next update any questions and/or comments are more than welcome.:cornut:

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a nice work in progress :cool:

Looked better in the first pic than the last lol... probably the 'missing tons of various pieces' thing though

3. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    love those seats.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Frankly I like the car in grey better than that faded, tired red....but I'm trying to understand the point. Is the car supposed to stay in primer?

What's different about the hatch that you went to the trouble and expense to have it imported from Europe? Was the point of the change in the front fenders to get the Euro side markers? If so, couldn't you have just cut the holes in the existing fenders? Isn't that redundant given the markers in the front bumper just ahead of the wheels? Will you use both?

What is your end goal for the look of the car? Smooth custom? Slightly warmed over stock? Primer Euro-rod?

Where are you going with this, exactly?

Your screename is drabdub, is that the intent, to build a drab looking old VW Rabbit?

5. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so the goal of the project is to shave most of the car and paint the car jeep metallic green.

the euro fenders just happened to be a set i found at the junkyard because i had one bad fender when i bought it. and it was a half off day at the local yard so i bought both sides so they matched. to keep with my shaved look im actually having plates made that go in the holes in the fenders that have the logo of the shop that is doing the work with me.

the difference in the hatches is there are no holes in the glass of the euro hatch and the licence plate tub is made to hold a euro plate instead of a california sized plate.

6. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ok so some updates i didnt put in last night cause i couldnt find the pictures. the headliner and side pillars in the car were completely redone in fabric. also done in fabric was my custom sub enclosure in the trunk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also got rid of the m3 mirrors and sold the smoked tails to go with the stock red ones.
    in addition to this i also replaced my shifter with one from a beetle s. i know im forgetting stuff so i will add it when i remember

7. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yesterday held some good news for the project to go along with my theme. i inherited a set of fully shaved doors for helping out a friend.

the doors need a little bit of work and to be wired up but it saves me from having to weld up the doors that i currently have.

another good thing is that the car should be able to go into the shop for some major welding within the next two weeks and i should be buying my new bumpers to modify.

8. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    sounds like great progress!

9. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    finally able to take the car to the shop tomorrow to put on one of the shaved doors. im only putting on one door for right now so we can figure out how to wire up the door poppers along with a way to get in if the battery dies.

10. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    thank you

11. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so i was able to put my passenger door on yesterday and started a tiny bit of the sanding.
    the door fits really well and i have to order the door poppers this week. as well as add my newer generation mirrors.
    onto the pics...
    8d2f7f7d.jpg 9bb63e97.jpg 14fdd899.jpg 3618c457.jpg

12. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    this weekend was a busy one and i managed to get some stuff done to the door. i installed the 4th gen mirror with a little modification to the door and i also installed a vr6 lip which is about twice as deep as the original one i had.

a couple pieces also got painted to replace some pieces that were messed up.

my brother had to move so i had to pick up my spare motor from his house along with a header i somehow inherited. sanding and cleaning of the header will be done this week so that it can be painted and installed this weekend.

there is also talks going on of a possible supercharger going on the motor once the shop gets all of the pieces for it.

hopefully i can get some pics tomorrow

13. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    here are the pics from this weekend as well as a before and after of cleaning the headers..
    7f8d7966.jpg 25b334e6.jpg 498c18a9.jpg 4523cdec.jpg c53907aa.jpg

14. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so i have painted the headers black and they are waiting install. i also picked up a supercharger for the car and am waiting to talk to neuspeed for what i will need for the install besides a chip.

the door poppers have arrived and are awaiting install but i need a new alarm system first which should be here by the end of next week that way everything can be wired together.

the panels are out of the inside of the car so they dont catch fire while being welded. should have more updated pictured this week when i go to the shop to see my car.

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #15 Minidave, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    What will your total budget be for this project, time it's painted and wheels/tires/lowered/sound sytem/turbo etc are done? Just approximately, don't need to the penny.....I'm just curious since this is a pretty large amount of work.

Also, why did you use this style door, it doesn't seem to have the indentation for the molding that the fender and quarter have, how will you handle the transitions?

Although I've owned quite a few over the years, I'm not really up on the VW scene - why put all the late model stuff on the early car instead of just buying the later model car? Is it just for the custom look, or is there an underlying reason to have the earlier chassis?

16. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so far i have put about 2500 into the car and that includes the price of the car. i will probably spend around 10 grand when everything is done.

now about the door....i am actually having the same thing done to the fender and quarter so there will be no indentation, it is actually currently at the shop for the body work.

i like a few of the late model items which is why i have put them on the car. it also keeps the car "oem" instead of m3 mirrors im just using different vw mirrors, it is more just the custom look. i also think they will flow better once the car is done.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

17. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    They are going to weld a piece of metal in there, not just slather it in bondo, right?

I didn't know if there was a reason other than being able to buy them cheaply that the earlier car was more desireable than the later design (that already has all the cool late model stuff on it! :D )

So you'll have $10K in a $2500 car? Not that I'm talking it down, you would not be the first person to invest inordinate amounts of $$$$ in a labor of love!

Just look at what's on the left in my sig!

Then go here.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505677/1969-jaguar-xke ...
    for my example of this!

:Thumbsup:

18. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yes my buddies shop is doing it correctly. he doesnt want it to be a bad job cause he plans on using the car to show off the skills of his shop in the wuste show in vegas. there should only be about 1/4" of bondo on the panels at most.

i like the body style of the car i just felt that some of the things were better on the later model. to make it "worse" im putting 5th gen seats in the car cause i like the way they feel (more racey) and i wouldnt feel bad for having them rewrapped to compliment the headliner.

they hooked up the door poppers tonight and i should have the video posted of them testing it up tomorrow.

19. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Nice stuff. I am trying to figure out how to control the MK2 mirrors with the MKIV controller. Opposite of what you did :D. Looking forward to getting together at Wuste.

20. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i was able to drop off my new alarm system today as it came in the mail early. i also dropped off the driver door that has already been shaved so that the shop can start wiring the poppers onto it. things are slowly coming together, cause my car is kinda a side project for the shop.
    hopefully welded will get started before next week so i can get some pictures up. until then i have a video of the poppers being tested right after install on the passenger side.
    [ame="http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/wickeddrummer55/Jeffs/jti/?action=view&current=662506cc.mp4"]jti :: 662506cc.mp4 video by wickeddrummer55 - Photobucket[/ame]
    yes i hope to be in the shops booth for wuste with everything that they are doing so i hope to see you and your project there as well