New Project Mini on the Board

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Drewdog63, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have decided to turn my Mini into a dedicated track car and the one that I will be entering into the Big Bend Open Road Race in 2012.

Even though I have seen other peoples project cars going through the transformation it was a“Holy Crap!†moment after I saw my Mini right after liposuction:yikes:

I have a full roll cage, seats and harnesses going in next…more picks to follow!

Attached Files:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is going to be interesting. Subscribing so I don't miss an episode.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Love a good project. Tuning in, just like Nathan. Let the modding begin.

5. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lest anyone else be afflicted with the same madness - I want to chronicle this journey as best I can to discourage or encourage any readers. So a little history is in order –

This Mini is my middle age crazy car. A 2008 British Racing Green MCS that I ordered thru the dealership. I picked him up on 08/08/2008 and it was love at first sight. It’s important to note that from my front door to the dealership is an 11-hour drive (Alpine, Texas to Houston, Texas). 3 months later I was driving to Houston and hit a mule deer while on US 90. I was going 70 mph when I hit the deer and the Mini, literally, saved my life. I have pictures and will post in the appropriate forum.

About $13,000 dollars (Insurance) and 3 months later, I picked up my Mini and drove to MSR Houston and drove my first track HPDE session. You should have seen the look on the faces of the repair shop people when I told them where I was going – they looked like they had just swallowed live piranhas.

Even with Continental run-flats and me being a rookie on the track, I was hooked. My brother had gone with me in his Superformance Cobra and we joked about how we should do a road race. Long story short my brother built a Factory Five Type 65 Daytona Coupe and we ran the Big Bend Open Road Race. If you think track day are fantastic…then an open road race is off-the-hook! I talked to the race promoters and asked how many Mini Coopers have been in the race? They told me only one and it was bone stock.

Clouds parted, Angles sang and I knew what I must do…

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This is going to be interesting...:D

7. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Nice project. Like others, i will be watching/cheering. are cars participating in this event required to be "street legal" (ie current registration, lights, windshield wipers, horns, etc)?

8. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The BBORR runs 5 Divisions from street rod to unlimited. The tech inspection is not based on “street legal†but if you vehicle has the required safety equipment for the category you are running in. Each of the divisions dictates the speed that you need to run. You have to go through driver’s school and qualification.

Last year my brother and I ran his Daytona Coupe in the Grand Touring Division (GT1) last year. We could not exceed 140 mph and our target speed was 115 mph.

The unlimited division winner ran the 118 miles with an average speed of 165 mph.

Attached Files:

9. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I was going to build a FF Daytona Coupe before I decided to do a MINI build.

10. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In panning out this build I wanted to mod Beast Boy over time to not break the bank and be able to get the Mini on the track to work on my driving skills and keep up with the modifications. Loosely I have decided plan the build accordingly –

Gutting
    Safety
    Interior and Gauging
    Suspension
    Brakes
    Exterior Trim
    Power Plant
    Tires

The gutting has been done with the mind set to making Beast Boy as light as possible without cutting lightening holes. If I had been smart I would have gotten a weight before I started the project, but will at the end and I guess that’s the one that counts.
    The safety part is happening now and I was very specific about the major parts.
    The full cage will be a weld-in model from Autopower. The people at Autopower told me if the build was going to be over 2700 Lbs they recommended a cage with 1.75 OD tubing and if under 2700 Lbs then 1.5 OD. I know the car will be less than 2700 Lbs but I went with the 1.75 OD tubing.
    Call me silly, but if the defecation hits the oscillating unit I want the extra ¼ inch…
    There are a lot of seat options out there but I went with Kirkey Series 47 Intermediate Road Race. They “sit†very well and are very solid. My pick for harnesses are Schroth Hybrid II 6-point. I have used a 5-point but under hard braking they got me in the “tendersâ€.
    We are waiting for the roll cage to arrive because that needs to go in first. I will post the pictures when the parts are in.

11. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    6 point is better? I have to say that after a weekend in a 5 point there were tender bit, a 6 seems maybe worse. Also, tip from the pros - for a hot race single layer and long underwear is cooler than multi-layer. And a cool-shirt counts as long underwear :biggrin5:

12. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The idea behind the Schroth 6-point is that the sub-straps are folded to fit more around your thighs than..ahhh...higher. I will let you know if they are big-fat liars. Thanks for the suits tips...a cool shirt is on my Christmas list!

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Having used both a 5 and and a 6 pt harness I dare say a 6 is a lot more comfortable down there.

14. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    On the cage, yes, 1.75 is good, but make sure the wall thickness is at least .065 as per most all racing rules for cars over 2200 lbs, or something like this. Been a while since I have looked at that rule. The 1.5 bar needs to be at least a .095. All tubing MUST be DOM. If you are building a car like this then do it to racing rules of SCCA or BMWCCA, or NASA. It would be a shame to decide one day to actually race the car and have to rip it apart and do it over again to make it legal. Also if you sell it one day it will be very hard to if it's not built by the rules.

Six point harnesses are the minimum right now as per most racing rules. But to use a six point with the two sub straps under the thighs is not a great idea as it leave little resistance towards your shoulder harnesses. The sub strap, between the legs, is what keeps everything in place. This is why I went with a 7 point harness. Make sure your Kirkey is set up for sub thigh straps if this is that way you want to go.

15. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Onasled...Just checked the invoice and the tubing is DOM 1.75 x .120 with the additional door bars (2x per side) per SCCA rules. I did a bad job of describing the 6-point Schroth...both sub-straps are routed through the crotch area but the attachment points are wider under the seat thus crating a gap for the twig and berries...

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Great thread! (Sorry for the meaningless post, but now that I'm in it, it'll be easier to find).

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Paint the roll bar before you weld it in. Much easier that way. :wink:

Sweet project. This rally sounds like a lot of fun.

18. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some new pics!

Attached Files:

19. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Cool. You are going for it.
    Brings back memories... Haaa
    Interesting work area. Is that rental space?

Keep the pics coming.

20. Drewdog63

Drewdog63 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Law Enforcement
    Alpine, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no...My brother convinced me to do the build under close supervision so I worked out a deal with the same shop that helped my brother build his FF Daytona Coupe. I get to do all the very low level work under close supervision in exchange for floor space, tools and a lot of help with the complicated stuff...truth is that there is a lot about this build that is going to be complicated:yesnod:

Some Cage pictures:

Attached Files: